SASS Wire Forum

1858 birdshead grips

El CupAJoe

thinking about shortening my barrel on my 1858 and recontouring the barrel to a birds head style, I assume this is legal on Remingtons like it is on colts?  Please advise. 

Also, does it improve the poinatablity at all?  with my natural grip angle, it seems like the muzzle of the Remington is currently hanging about an inch below horizontal.  Thanks in advance for your advice.

Mike Beliveau did an article years ago called "The Ultimate Remington".

I can forward you a copy if you send me your e-0mail address.

It does not have a BH grip, but talks about how he shortened the barrel.

He also has youtube videos on hid "Remington Bulldog" project.

It is Part 5, but I'm, sure you can find the other parts.

It has a 2 or 3" barrel & the grip was reconfigured to a BH.

These videos might help you with your project.

All the snubbies I've shot point very well, & are easy to hit targets at CAS distances.

--Dawg

By the way, once you go to all the trouble of making it, you should buy a conversion cylinder for it -- a gun that special deserves both types of cylinders, for ultimate versatility.

I made a pair of ROA snubbies, & have both cylinders, so I can sign up for annual shoots as a FC GunFighter months in advance.  If it is good weather, I shoot the percussion cylinders.  If it's raining, I shoot BP cartridges in the conversion cylinders.  FCGF one way or the other. 

--Dawg 

do the bird's head modification make the Remy's easier to point though?

In my experience, all snubbies point easier, because the muzzle is so close to your hand.
The birdshead gripframe may fit your hands better than the standard frame, or it may not -- depends on your hand size.

So, I'm not sure the birdhead grip improves "pointability".
But, I'm sure barrel length does.

Compare a 7-1/2 inch SAA with a 4-3/4 inch SAA, and you'll get a feel for how barrel length affects it.

Just my 2 cents

--Dawg 

17 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

By the way, once you go to all the trouble of making it, you should buy a conversion cylinder for it -- a gun that special deserves both types of cylinders, for ultimate versatility.

I made a pair of ROA snubbies, & have both cylinders, so I can sign up for annual shoots as a FC GunFighter months in advance.  If it is good weather, I shoot the percussion cylinders.  If it's raining, I shoot BP cartridges in the conversion cylinders.  FCGF one way or the other. 

--Dawg 

does anyone make conversion cylinders for ASM Remies?

23 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

does anyone make conversion cylinders for ASM Remies?

Not specifically that i know of but given proper measurements one of them for pietta or uberti should work with little to no fitting. I believe theres at least 1 place that can do it for you. Thuer conversion maybe. But for that price you may as well buy a cimarron nma already converted at the factory.

1 minute ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

Not specifically that i know of but given proper measurements one of them for pietta or uberti should work with little to no fitting. I believe theres at least 1 place that can do it for you. Thuer conversion maybe. But for that price you may as well buy a cimarron nma already converted at the factory.

I'm probably not going to ever get a conversion cylinder for a C&B, unless it's for 38 special. I don't plan on having guns in 45 colt unless I decide to go Classic Cowboy some day.  And I'm not planning on getting any 36 cal guns unless I can find an Uberti 62 for a good deal

Personally I dont like the feel of Birdshead Grips..... They are good for concealment but not for shooting fast, they tend to roll up in my hands.

On mine I shortened the Barrels to 4 3/4", lowered the Hammers and thinned the profile of the Grips a Bunch!

They work real well for Me...... It's all personal preference.

IMG_1394.jpg

6 minutes ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

Personally I dont like the feel of Birdshead Grips..... They are good for concealment but not for shooting fast, they tend to roll up in my hands.

On mine I shortened the Barrels to 4 3/4", lowered the Hammers and thinned the profile of the Grips a Bunch!

IMG_1394.jpg

do these point better for you?  Also, do you have an unmodified grip you could take an overlapping pic so I can see how much material was removed?  Lastly, did you use a set screw to hold the cylinder pin in place?

1 hour ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

IMG_1394.jpg

Those are beauties!!

17 hours ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

IMG_1394.jpg

Sam -- Those are gorgeous guns!!!

Archived