SASS Wire Forum

Looking for cap and ball pistols

diablo slim

On 1/25/2021 at 5:38 PM, F. Greysmoke ,#12093 said:

Pard,

You probably don't know but 5 1/5" barrel colt types come with a much shorter ram arm length which makes seating a ball a bitch, i.e. much less mechanical advantage (leverage).

Ever heard of a cheater bar?

On 1/19/2021 at 1:05 PM, Texas Lizard said:

Blue or SS...36 or 44...Navy or Army grips...1851 or 1860 or Remington or ROA....Lots to choose to from...Just where do you want to go....

Texas Lizard

Truth is I have a 1858 Remington on the way....be nice to have matching pair...but the 1860 colts are so nice looking...

8 minutes ago, diablo slim said:

Truth is I have a 1858 Remington on the way....be nice to have matching pair...but the 1860 colts are so nice looking...

If they fit your hands..Go for them....I just find the 1860 Army grip feels real good in my hands...Welcome to the BP game and enjoy them...Bad habit to get into...Lost count on my cap guns....Easy 30 to 40...Hiding all over the house and storage...

Texas Lizard

14 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

.Hiding all over the house and storage..

You & me both brother!!

How ya doin' TL???

--Dawg

On 1/25/2021 at 3:11 PM, Eyesa Horg said:

I've got 1860's with I think 8" barrels. Coupled with a bad shoulder, those things seem as long as a broomstick to get out of the holster. Maybe I need a ghetto holster that hangs with my pants down by my knees.:D

Eyesa:

I've gone to this style, as it sits much lower and makes those long-barreled guns much easier to draw for those of us with bad shoulders, compared to a holster that sits higher on the hip:

snubbies.jpg

35 minutes ago, diablo slim said:

1860 colts are so nice looking.

DS:

You are so right, & that's true for any barrel length!
I've got 'em in 3" snubbies, 5.5" Sheriffs, 8" standards, & 12" Buntlines -- All are a hoot!

(To be truthful, the Buntlines are '51 barrels, cuz they don't make 12"ers in 1860s!)

--Dawg

Yes slim, a cheater increases the mechanical advantage. The problem is that it concentrates all of the force in one spot which will bend the rammer and I've seen some break. A better idea is to use the rammer from a 8" colt. Of course you will have to put it on and take it off. If you got the money you can buy one of those cylinder loaders which are over $50.

I currently have a set of '58s with short barls (sheriffs length) but the problem is that this pair has become so loaded up that I was thinking of trading them on a new house or motorhome!  I kept spending money on them even after deciding that I do not like the Remington style grip frames ...   Without going upstairs and digging through old gun stuff, I think it is the pair of blue guns (5 1/2" Pietta), 10 or perhaps 12 spare c&b cylinders, a pair of the tiny Pietta .32 revolvers (what happens when you leave the big guns in a dark place to long)and possible an extra cylinder or two for these, 2 .45Colt Howell cartridge conversion cylinders and any other possible extras that I can not use with my remaining Colt style revolvers.  I had actually been holding back on this pile of gun gear to use in a trade towards a couple or so other guns that I have been interested in.

I am also considering marketing a pair of  Ubert Avenging Angels that look very similar to the ones Dawg has pictured above and these actually came from the one and only Prairie Dawg!These are very much as he pictures above, even with similar holster.  These were received from him with just about every enhancement available on a Uberti and are still eye candy to most any cap and ball addict who sees them!  I even have a pair of deluxe checkered birdshead grip for these.  All grips that would come with these are Navy sized..  Just some thoughts?  

Archived