Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

No we aren’t


Recommended Posts

I read a couple of articles in the past few days about how it was a shame that we, the richest and most powerful country in the world, can’t get a better handle on the pandemic.

Now, pandemic, politics etc aside, I began to wonder if that oft repeated statement is true. You hear it from politicians all the time.
I wouldn’t argue with “most powerful”, at least militarily, but are we in fact the top dog economically? After researching for a while through a lot of finance publications, I found that probably we are not. OMG!

Of course it depends on the parameters you use but according to Global Finance Magazine we aren’t even in the top 10. The big dog high rollers are::


10. Switzerland

9. Kuwait

8. UAE

7. Norway

6. Ireland

5. Brunei Darussalam

4. Singapore

3. Luxembourg

2. Macau

1. Qatar

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Odd that none of those countries are in North or South America.

Eduardo Saverin, one of the co-founders of Facebook moved to Singapore several years ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That's richest countries "per capita".

As I said. Parameters vary. But I think Per Capita is a very valid measurement.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Wow! I never suspected Ireland of being a rich country.

 

IIRC

Until the EU mucked it up in the last couple of years Ireland had the one of the lowest tax rates in all of Europe. Lots of multinational businesses headquartered there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ask yourself "Do I want to go live there?" 

 

Find out how much the governments take in taxes.

 

How much Freedom do they have compared to here?

 

Per capita income is only one measure of worth.

 

And, can you own a gun?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Null N. Void said:

Ask yourself "Do I want to go live there?" 

 

Find out how much the governments take in taxes.

 

How much Freedom do they have compared to here?

 

Per capita income is only one measure of worth.

 

And, can you own a gun?

 

Exactly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Null N. Void said:

Ask yourself "Do I want to go live there?" 

 

Find out how much the governments take in taxes.

 

How much Freedom do they have compared to here?

 

Per capita income is only one measure of worth.

 

And, can you own a gun?

I wasn’t suggesting anyone would want to move. Or discussing Worth. Just Wealth. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I read a couple of articles in the past few days about how it was a shame that we, the richest and most powerful country in the world, can’t get a better handle on the pandemic.

Now, pandemic, politics etc aside, I began to wonder if that oft repeated statement is true. You hear it from politicians all the time.
I wouldn’t argue with “most powerful”, at least militarily, but are we in fact the top dog economically? After researching for a while through a lot of finance publications, I found that probably we are not. OMG!

Of course it depends on the parameters you use but according to Global Finance Magazine we aren’t even in the top 10. The big dog high rollers are::


10. Switzerland

9. Kuwait

8. UAE

7. Norway

6. Ireland

5. Brunei Darussalam

4. Singapore

3. Luxembourg

2. Macau

1. Qatar

If I recall correctly:

9. Kuwait we had to rescue from Iraq

7. Norway we had to rescue in WWII

3. Luxembourg: same as #7

Where are the rest of the G7?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

I think number 5 is just a bunch of letters thrown together :D

There’s only 16 people there and they own everything !! :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

I think number 5 is just a bunch of letters thrown together :D

I’ve only ever seen it as Brunei. Apparently it’s officially Negara Brunei Darussalam. Who knew? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is a country that runs a deficit measured in Trillions of dollars a rich country?

 

Duffield

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Wow! I never suspected Ireland of being a rich country.

 

They restructured tax policies that make it attractive for business.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.