SASS Wire Forum

Percussion caps shortage

Possum Skinner, SASS#60697

What I read is the same companies that make the caps are devoting all their production to producing primers. That, and the fact that Remington was in flux for a while and all ammo and related had shut down.

Wholesale hunter has CCI Magum Percussion Caps #11 Box of 1000 for $50.79. I got some and not sure how great they are yet, but fit like Rem #10 and add 100+ feet/sec so you could use less powder. Hope this helps.

https://www.wholesalehunter.com/Product/Details/11144590

43 minutes ago, Preacherman said:

Wholesale hunter has CCI Magum Percussion Caps #11 Box of 1000 for $50.79. I got some and not sure how great they are yet, but fit like Rem #10 and add 100+ feet/sec so you could use less powder. Hope this helps.

Thanks, just bought 1,000.

1 hour ago, Preacherman said:

What nipples are you using that they fit like a Rem #10?

I'd like to pick some up but don't want to waste money if they won't work well on ROAs with Slix nipples...

25 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

I'd like to pick some up but don't want to waste money if they won't work well on ROAs with Slix nipples...

We use Rem 10 and CCI 11's, they are the same just a little hotter. When I had my ROAs I found CCI 11s to be better.

kR

2 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

I'd like to pick some up but don't want to waste money if they won't work well on ROAs with Slix nipples

They work fine on my stock Pietta nipples

Hi, I use Slix Shot Nipples. I checked with them and CCI #11 are supposed to work just fine. Yes, shipping does kill ya if you buy small quantities, gotta buy more to spread it out. I bought 7 thousand at $55.44, now they're cheaper, go figure. Shipping was 25.15 with insurance and $17.95 hazmat. Hope this helps. Somebody's buying as there were 21 left earlier today and now down to 14. I ordered 12/11 and there were over 350 thousand then.  Better hurry!

2 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

It's quoting me $40 for shipping and almost $20 for HAZMAT fees.  I'll have to pass.

That's why the last time I ordered some I bought 3k.  Shipping and hazardous are pretty much a flat fee (up to 50 lbs) so it makes it seem a little cheaper. 

BS

Hey Possum, Gander Outdoor near me has never had an issue with having any except last month. I'm hoping it had more to do with Christmas holidays/ hunting season than having any real issue with supply.  I'll find out here in a couple weeks when I go down with Limey for her CT scan/Chemo treatment.  They've had Remington #11 and Winchester Magnum.  Send me a PM with a number I can text you at if they have any.

Clueless

6 hours ago, Clueless Bob said:

Hey Possum, Gander Outdoor near me has never had an issue with having any except last month. I'm hoping it had more to do with Christmas holidays/ hunting season than having any real issue with supply.  I'll find out here in a couple weeks when I go down with Limey for her CT scan/Chemo treatment.  They've had Remington #11 and Winchester Magnum.  Send me a PM with a number I can text you at if they have any.

Clueless

Bob,

I have it taken care of, but thank you.

Possum

A good friend of mine is the owner of a gun shop and shared this.  There has been a resurgence of black powder pistols sales due to limited availability of traditional handguns.  Everything associated with black has sold out in his store and he has to work hard at attaining product.  Thus the reason for another shortage.  The thought of improper use of black   is quite disturbing to me.   I don't know if this is a anomaly limited to Arizona but I was recently offered a very inflated amount of cash for an ROA to use as a home defense weapon.  My ROA's are not for sale.......  

14 minutes ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

I don't know if this is a anomaly limited to Arizona but I was recently offered a very inflated amount of cash for an ROA to use as a home defense weapon. 

Unless you cannot legally own a real firearm or happen to live in a very restricted state, why would anybody opt to use a percussion gun for home defense?

Don't get me wrong I love percussion guns and almost always shoot Frontiersman at SASS matches, but that's just for fun not personal defense. 

56 minutes ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

I don't know if this is a anomaly limited to Arizona but I was recently offered a very inflated amount of cash for an ROA to use as a home defense weapon.  My ROA's are not for sale.......  

I don't know if the person wanted to use your ROA for personal use or was going to try to flip it on Gunbroker.  Fixed sight ROAs are going for around $1200 - $1500 on Gunbroker.  Crazy prices,  but people are buying. 

What a world, 

BS

16 minutes ago, Barry Sloe said:

I don't know if the person wanted to use your ROA for personal use or was going to try to flip it on Gunbroker.  Fixed sight ROAs are going for around $1200 - $1500 on Gunbroker.  Crazy prices,  but people are buying. 

What a world, 

BS

I bought this pair of Pietta 1860s at a gunshop.  

526476403_Pietta1860ArmyDec2020.jpg.5357270739113d8d83621056090f9ec3.jpg

They had this pair of Ruger Old Army.  I went back the next week and got them.

1652524319_RugerOldArmyDec2020.thumb.jpg.e869d5dd2e854dbde13d6e0f9bfe84ef.jpg

They look unfired.  But no boxs, papers or percussion cylinders.  :unsure:

20 hours ago, July Smith said:

Unless you cannot legally own a real firearm or happen to live in a very restricted state, why would anybody opt to use a percussion gun for home defense?

Don't get me wrong I love percussion guns and almost always shoot Frontiersman at SASS matches, but that's just for fun not personal defense. 

My carry revolver has to go back to the manufacturer for timing issues, Last time this happened it was out for 8 weeks and I carried a .22 SAA during that time. sold the .22 I don't feel like buying another gun just to hold me over temporarily until I can get my carry gun back.  I plan to get my 1858 slicked up and shortened before I send my carry gun in.  for as often as I have to shoot something, I'm guessing the '58 will be fine until my .357 is safely back in my pants...  Rule #1, have a gun...

Edit: to answer your question, I'm buying all the percussion caps I can find right now, so far, I've got 300 :D 

Is this where I can become a millionary?  $20 per cap!  The price people are asking is stupid high.  A local guy has a case of CCI's that his price is about $0.15 a cap.  He has had them for a long time and thinks that they are GOLD.  I was lucky as my brother found me 6 tins of CCI for $6.98/tin, with the 6 tins I had it should keep me shooting for a few matches if they open up around us.

Went and looked but with shipping hazmat it $0.084/cap.  Way to high for me.  Last time I got 1000 Remington #11's my cost per cap was $0.041 with shipping and hazmat.  I know prices on shipping is up but not that much

SUBTOTAL
$47.87
ESTIMATED SHIPPING
$33.30
HAZMAT FEES
$17.95
ORDER TOTAL
$84.52

1 hour ago, Pee Wee #15785 said:

Went and looked but with shipping hazmat it $0.084/cap.  Way to high for me.  Last time I got 1000 Remington #11's my cost per cap was $0.041 with shipping and hazmat.  I know prices on shipping is up but not that much

SUBTOTAL
$47.87
ESTIMATED SHIPPING
$33.30
HAZMAT FEES
$17.95
ORDER TOTAL
$84.52

Either buy a chunk for yourself or go in with someone and buy at least 3k. The hazmat and shipping costs are pretty flat rate, so you're spreading those fees over multiple orders. It helps a little. 

BS

Previous post noted a purchase from brother at .0698 per cap. Then has a mid-air stall for the same cap at .0845 per cap for a difference of .0147 per cap when they are for the most part nonexistent on vendor's shelves or online retailers. Didn't know one and a half pennies figured in to the enjoyment of making a billow of smoke! As the saying goes, "YMMV."

There are times when it is better to pay a little more and have them in hand, than to cry about that extra cost and run out after a few months. 

I put a few of these CCIs on order. If everything blows over in a few months then I will look foolish.  There are predictions that the shortage could run to the end of summer or later.  If so, I will still be shooting. 

Stay safe, 

BS

And, you can always sell them.

My bet is that you won't lose $$, but it would be a drag to lose shooting time over a few dollars.

--Dawg

Archived