SASS Wire Forum

NFA

Dirty Dan Dawkins

I have started to wonder if some sort  of “compromise” will try to be struck on “assault weapons” where , as in fully automatic weapons, the firearm may or may not be tax stamped but the manufacture will be ceased although you could buy pre 202x year “assault rifles.” The supply and demand affect of this would ultimately price these arms beyond a reasonable threshold.

And maybe this idea has been floated. 

Or, taking a page from the Canadian Prime Minister's play book, grab an incident before learning all the facts (Or before the facts come out!) and simply ban all types or variations and makes of a particular firearm, by Executive Action, with no debate or hearings.

56 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I have started to wonder if some sort  of “compromise” will try to be struck on “assault weapons” where , as in fully automatic weapons, the firearm may or may not be tax stamped but the manufacture will be ceased although you could buy pre 202x year “assault rifles.” The supply and demand affect of this would ultimately price these arms beyond a reasonable threshold.

And maybe this idea has been floated. 

Gun control is not so much a Democrat vs Republican thing as it is a urban/suburb vs suburb/rural thing.  There are at least 2 or 3 fairly pro-gun Democrats and at least one Independent in the Senate who have opposed an "assault weapon" ban.  There are probably more members in the House who recognize that voting for gun control could cost them their seats in 2022 and pretty much nothing is more important to them then keeping their seat in Congress.

And anything Congress does pass could be struck down by the Supreme Court.

59 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Gun control is not so much a Democrat vs Republican thing as it is a urban/suburb vs suburb/rural thing.  There are at least 2 or 3 fairly pro-gun Democrats and at least one Independent in the Senate who have opposed an "assault weapon" ban.  There are probably more members in the House who recognize that voting for gun control could cost them their seats in 2022 and pretty much nothing is more important to them then keeping their seat in Congress.

I respectfully disagree, it's a DEMOCRAT thing 99.9% of the time!!

1 hour ago, Chantry said:

and when they decide to add four more seats to SCOTUS?  :angry:

2 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Or, taking a page from the Canadian Prime Minister's play book, grab an incident before learning all the facts (Or before the facts come out!) and simply ban all types or variations and makes of a particular firearm, by Executive Action, with no debate or hearings.

Wait! That wasn't first used in the US?

There was once an act in this country that created the birth of this country...

There may come at time when such acts must be thwarted in similar fashion.

https://www.mcall.com/opinion/readers-react/mc-american-revolution-gun-control-schuon-20150418-story.html

24 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

I disagree, it's more like 99.5% of the time.  90% of those don't know what it means but they still want it.

24 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

I disagree, it's more like 99.5% of the time.  90% of those don't know what it means but they still want it.

I can’t think of one Republican that came up with a gun control bill!

3 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I still don't know how he managed to do that and get away with it. Isn't there going to be a court or legislative challenge, or does Trudeau wear a crown now?

2 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I still don't know how he managed to do that and get away with it. Isn't there going to be a court or legislative challenge, or does Trudeau wear a crown now?

It was done without Parliamentary debate, by an Order In Council, (OIC) drafted by the PM's office (PMO) and signed into law by the Governor General, Julie Payette.

It is being challenged in court, but with Canadian courts stacked with left leaning Judges, it may not get far. 

Meanwhile, the intent of the government is to use tax dollars to "Buy-Back" the newly prohibited, legally owned firearms.

In regards to the second part of you question, Trudeau took part in a self coronation. 

15 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

It was done without Parliamentary debate, by an Order In Council, (OIC) drafted by the PM's office (PMO) and signed into law by the Governor General, Julie Payette.

It is being challenged in court, but with Canadian courts stacked with left leaning Judges, it may not get far. 

Meanwhile, the intent of the government is to use tax dollars to "Buy-Back" the newly prohibited, legally owned firearms.

In regards to the second part of you question, Trudeau took part in a self coronation. 

Well, things are sometimes little better here in the states. Emperor Andrew Cuomo of New York pushed his SAFE Act (which included an assault weapons ban) through the state legislature without allowing for the usual floor debate. They voted on it right away and it became law before anyone could even say "hey, wait a minute..."

14 minutes ago, Steel-eye Steve SASS #40674 said:

Not a bill, but George Bush Sr. was responsible for the 1989 Assault Weapons Import Ban. 

You're correct as POTUS he signed it into law but he didn't come up with it. He was forced to because he was a wimp! All the bills are written by Democrats as far as I know. That's why I said 99.9% :P

6 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Toomey , I think he’s from PA . I’m sure there’s a few others . 

Did he actually come up with a gun control bill himself? 

41 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

You're correct as POTUS he signed it into law but he didn't come up with it. He was forced to because he was a wimp! All the bills are written by Democrats as far as I know. That's why I said 99.9% :P

Actually, it was an executive order.

40 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Did he actually come up with a gun control bill himself? 

No he partnered with Manchin . They wanted bipartisan gun control. He was still a sponsor . Either way he’s not a friend of gun owners. 
We need a viable 3rd party that actually takes the constitution as more than a suggestion 

48 minutes ago, Steel-eye Steve SASS #40674 said:

Actually, it was an executive order.

It was a ban on imports not domestic.

20 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

No he partnered with Manchin . They wanted bipartisan gun control. He was still a sponsor . Either way he’s not a friend of gun owners. 
We need a viable 3rd party that actually takes the constitution as more than a suggestion 

That’s why I originally said 99.9% of gun control is democrat. 

53 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

That’s why I originally said 99.9% of gun control is democrat. 

Totally agree, but the there’s a few republicans that are just as bad . They just need to be primaried 

47 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Totally agree, but the there’s a few republicans that are just as bad . They just need to be primaried 

Absolutely!!! Start with Romney!! He signed an assault weapons ban when he was governor in Massachusetts I believe!

On 1/21/2021 at 2:02 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

It was a ban on imports not domestic.

That is why AK's, FAL's, H&K PT-91's are a lot more expensive than they were before the EO.  A minimum of 3 parts from a list have to be US mfg.  A lot of the "new" AK's are made from used parts kits.

On 1/21/2021 at 7:18 AM, Chantry said:

Not this Supreme Court. Robert’s is no conservative.

Archived