SASS Wire Forum

Percussion caps shortage

Possum Skinner, SASS#60697

On 1/26/2021 at 7:15 PM, Hands said:

May want to take a look at LG Outdoors if you are a user of CCI # 11's. In stock at $4.79/1000. Not my first choice, but ordered some anyway.

https://www.lg-outdoors.com/Search/14412

Let me know when you receive them. I have been waiting since 1/11 and have not received any shipping info yet, nor have they replied to my calls or emails. When I purchased they had almost 700 units. 

No. no, no... y'all got yer heads on backwards...  quit shooting Frontiersman until the supply becomes flush again!  Save yer caps for the future, like about 25 years or so.  My match finishes will most likely improve...   Probably still be last, but if it's last out of 5 instead of 15, ain't that an improvement?  :P

With the cap shortage, I just pulled out my flintlocks. So far, no shortage on flint, or chert, and unless someone(s) have combed all the land around here, I can still find something that will spark, if I look for a while. I've even used old arrowheads, that I have found, and I have knapped into shape. 

I guess the gun retailers have not figured out a way, yet, to corner the market on rock varieties that spark...not that they ain't thinking about it. 

Ain't that a shame.

W.K.

The caps I got from my brother cost me nothing.  He paid for them and gave them to me.  I have enough caps to run for the shoots and will try not to pay high prices for raised prices on caps that they have had for the lower price.  On fixed income pennies saved can turn into dollars saved.

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2021 at 11:41 AM, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

With the cap shortage, I just pulled out my flintlocks. So far, no shortage on flint, or chert, and unless someone(s) have combed all the land around here, I can still find something that will spark, if I look for a while. I've even used old arrowheads, that I have found, and I have knapped into shape. 

I guess the gun retailers have not figured out a way, yet, to corner the market on rock varieties that spark...not that they ain't thinking about it. 

Ain't that a shame.

W.K.

That'll certainly give you LOTS of practice on handgun transitions, moving between 10 flintlock pistols for a stage!  ;) :D

Wait... what's the protocol for staging a flintlock pistol?  Frizzen down, cocked or un-cocked hammer?  Can you close the frizzen with the hammer at half-cock? 

On 1/28/2021 at 8:02 AM, doc roy l. pain said:

Let me know when you receive them. I have been waiting since 1/11 and have not received any shipping info yet, nor have they replied to my calls or emails. When I purchased they had almost 700 units. 

My order is supposed to be delivered tomorrow (ordered 1/26).  Fingers crossed.

BS

41 minutes ago, Barry Sloe said:

My order is supposed to be delivered tomorrow (ordered 1/26).  Fingers crossed.

BS

Finally got mine last Monday 

Archived