SASS Wire Forum

SE Regional "Ambush at Cavern Cove" 2021

Barkeep Casey

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

You should see if you could shoot all the stages on Saturday.  There are two waves.

Thanks but I only have 14 hours of vacation left. The drive alone is 12 hours each way.

Besides 3/4 of the fun is all the activities  and fellowship that happens before and after the actual shooting. That is what makes driving that far worth it.

2 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Thanks but I only have 14 hours of vacation left. The drive alone is 12 hours each way.

Besides 3/4 of the fun is all the activities  and fellowship that happens before and after the actual shooting. That is what makes driving that far worth it.

That's a long drive!!  I hadn't thought of that.  It's only about 3 hours for me.  Maybe next year!

2 hours ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Feel free to post the questions in the comments on the video where I will answer them!

I posted 1 question on stages 1-5 and 2 questions on 6-10.  Thanks, I figure if I thought of them others would too. 

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Sure wish I could make this match. :(

Unfortunately I have run out of vacation for this year. :(

Enjoy your match this weekend in the lone star state.  And say hello to my pard @La Sombra

18 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I posted 1 question on stages 1-5 and 2 questions on 6-10.  Thanks, I figure if I thought of them others would too. 

Just saw them come up. I believe that I have them all answered with references from the stage instructions and the SASS Shooter's Handbook where appropriate. Please let me know if I missed replying to one.  

12 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

While that is a great reason to be 2nd in that chart I was curious about the uptick in participation that year.  Still fuzzy though, could be The Triple Crown(last leg) or could be getting to shoot with Alchemist Belle...

It was the final leg of the Triple Crown. Unfortunately, we did not have Belle as a recruiting tool at that time due to the fact that the shoot-through for the Tennessee State match helpers was on the same weekend as Ambush. Both her and Branchwater shot Ambush's shoot-through in order to participate in Alabama's State match which is their home state.  Tennessee and Alabama shares custody of the Dupree family although Alabama only gets every other weekend and some holidays. :)

Some behind-the-scenes stuff you might be interested in: For years Whiskey Hayes and I have tried to schedule the Tennessee State and Ambush (be it state or regional) to make the matches avoid conflict scheduling conflicts for both shooters who travel all the time and those who have difficulty shooting two big matches on consecutive weekends. As you know, in 2022 the two matches are months apart.

When it comes to How To Put On A Good CAS Match concept, I've always taken the Sam Walton approach; check out what others are doing and copy what they do best. In the case of Whiskey and the Tennessee match, he could have written the book as there has always been much good to copy. Tennessee has  always been a great show.

To ramble on a bit more: I first met Branchwater Jack in 2010 at the Tennessee State match where he was serving as a berm marshal. I'll never forget the first time I saw him. Here was this fellow wearing what appeared to be the dirtiest pants and the most ragged shoes I had ever seen on anyone other than old photos from the depression and before. I remember thinking, "This guy is too poor to play this game. I hope he doesn't have a family who is suffering in order to enable him to play." Later the same day I attended the banquet only to see him in the fanciest Civil War Cadet uniform I had ever seen, or have seen since. It turns out that he made it himself. The pants and shoes from earlier that day were from his Civil War reenactment days.

A year later I would attend the last match at Possum Trot where I shared a cabin with Randy St. Eagle, Tombstone John, Dobber, and Branchwater. Branchwater ended up on the bunk above me and that is where I first began to get to know the most anal retentive friend. . .of all my anal retentive friends. At the 2013 Ambush shoot-through I got an inside look to his thought processes regarding stage design. Where had he 'trained?' Tennessee. 

Every stage you will see at Ambush, Jack (uh, Branchwater, uh Ryan) knows how far each target is away, the space between targets, how it affects a left handed shooter, a two-handed shooter, a duelist, a gunfighter, a black powder shooter, any combination thereof, and other things I have not thought of. I tried recruiting him for years, but he always told me he would not be deeply involved in match management until Donald Duke was out of high school. Well, two years ago the North Alabama Regulators needed a stage writer on short notice and I sweet talked him into doing it even though Duke is still in school. Branchwater's first big match to write was the 2019 regional immediately on the heels of a few NAR matches where he did his best to test ideas. His stages are popular to say the least and I can only imagine what our numbers would be by now had we not had Covid to deal with in 2020 and 2021. 

The fact is I have what I believe to be an incredible team gathered to play hosts to everyone. Barkeep Casey is my sounding board for basically everything that goes on. He is also chief bartender Thursday and Friday evening as well as emcee Saturday night. 

Graywolf Tate manages range maintenance (which is a lot on a range where most stages are out of their teens as well as playing chef to everyone Thursday evening. 

Drake Robey handles registration, shooter packs, too many other details to list, and ultimately scoring. He has served more time on the board than anyone and recently became one of the land owners. 

Toolman is responsible for awards, runs side matches, and oversees the costume contest. These are jobs that are often taken for granted. 

Big Iron Ranger is the newest member of the board and serves as secretary, chief communicator, and keep me straight-or. That's a handful for sure. 

Reno Mustang is our TG and is possibly the most well traveled of all of us. . .and that is saying something because there are a number of us who have been around the block a time or two and bringing back what we've seen and liked.

And the Co-posse marshals: They are not accidents or just whoever happened to be available. They have been chosen based on observation of their knowledge of the game, their sense of fair play, and willingness to apply the rules. I use two in order to spread the load (it is a distraction to run a posse, particularly at a big match) and to hopefully prevent them from being approached with a problem while at the loading table. 

Okay. Anyone who read this far, I'll buy you a beer at Barkeep's bar. :)

@Buck D. Law, SASS #62183 tell Barkeep to have that ready for me at 5pm sharp ;)

You sure do have a great team. I started in 2011 at Wartrace and then met you at Hoover I think that was 2014, Mustang Lewis(Cody) still remembers you well. I keep saying I've got to get down that way more often because those two clubs are just excellent. 

16 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

No beer for me thanks, I’m holding out for the good stuff.  One smokey old fashion Barkeep ;)

This should be a fun experiment! Can't wait to give them a try.

Seems there was some sort of welcoming gift on my trailer we we got back today.

IMG_20211020_160756343~2.jpg

2 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Possum Williams must already be there.  I suggest you slip that back to him.  He stuck me with one at TN State, but when I gave it back to him the hex went with it, or at least that's his excuse.

I'm heading out about 7 am tomorrow.  The rest of the crew will be coming over when they get out of school. 

5 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Possum Williams must already be there.  I suggest you slip that back to him.  He stuck me with one at TN State, but when I gave it back to him the hex went with it, or at least that's his excuse.

I'm heading out about 7 am tomorrow.  The rest of the crew will be coming over when they get out of school. 

Nope! I'm not there yet, buy I suspect a good cohort of mine is:ph34r:

I'm still loading ammo!

TN Williams has not crossed the border yet. That is powerful voodoo but you are blaming the wrong Shaman. Let the shenanigans begin!

35 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Nope! I'm not there yet, buy I suspect a good cohort of mine is:ph34r:

I'm still loading ammo!

Whut!  Still loading?  I got everything loaded up except a few black powder accoutrements! 

I need to make a dipper and cut out some felt wads.  Then I'll be ready.   

Anyone comes near me with any hex stuff is getting bear mace.

12 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Whut!  Still loading?  I got everything loaded up except a few black powder accoutrements! 

I need to make a dipper and cut out some felt wads.  Then I'll be ready.   

Anyone comes near me with any hex stuff is getting bear mace.

Why BB, that sounds like a challenge!:ph34r:

14 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

GREAT NEWS!! Last night, after dancing around my trailer naked three times at midnight while chanting the Ohio State fight song and waving the State of Ohio flag, I am certain that I was able to reverse the hex and drive away the evil Bama spirits. Through incantations I summoned the spirit of our beloved Woody Hayes that assured me this would be effective even though performed the night AFTER the full moon.....time will tell.....we'll see.

GO BUCS!

7 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

GREAT NEWS!! Last night, after dancing around my trailer naked three times at midnight while chanting the Ohio State fight song and waving the State of Ohio flag, I am certain that I was able to reverse the hex and drive away the evil Bama spirits. Through incantations I summoned the spirit of our beloved Woody Hayes that assured me this would be effective even though performed the night AFTER the full moon.....time will tell.....we'll see.

GO BUCS!

Seamus, I sure hope you danced counter-clockwise around your trailer, remember everything in Bamalama is bass-ackwards...

Watch out for them sneaky chicken feet!

10 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

There was a shooter that shall remain nameless that had a large jar of those chicken feet at Wartrace. Haven't checked the shooters list but I'll bet he is lurking around the campfire tonight.

I seen him and the chicken feet! 

Growing up poor in rural Michigan, we had Chicken Feet for supper many times.  

Also BBQ Turkey Knuckles...now those were gooo-ood!

Five stages are in the books. We've got five more tomorrow.

So, is your team odds on favorite to win the coveted trail driver award?

Or did a fumble or two take you guys out of the running?

We couldn't have asked for a better weather day than what we ended up with today. We're going to try to dial one up again tomorrow.

Archived