SASS Wire Forum

Case head separation extraction

Abilene, SASS # 27489

Last weekend a fellow shooter had his .357 '73 jam on the next to last stage.  At the unloading table, he noticed the firing pin sliding forward out of the bolt - that's not going to get repaired before the next stage, so I loaned him my '73 carbine for the last stage.  Well wouldn't you know it, he had a case head separation in the middle of the rifle string.  A.D. was with me and he has one of Shotgun Boogie's case extractors, but it was at home.  So gave the '73 to him to take with him.  Well, the extractor didn't work.  So he tried a jag with a tight patch, tried patches on brushes, and tapped a 158gr bullet down the bore (this has worked for him 3 times in the past), but that didn't work either and he tried several times. It was like that cylinder of brass was welded to the chamber.  Gunsmith Lonnie Amman said to take a 45 Colt brush inserted from the breech end, then pull it into the chamber to get the bristles angled back towards the front lip of the brass and then push it out.  Well, that didn't work either.  I took a brass punch and put it against the rear edge of the brass in the chamber and tapped but could not get the brass to break loose.  So I had an idea to stack up those bullets back into the bore that had been pushed through, then close the bolt, and start tapping them into the face of the bolt through the bore.  I figured that would not be as much force against the bolt as a .357 round going off and so should be safe for the rifle.  The idea was to get the lead bullets inside the brass in the chamber to obturate until they grabbed the brass better.  Well, it worked.  So this is just an FYI for others who might have difficulty.  I previously did a search on the topic and about the only other technique which we did not try was to fill the chamber with cerrosafe (which we did not have) and then poke it out.

2 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Lassiter in Ohio makes them. I have one. Luckily I haven't had to use it yet.;)

In those searches, there were mentions of Lassiter's plus it had also failed for some.  I guess not all situations are the same.  I've heard of people who have one on their belt.  You would REALLY have to be sharp to figure out on a stage that this was the problem and work it out on the clock.  :)

50 minutes ago, Brazos Bo said:

This is what I used when the brushes and packed patches didn't work.

3/8" for .38/.357 works kinda like an "EZ Out". 

IMG_0013.thumb.JPG.f179eaed9bdd5ee2f74df0156d9bbc27.JPG

I like low-tech! (and low $$)  Thanks!  Maybe a little slow to use on the line.  :)

If you have a real stubborn one cerrosafe a cleaning rod and a old bore brush works great , you can use it again and again.

even do some chamber casts if you want 

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/barrel-tools/barrel-chamfering-accessories/cerrosafe-chamber-casting-alloy-prod384.aspx

11 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

In those searches, there were mentions of Lassiter's plus it had also failed for some.  I guess not all situations are the same.  I've heard of people who have one on their belt.  You would REALLY have to be sharp to figure out on a stage that this was the problem and work it out on the clock.  :)

I would never try using it on the clock, I'm not that into winning the Cadillac !!!:P

32 minutes ago, Nate Kiowa Jones #6765 said:

Shoulda gave me a shout. I always have some cerrosafe on hand. I don't even bother with all those other ways. Just stuff a patch in to just in front of the chamber fill er up with the cerrosafe. Then push it all out with a brass rod. Never failed me yet.

I see by Buckshot Bob's link that it's only $15 for a half pound.  I'll get some next time I order from them, could come in handy for other stuff.  I've heard of these things happening, but I've never had it happen nor seen it happen before this.  Lots of my brass has cannalures, I may try to pay attention and load those in pistols as much as possible.  I know the rich guys just throw them away and buy new starline. ^_^

edit: I have no idea why the quoted text highlighted like that.

Archived