SASS Wire Forum

Back to Work Unemployed at 64 Back to Work!

Marshal Hangtree

Yeah, that stinks. Good luck in your search. My company sold out and I quit the new outfit several years ago. For decades if you had a license and a pulse you had your pick of jobs. Things sure have changed.  Sure doesn't help when you're on the wrong side of 50. Job hunting is a real PITA nowdays.

JHC

I was in a similar boat to you back when I got laid off in 2009 in my middle 50s.   As much as I hated to do it, I sold off a load of guns and ammunition to have cash to pay the bills and mortgage that unemployment  compensation wouldn't be enough to cover.  What I sold were things I thought would be commercially feasible to replace later.  The guys at the auction house and I still chuckle about how I drove in with the frame of my car practically riding on the axles from the load.

What  kept me from losing everything was an employment agency that specialized in placement of attorneys for projects.  I applied and was accepted for a project that was initially listed as being four weeks of work and I ended up being on that project for six months.  That kept me from dissipating my assets until I was able to get a permanent full -time job.  So my suggestion is to look for an employment agency that specializes in your profession that can place you for project employment until you can find a permanent job.  Best wishes and good luck to you.

On 1/22/2021 at 1:29 PM, Marshal Hangtree said:

Thanks, Allie.  That's the first thing I did when I got home yesterday.  First time in my life that I've applied for unemployment benefits.

Just remember, both you and your employer paid into that against this eventuality. 

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

Just remember, both you and your employer paid into that against this eventuality. 

Hey Doc.  Yep, I've been paying unemployment tax since I was a teenager, and have never made a claim.  I don't feel guilty one damned bit for making m claim now, and riding that pony as long as legal and necessary.

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Only employers pay into UI.

It is a tax that would otherwise be used to increase the company’s bottom line, and wages for employees. Also, If I’m not mistaken, Federal and State taxes also go into the fund. All of which means we end up paying.

Marshal Hangtree, I don't know anything about your labour laws, but here in Ontario, Canada you would have experienced "A Constructive Dismissal" and would be entitled to severance pay determined by the length of you employment. For a long term employee, it can amount to thousands or the equivalent of a year or three salary.

If it was determined the termination was age based or to avoid benefits, you could be VERY well off in your retirement.

It has been found here that even when a severance package was offered by some employers, it fell far short of what employees were entitled to or what was mandated by law.

I recommend you consult a labour lawyer.

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

It is a tax that would otherwise be used to increase the company’s bottom line, and wages for employees. Also, If I’m not mistaken, Federal and State taxes also go into the fund. All of which means we end up paying.

Only if the employer chooses to increase wages, would no UI tax benefit the employee that way. No employee Federal or State taxes pay into the fund, only employer taxes.

22 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Only if the employer chooses to increase wages, would no UI tax benefit the employee that way. No employee Federal or State taxes pay into the fund, only employer taxes.

Thanks for the clarification. I certainly thought otherwise, hence the ability of the government to extend benefits. Yes, the employer would need to offer greater pay and benefits, which is an entirely different discussion. Certainly, the bottom line would be improved.

5 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Only employers pay into UI.

As my former boss told the unemployment tribunal, when they denied my claim, that that money came out of my pocket just as if they had billed me for it.  Said that if he hadn’t had to pay it to them, he would have paid it to me!!

He also told them that if I didn’t receive my unemployment benefits, he would NEVER pay them another dime!!

I didn’t get my benefits and he went to his grave having never paid so much as another red cent to unemployment!!

It’s just like “corporate taxes”!!  Corporations don’t pay taxes!!  They pass those costs on to the customers!!  If the gooberment raises taxes on corporations, you and I pay those taxes, ALL OF THEM!! EVERY TIME!!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, good news.  I was hired this morning as a Manufacturing Engineer by Anvil Manufacturing in Ozark, Alabama.  It's only a 30 minute drive, salary is reasonable, and most of all they have good medical insurance.  So Monday morning, no more wandering aimlessly around the property or perusing the internet for jobs.  BACK TO WORK!

• Marshal Hangtree changed the title to Back to Work Unemployed at 64 Back to Work!
3 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Well, good news.  I was hired this morning as a Manufacturing Engineer by Anvil Manufacturing in Ozark, Alabama.  It's only a 30 minute drive, salary is reasonable, and most of all they have good medical insurance.  So Monday morning, no more wandering aimlessly around the property or perusing the internet for jobs.  BACK TO WORK!

Congrats!

3 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Congrats.  We can use a manufacturing engineer here, but your drive into Los Angeles would be brutal from Buzzard Hill.

Yep, Los Angeles would be a bit of a stretch from Buzzard Hill.  Everybody always refers to the section of the state as "L.A.", standing for Lower Alabama.  Cheers Barney.

6 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

I just got the word about your new job.  Congratulations and best wishes.

On 1/21/2021 at 3:47 PM, Marshal Hangtree said:

Thanks, all.  We'll make it somehow.  I wonder how I'd look in one of those orange Home Depot vests?

The good thing is I'm still in relatively good health, but my wife's health is a different matter.  I have to go find something with decent health insurance quickly.

If you know a wrench from a screwdriver they’ll probably make you a Department Mgr.

1 hour ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Good news, any snow to contend with?

Imis

Thankfully no, no snow.  Just unrelenting cold rain.  We can deal with that just fine.  Unlike the poor folks in TX, KS, LA, and others.  We still have electricity, plenty of food, and plenty of firewood.  We are very thankful that our area didn't catch the brunt of that winter storm.

Archived