SASS Wire Forum

Last Man Standing

Raylan

While not as good as A Fist Full of Dollars - is still is entertaining. I think my favorite line is from the corrupt sheriff played wonderfully by Bruce Dern talking to Bruce Willis character John Smith - “Do yourself a favor. First thing, get a firearm.”

The cast of veteran actors Bruce Willis, Bruce Dern, William Sanderson, Christopher Walken, Ken Jenkins, and R. D. Call really make the movie in the scenes they play off each other. The idea of remaking A Fist Full of Dollars ,itself a remake of the Japanese film Yojimbo which was ironically based on the 1929 novel "Red Harvest" by Dashiell Hammett the film noir hard boiled detective writer came full circle by making Last Man Standing a film noir western.

One of my favorite scenes is Bruce Willis with Ken Jenkins as the Ranger Captain.

Capt. Tom Pickett: "Things in this town are out of control. Two gangs is just one too many. I'm not an idealist. I know a lot of things that people do are awful low, but that's between them and God. Do you believe in God? I believe in God, son. But what I'm concerned with is keeping a lid on things, and what we got here in Jericho is just way out of hand, and Sheriff Galt, here, can't do much about it, right? Matter of fact, it might be fair to say that he's part of the problem, right? Now you been going back and forth, playing both sides according to Mr. Galt, here, making yourself a lot of money out of all this. Well, it's over, son. I'm coming back here in ten days, and I'm gonna bring about twenty rangers with me. I will tolerate - one gang, because that is the nature of things. A certain amount of corruption is inevitable. But if I find - two gangs here when I get back, then in a couple of hours there will be - no gangs here. So it's simple. One gang quits and goes home. You boys work it out. I don't give a damn which one."

John Smith: "Just so long as one side leaves, or maybe one side loses."

Capt. Tom Pickett: "That's fine, too, son. Kill as many as you want. Just don't kill no innocent people around here. I wouldn't like that."

I liked this movie, but couldn’t get over the scene where Willis’ slides were locked back, but yet his magical 1911’s kept firing for him. :lol:

Other than that little thing I liked the movie. 
It made me want 2 matching 1911’s at the time. I now have 2 matching Glock 34’s. Even better, in my opinion. More rounds for more fun.  ;)

Edit: Pat Riot did not mention his Glocks to incite an argument over which gun is better or to insult people that love the 1911. This post was not meant as a statement to enhance blood pressure or start an argument. If you wish to argue, do it somewhere else. Thank you. 

I guess I'm going to have to watch it again. The main thing that stuck in my mind was the scene where he was sitting on the bed loading 1911 magazines. And he had this big long row of them already loaded sitting in his suitcase. Then he goes to war, and just wondering where he has all those magazines. I do remember he made a reload one time. Took one magazine out of each suit coat pocket.

Maybe he has hammerspace, and stored all the extra magazines there.

40 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I really want some of those flush-fitting 30-round 1911 magazines he used.

Me too! 

I also wants guns that fire out of battery...

Last Man Standing - Depression Era Drama - Gothic Americana Lifestyle

Last Man Standing - Crazy Hotel Shootout Scene (1080p) - YouTube

While I appreciate what CGI effects bring to movies and TV, the fact is it's way overused these days. I gave up watching the Walking Dead after several scenes where a character shot a revolver at zombies, yet they weren't actually pulling the trigger and the cylinder wasn't turning. Apparently it's cheaper and easier to just add in CGI gun flashes and noise in post-production than it is to use blanks. Yes I know most movie-goers would never notice, but I do find it extremely irritating.

3 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

While I appreciate what CGI effects bring to movies and TV, the fact is it's way overused these days. I gave up watching the Walking Dead after several scenes where a character shot a revolver at zombies, yet they weren't actually pulling the trigger and the cylinder wasn't turning. Apparently it's cheaper and easier to just add in CGI gun flashes and noise in post-production than it is to use blanks. Yes I know most movie-goers would never notice, but I do find it extremely irritating.

In the very first episode of The Walking Dead, Rick told his fellow officers to remember to "take the safety off" before the bad guys got there.....they were using Glocks.

10 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

In the very first episode of The Walking Dead, Rick told his fellow officers to remember to "take the safety off" before the bad guys got there.....they were using Glocks.

Yup, and the actor flicked off the imaginary thumb safety as well! :rolleyes:

In the early seasons, the kid was not allowed to use a real gun while filming.  So anytime he was shooting, all of the effects were added.  As I recall, I heard an interview when he was "coming of age" (and I dont recall if that was 16 or 18, but whenever kid actors get old enough to use "real" guns while filming) and he was quite excited about not having to use the rubber guns anymore.

In the days before the SASS rules for Wild Bunch came along, many clubs allowed you to use any two pistols you wanted revolvers or automatics, loaded with 5 rounds each.   (Occasionally there would be a 15 round string that require one of the pistols to be reloaded, but let that go.)   Well, there was nothing more funner than going up to the like with a 1913 vintage 1911 on my right hip and a brand new Colt on the left that was made the same as the WW1 ones were made using WW1 era reproduction flap holsters.  (Being a southpaw, I searched high low to find an Ambi safety that looked just like the factory one to install on the new one.)  But, when I asked if I could go cocked locked and shoot 'em gunfighter style they said no.    A couple of pards seemed to consider it, but wisdom prevailed.   I wasn't all that serious when I asked anyway.

The point is that 1911 on each hip, even if you gotta shoot 'em one at a time is wicked cool.

2 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I got over the gun inconsistencies because the show is so good.

9 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

What the hell?...

I just edited my post and the system Quoted my edited post...weird. 

Yeah it's confusing.It  happened to me twice this morning.

I remember this movie and liked it.  I prefer Miller’s Crossing and the music by Burwell.

2 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Well, if Costner can have all ten rounds or so in his Open Range revolvers, Willis' 1911s can shoot out of battery....

I'll have to watch this one. Hadn't heard of it before.

Have ya ever watched Hell to Watch...er, I mean Hell to Pay?

How many rounds did Lasiter shoot from,his 2 six guns??

Was it 12? 14?

I completely missed this movie coming out. From the year, I was ramping up my consulting practice and must have been a bit too busy to notice.

Still too busy overall, but will put this in my queue for a Sunday afternoon fun flick with my lady.

Preview looks fun.

20 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

This +1!

22 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Got to wonder about the the complete lack of gun use in the show now. It's evident that it's set after 2020 because there must be no powder, primers or bullets left for reloading. 

The new season of TWD returns 2/28/21

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Got to wonder about the the complete lack of gun use in the show now. It's evident that it's set after 2020 because there must be no powder, primers or bullets left for reloading. 

The new season of TWD returns 2/28/21

The last season featuring the Saviors had the mullet-haired dude making new ammo in a run-down old factory. It was pretty clear that the producers had no idea how ammo was actually made judging by the machinery present, let alone the fact that one guy can't do it alone unless he already has a bunch of reloading components like bullets, primers, and powder on hand. But they made it sound like he was making everything completely from scratch.

Of course allegedly the last of the ammo was used up during the Saviors war, thus the notion that everybody is now down to using Medieval-type weapons.

Archived