SASS Wire Forum

Some of my most indelible memories.....

Raylan

Are from when I was 6 to 8 years old playing outside in the summer when the days stretched on towards evening. It was then, though I didn't know the name, I became aware of the golden hour as the sun started to reach the horizon and the light seemed magic, with brightness and shadow making everything seem more rich and deeply real. And then suddenly there would be twilght before the dark crashed down. It was a magic time, a time of wonders, of glimpsing a world suddenly there with new possibilities. It made one shiver with delight and anticipation, then a feeling of soft sadness with the dark. 

goldenhour.jpg

Sitting on the floor in front of the wood stove at age of 3 or so.  Mom standing on my right and Dad reading a letter standing on my left.  I didn't know what he said but it caused an immediate emotional reaction and changed our lives completely.  It was his draft notice for the Army in WWII.

Well for background you'd had to lived it or read Elmer Keltons " The Time It Never Rained" which chronicled the extensive, devastating drought throughout Texas and surrounding states.  The "Day" was, I think in summer of 54-55 when the dry finally broke.  With rain pouring off the roof and booming thunder the whole family was out in it laughing and dancing around.  I don't believe I ever saw my folks so happy and that made me, a little 7-8 yr old happy too.

When I was very young (more than 3 weeks ago) I was "jabbed" in the upper forehead with a sharpened indelible pencil. It effectively "tattooed" me. It is just below my hairline and every time I stand in front of a mirror and comb my hair I see my "indelible memory".

:mellow:

1 hour ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

When I was very young (more than 3 weeks ago) I was "jabbed" in the upper forehead with a sharpened indelible pencil. It effectively "tattooed" me. It is just below my hairline and every time I stand in front of a mirror and comb my hair I see my "indelible memory".

I have a pencil point imbedded in my right hand, a gift from a clumsy BMC, age 8. 

1 hour ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Mines in my hip. Sat down with a pencil in my pocket. Gave one to a football player in high school. You can't see it cause it's kinda deep. He never pushed me again. Became friends later in life.

Raylan,

I have so many fond memories of youth and teenage years I can't list them all. 

But I gotta say your description of sunset mirrored MANY of my younger years here in E.Tennessee.

Here's wishing you many more happy and peaceful sunsets.

..........Widder

8 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

I have a pencil point imbedded in my right hand, a gift from a clumsy BMC, age 8. 

Ha!   I have a #2 pencil lead in my upper chest, right on top of my scapula.  The product of running down the stairs with a sharpened pencil in my hand at around age 4, and falling.  

LL

I remember standing on a hill full of wheat grass looking up at a tree atop the hill on a sunny day in June in SW Pennsylvania. I was 8 years old. The breeze blew the grass and the leaves on the tree flickered. I must have stood there just marveling for 5 or 10 minutes. I could hear my brother and my friends calling for me but I didn’t want to share that moment. It was mine. 

Another time that same summer I snuck down to the creek. It was sunny and hot until I stepped under the canopy of trees that covered the creek and all was cool and serene. It was as quiet except for some birds chirping and going about their bird business. The water was dark green. The creek was about 70 feet wide there. It would have been a “River” in the West.  The banks were dark brown. The leaves were so green and thick the hot sun couldn’t pierce through. It was almost magical. 

Fondest childhood/teenage memory? Going into the forest next to my house with my brand-new Ruger 10/22 at Christmas that I'd lusted over all year long and laying waste to every target I set up.

Worst memory? Trying to race my friend on foot to the theater ticket booth one night, tripping on the sidewalk and doing a belly flop that ruptured my spleen and cracked several ribs. I nearly died on the operating table.

21 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Kid behind me kept flicking my ear so I turned around to smack him but got his #2 pencil stuck in my palm. Still there. :lol:

When I was a child my grandparents had a cottage on Bigalow Creek in Michigan. A crystal clear trout stream that meandered through conifer and hardwood forest. It eventually emptied into the mighty Muskegon River. Salmon and steelhead made their runs every fall. One day I found an old growth tree stump from the days of the great lumber boom. That ancient remnant was better than five feet across. It was covered with moss that had to be four inches thick. As I had been fishing all morning and into the afternoon, I needed a break. That stump with its soft bed of moss was the perfect place to lay down. As I lie there looking up through the early fall colors I listened to a soft breeze in the leaves, the stream gurgling over the rocks and salmon spawning in the shallows. Even at my young age I knew that life could get no better and I had a true appreciation for where I was and the hand that created it.

This is but one of many wonderful memories from my childhood. I've had a good life. 

Thank you Lord for every minute of it.

I was about 2 1/2

It was dark, night time, my Mother and Father taking turns carrying me outside.

People were shouting and crying.

People grabbed my Father and were carrying him away, while my Mother cried, scaring me into crying.

My Mother and Father later told me it was August 15, 1945; my Father was in his RCAF uniform and people were carrying him on their shoulders.

17 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Seems like a lot of us have taken lead, and Doc Adams has decided to leave it in.

LL

In 1960 a #2 pencil jabbed at my face. I held up a book to shield my eyes. Right at the root of my nail.
“Doc Adams” (my father) dug out the chunk of graphite but the dust remains.

That is my left hand ring finger. 
I’ve got another chunk in my right palm that has pretty well disappeared.

I believe my body has absorbed it. Does that mean I’m a pencil at heart?image.thumb.jpg.248fcb15f1af409089a1ae4b380c7a06.jpg

CJ

19 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

I also have the pencil point but in my left hand.  It was donated in the third grade by one Miss Barbara Heinen.  I had displeased her in some fashion.

32 minutes ago, Noz said:

I also have the pencil point but in my left hand.  It was donated in the third grade by one Miss Barbara Heinen.  I had displeased her in some fashion.

Honey catches more flies than vinegar, Noz. 

Archived