SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger single or double trigger?

Currahee

I have always had a single. I like it much better.

With that said...Gateway Kid had a single that kept 'doubling' on him...(you know he had it in tight) but he is so darn fast, that the single did not do him any good.

I got his and have used it for 10 years now with no issue!!!

The thing about using a single trigger is, if you share a cart with your spouse, and grab their double...your stage won't go well;)

Longhunter’s will only sell double trigger Stoegers that may tell you something.  The quality of single vs. double may have something to do with the age of the gun.

At least with 2 triggers you can shoot both barrels at once on those pesky KDs. :ph34r::oB)

1 minute ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Longhunter’s will only sell double trigger Stoegers that may tell you something.  The quality of single vs. double may have something to do with the age of the gun.

At least with 2 triggers you can shoot both barrels at once on those pesky KDs. :ph34r::oB)

You can do that with a single trigger too, if you hold it away from your shoulder a tad...

5 hours ago, Trailboss (Santa) Dave said:

I shoot a single trigger Fox and have for many years, love this gun

The Savage (?) Fox was my first non hammerd shotty. I loved it!

A part wore out (looks like a duck from,a shooting gallery)

Any way, two smittys have tried to get it working again...to no avail.

But it will be a purdy fixture to my cabin wall!!!:P

Cypress Sam posted a remedy for "doubling" with (Stoeger) single trigger models a while back. 

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/289863-fix-for-single-trigger-stoeger-doubling-problem/

Everybody is different and will gravitate to what works for them ... but I just have to say ...

A few years ago I picked up a single trigger Stoeger in a trade ... already slicked up nice ... 12 1/2 LOP etc ... 

Before getting the single I had always used a double trigger Stoeger ... and always shot it with a finger on each trigger ... I felt that was the best for me.  

I am only mentioning this because the single made a difference for me. It was faster and I had no idea why. I put a timer on it to see if I could figure out what was going on. The difference turned out to be my reload time (between shot 2 and 3). 

The best I could determine was that with the single ... my hand was much higher/forward on the gun. I had a lot more "thumb" on the release lever. 

I didn't "slick" this single trigger so I don't know if any work was done to address doubling but it has not misbehaved for me at all. 

Because of trades/etc (lack of flea market match sale exposure / COVID)  .. I currently have a Stoeger w/ an 18 inch barrel and regular double triggers ... one 20 inch w/ reversed triggers and the 20 inch single trigger. All are 12ga and have sub 13 inch LOPs ... While the reversed trigger is close ... the single is measurably faster for me.  

If we ever start (really) shooting again (COVID/primers) ... I could see buying a higher end single trigger ... but ... I don't think I will ever go back to a double trigger again.  YMMV :lol:

I agree with Nate... I've had great success with the high end single trigger shotguns and nothing but trouble with all of the low end single trigger shotguns. I used the double trigger Stoeger shotguns for many years. Although I do not think they are the greatest I believe they generally work better than the Single trigger Stoeger.  Many folks will pay well over a $1000 for their Handguns, well over a $1000 for their Rifles, but skimp on the Shotgun.... IMO, it is the Shotgun that wins or looses the match. 

Snakebite

The Stoeger single trigger shotguns have a mechanical swittch-over that resets to the second barrel when you relax your finger after firing the first barrel.  As the gun recoils, if it is not held firmly against the shoulder, the gun moves back faster than the hand (and trigger finger).  By the time the trigger finger “catches up” with the trigger, the trigger has already reset and is pulled a second time.  It all happens so quickly that the two shots seem to overlap or oven sound like one extra loud shot.

Also smaller framed people have more problems with doubling than larger people.  Additionally, if you squeeze the trigger like you were shooting a target rifle, the gun has more of a tendency to double.

To solve the problem, hold the gun firmly back against your shoulder, and pull the trigger firmly.  

Another thing I’ve found that helps but does not solve the problem completely, is to replace the small coil spring in the transfer block (for lack of the proper terminology) with a stronger spring.  Sorry I can’t give a better reference than that.  I found mine in an assortment of miniature springs I got from Brownells many years ago.

Many of the high end single trigger doubles like SKB’s and Brownings have triggers that use an inertia switch over system that retards the reset until recoil is complete.  This reduces he chance of inadvertently pulling the trigger twice.  

Archived