SASS Wire Forum

Extended traveling on a budget

Chief Rick

3 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

We're not much further behind you in age, but still like (love) our creature comforts.  I'm particularly fond of a bathroom that I don't have to get dressed to use a couple times a night.

The cost of these small campers blows my mind.

Maybe a repurposed cargo trailer will be a viable option.

Go to your mom and pop trailer sales.

I was able to buy our 33' 5th wheel for 10k...it was 10 years old and in emmaculate shape! We plan to keep it till the end...wich ever of us go 1st!

We do use ours at least 10 times a year. One match is 3 weeks of stay, so we wanted the room.

We bought the second, for a hunting/weekender...it made no sence to haul the 5th to a one day shoot.

Again, got this fairly new 20' for 7k.

I know there are good deals out there. The small one was a consignment, and the lady was willing to drop the price.

We were blessed to have found the deals when the finances were right.

I have found that when the time is right, the right rig will be there for ya!

God provides our needs...and most of our wants.

Check with Pony Soldier out of OK.

He went the cargo rig...and a year later bought a trailer.

He might have insight for you.

Buying a 2-5 year old well maintained RV ,,, Is the way to Go Just about All new units have lot's of bugs that need to be worked out ...

The Quality of newly built units ,,,,,,, Isn't ,,, We bought our Class C unit new as that was the only way at the time to get a  Chevy  and NOT a Ford ...

The Chevy part has been a Dream ,,,,, The "Thor " built  Part has been a nightmare .... But 3 years later most of the bugs are dealt with ....

Jabez Cowboy

7 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

We're not much further behind you in age, but still like (love) our creature comforts.  I'm particularly fond of a bathroom that I don't have to get dressed to use a couple times a night.

The cost of these small campers blows my mind.

Maybe a repurposed cargo trailer will be a viable option.

Be patient and shop around.  Have seen trailer prices vary by 75% from dealer to dealer for the exact same trailer.

Also look at used campers. We got a great deal on a gently used camper. Again patience pays. We shopped off and on for 4 months before we found what we wanted.

46 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Be patient and shop around.  Have seen trailer prices vary by 75% from dealer to dealer for the exact same trailer.

Also look at used campers. We got a great deal on a gently used camper. Again patience pays. We shopped off and on for 4 months before we found what we wanted.

Yup. Found an Alaskan Outback, smaller 5th wheel that I loved...but at the time we didn't have the finances to buy out right, and were not eligable for the in house financing.

That was my 'God thing' saying, nope, not yours.

I found the 5th about 10 yrs later, and everything fell in place with ease! Had it home in 3 days...on our 4th year with it, and don't know what we would do without it.

BUT... We can park it on our property. I would not have one if I had to store it at a unit in town.

7 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Yup. Found an Alaskan Outback, smaller 5th wheel that I loved...but at the time we didn't have the finances to buy out right, and were not eligable for the in house financing.

That was my 'God thing' saying, nope, not yours.

I found the 5th about 10 yrs later, and everything fell in place with ease! Had it home in 3 days...on our 4th year with it, and don't know what we would do without it.

BUT... We can park it on our property. I would not have one if I had to store it at a unit in town.

After having a TT already, I KNOW what I want if we get another.

It doesn't need slide outs but we want a shorter/smaller camper with floor space.  I would really like a small bumper pull toy hauler, with a queen size bed in the nose, a toilet/shower in the middle, and then nothing but floor with a fridge/microwave and fold down counter on each side.  No longer than 20 feet of camper plus the hitch and rear bumper.

If I start looking around/shopping and see what's available, maybe something else, slightly different, will call out to us.

We are not in a rush and just have to listen - AND HEED - that inner voice.

Archived