SASS Wire Forum

110 grn Sierra tipped gameking for quarter bores

Perro Del Diablo

After 1st of year Sierra announced the introduction of a .257 tipped gameking 110 grains. I have been looking daily until they were in stock. Couple days ago they showed yes but I couldn’t get to take my order. I called support and was told that they are not and shouldn’t have been listed as. Today I checked again and tried to order and yippie it took. I now have 1000 ordered. If they work in my Bob as well as my daughters 243 I’m going to be ecstatic. I may even just go ahead and sell the Hornady SST +p stuff. 

Maybe he meant did THAT he used a tipped Sierra Game King and IN his daughter's 243, and if this new one work is well in his 257 as the one he has been using in his 243...

I have found the Hornady SST bullet to be a far better bullet than the Sierra ....

The Sierra's tend to blow-up on close range shots in the 25-06 Rem.

The SST holds together better ... The Bob won't be quite as hard on them and might work ....

Jabez Cowboy 

I load the Interbond for Kaya's .243. I've loaded the SST for my .270 to try next season. From my understanding, the SST is just a tipped Interbond. If that is the case I'm happy. Great bullets.

I’ve loaded the ballistic silver tips for my wife’s 243 , she’s shot a couple at 40 yards and the bullet has held together well . Don’t know if the black coating actually reduces copper fouling but I got a good deal on them and they shoot great 

16 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

I have found the Hornady SST bullet to be a far better bullet than the Sierra ....

The SST holds together better ... The Bob won't be quite as hard on them and might work ....

Jabez Cowboy 

3 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I load the Interbond for Kaya's .243. I've loaded the SST for my .270 to try next season. From my understanding, the SST is just a tipped Interbond. If that is the case I'm happy. Great bullets.

My experience with SST was my son shot a blackbuck at 120 yards with his 308 she maybe weighed 60 lbs it exploded inside and I was picking shards out like little wires it didn’t have an exit wound. This last season a 50 yard shot on my on 125 lb whitetail went through him but absolutely no blood trail. Stumbled on him by searching direction he ran not even blood on ground where he laid. 60 lb pig went straight down and kicked for little while. 80 lb axis doe went nearly 100 yards again no blood trail just happened to find her by searching are in direction she ran. My daughter has taken 4 animals last 2 years using the Sierra tgk in her 243 with no need to track because they didn’t go far. This year she got a 225 lb red deer that didn’t go 10 yards.

17 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Jabez Cowboy 

I've been loading Sierra Game kings in my 25-06 for since the 1970's and love them I use the 117gr boat tails and have killed over 100 deer and antelope with this bullet. NEVER had the problem you say you have had. I have had the SST blow up on an antelope in my .257 Wby.

2012 Wyoming antelope wound.JPG

1 hour ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

I've been loading Sierra Game kings in my 25-06 for since the 1970's and love them I use the 117gr boat tails and have killed over 100 deer and antelope with this bullet. NEVER had the problem you say you have had. I have had the SST blow up on an antelope in my .257 Wby.

I will be going to the Sierra and no longer use Hornady unless I use GMX or for varmint only

I'm a fan of the Nosler Ballistic Tip but got a good deal on the SST's. Shot a buck last year with my cast, gas checked bullet and my dad's .30-30. That was a cheap bullet. :D

1 hour ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Pard : the 117 Gr. BT bullet is not the One being Discussed .... I too have used the 117 Bt bullet .... I have gone to the 115 gr. Nostler Accubond bullets in my 25-06

They Chronograph 3,2 24 Fps. out of my gun ....  The 110 gr . bullet being discussed is a little soft for our deer up here ... 

All the best to you ...

Jabez Cowboy

I realize you were talking about the 110 gr, I just think the 117 bt is the best .25 cal bullet made....performance counts!

Archived