SASS Wire Forum

Uberti Vs Pietta, not what you think

El CupAJoe

I see that the Uberti 1873 C&B is listed in exceptions "not allowed" for frontiersman, I see no prohibition for the Pietta 1873 cap and ball, is there a reason the Uberti is not allowed but the Pietta isn't mentioned?  

image.png.cf1470b087a3b935334b84e21a6f284d.png

Because when they made that rule the Uberti was the only one.  This is the first time I've heard of the Pietta version.  I'm guessing next time the handbook is updated then Pietta will be added to the Exception list, or the name Uberti will just be deleted.

I'm guessing both are eligible for age based categories, or are they not allowed there either?

9 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

I'm guessing both are eligible for age based categories, or are they not allowed there either?

Some of our European SASS pards, in places where they cannot use cartridge guns, or haven't met the requirements, use them in other categories.  Just not Frontiersman.  

Hey Joe:

I got one to mess around with.

Interesting design idea

If yer looking for one, I'll sell you mine.

--Dawg

4 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Hey Joe:

I got one to mess around with.

Interesting design idea

If yer looking for one, I'll sell you mine.

--Dawg

I'll keep that in mind, maybe if I get an itch to go gunfighter.  I believe these would be bodacious in FCGF.  

2 minutes ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

Only illegal in Frontiersman IIRC

Also not legal for PLAINSMAN:

This event requires two .36 caliber or larger Frontiersman Category style percussion revolvers, shot Duelist style.

SHB p.29

16 minutes ago, Tucker McNeely said:

Leave Frontiersmen ALONE! 

so pietta good, uberti bad?  :D

5 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

so pietta good, uberti bad?  :D

NO.

An 1873 "SAA-style" percussion revolver is NOT LEGAL for Frontiersman/Plainsman regardless of manufacturer.

As previously noted, many of us were unaware that Pietta also manufactured one.

The next version of the SHB (2022) will be updated to include that model. 

Don’t have an Uberti or Pietta dog in the fight.  I run ROAs.  However, the Frontiersman rules have been set by the fine cowboys that wanted that category.  I play by their rules.  I will not support changing frontiersman ‘cause a shooter wants to use their new c&b pistol.  Percussion pistols are allowed in any category.  Frontiersman category is specific n the percussion pistols allowed.  If ROAs had not been allowed at the time I decided to shoot Frontiersman, then I would have chose a different pistol.

16 hours ago, Tucker McNeely said:

Don’t have an Uberti or Pietta dog in the fight.  I run ROAs.  However, the Frontiersman rules have been set by the fine cowboys that wanted that category.  I play by their rules.  I will not support changing frontiersman ‘cause a shooter wants to use their new c&b pistol.  Percussion pistols are allowed in any category.  Frontiersman category is specific n the percussion pistols allowed.  If ROAs had not been allowed at the time I decided to shoot Frontiersman, then I would have chose a different pistol.

That attitude should be applied to the rest of the categories as well. JMO.

kR

On 1/20/2021 at 4:13 PM, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

NO.

An 1873 "SAA-style" percussion revolver is NOT LEGAL for Frontiersman/Plainsman regardless of manufacturer.

As previously noted, many of us were unaware that Pietta also manufactured one.

The next version of the SHB (2022) will be updated to include that model. 

Just FYI, Asm made them too...

Archived