SASS Wire Forum

Making a hat

Buckshot Bob

That was intriguing.  I have a cheaply made fedora in pecan that I bought a few years ago.  I also have an olive fedora in an Indians Jones style.  I wear 7-3/8, but this nicer hat is a smidge too snug.  I’ve been debating whether to get a Stetson fedora, which I hope would fit better.

here’s the Jones hat:

443C3BEF-0A2C-49DE-A4A1-9BB3874A1DA7.jpeg

I have a Nathaniel's of Colorado (has moved to Texas now) custom hat that I have had for 15 years that is amazing. I love it, worth every penny I paid for it. It's the one I am wearing in my avatar.

Hey, what is the material called used to fill in a hat that is just a little too big?

1 hour ago, DeaconKC said:

Hey, what is the material called used to fill in a hat that is just a little too big?

Ego?  :)

I remember I think it was 1996 I was in OKC with my wife while attending training (one of many, many times) with the FAA and my son came up to visit.  He wanted a good cowboy hat and we took him to, i think it was Teners in Reno, and bought him  the hat.  It took the hatmaker a while to fit the hat to his head, and he is the only one that can wear it comfortably.  We were really impressed with the procedure.  When it was all over two of the girls that worked at the place told my son (in a real sassy  Okie drawl)  "Don't lay it on the bed!".

BTW, to all you Okies out there, thanks.  I really enjoyed OKC.

D Bar J you-tube channel - lots of videos on making, cleaning, history, etc.

Some people think that his hats are too expensive.  Cost is relative, but you definitely get quality and great customer service from David.

If you don't want to spend as much, check out his crappy cowboy hats.  Most people would be hard pressed to find the blemish that David calls out.  These hats are significantly less expensive but are still the same high quality, maybe with a blemish (if you can find it).  That said, people seem to be paying money to have hats covered in dirt and stains from the company - aged they call it.  I do well enough staining my own hats.

I have no vested interest in the company but I am a happy repeat customer.  Between my wife and myself I think we have six of his hats that I bought on sale/discount or are his crappy cowboy hats.

20 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

The amazing thing to me is that he didn’t have a fedora or a cowboy hat.

2 hours ago, South-Eye Ned said:

The amazing thing to me is that he didn’t have a fedora or a cowboy hat.

Ian is into historical arms especially French military arms.  The arms are either those used by police or military or guns that were marketed to them.  A cowboy or cavalry hat are expensive compared to the hats in his collection.   Also, I doubt he would play a 7th Cav officer or NCO in a two gun match.

Archived