SASS Wire Forum

GI Jane

The young lady who was loading my order at Rural King yesterday told me that she has enlisted in the Army.

She will be Airborne Infantry.  The bad guys better watch out.

Duffield

41 minutes ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

The young lady who was loading my order at Rural King yesterday told me that she has enlisted in the Army.

She will be Airborne Infantry.  The bad guys better watch out.

Duffield

I’m hoping she’s on the healthy side, not scrawny for example.

She is pretty healthy. Still has a little baby fat.  The Army will deal with that.  They have their ways....

Duffield

I went through OSUT in 1993 at the Military Police School at Ft. McClellan and OSUT was "coed" with women in all four training platoons.  Based on what I saw I then, I would have much rather had one of the women backing me up than most of the men.  While not as strong they were generally less impulsive and more inclined to use their brains.

1 hour ago, Chantry said:

While not as strong they were generally less impulsive and more inclined to use their brains.

It took Uncle Sam a long time to figure out that women are hard wired in certain ways that actually contribute uniquely to a unit’s ability to complete the mission. 

I had the privilege of working with some of the first women who went out with teams in the Middle East and SW Asia. They were assets and warriors in every way. 

2 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

It took Uncle Sam a long time to figure out that women are hard wired in certain ways that actually contribute uniquely to a unit’s ability to complete the mission. 

I had the privilege of working with some of the first women who went out with teams in the Middle East and SW Asia. They were assets and warriors in every way. 

They are all that you said. But men are hard wired in peculiar ways also. And at the age where we are still young, dumb and gullible enough to want to go fight for no other reason than we can, watching a female comrade bleed and scream tends to elicit a different reaction than watching another male in the same situation. 

Of course old school in me believes the commando female is very low percentage as compared to the male. Never had females in combat during my tour. Never wanted them. On the P.D. in the inner-city dwellings never had a female with me. Never wanted one. There were a few female officers on the PD back then, they got taken off the streets real quick. They are really good for the investigation side, no good on the streets. Seeing most of what I have seen even at age 70 believe I sure could whip their a** real quick in hand-to-hand combat.

When I first went on the streets there was a female, black, who was in my section. When I made my first domestic call with her the sgt. came along as back up. She never showed. Reason was because she couldn't find a place to park. Sgt. called her to the office and fired her on the spot.

And Pershing wouldn’t let Black soldiers serve in combat because he Knew they wouldn’t be any good.

He gave them to the French where they served with distinction. 
Just sayin.

I have an acquaintance whose daughter joined the Army to become a combat medic.  She's as big a nickel's worth of peanuts and weighs about as much half full lunch pail.

I don't think I want to count on someone like that to drag me out of the line of fire, patch me up, and cart me back to safety..... nor to haul me down a fire ladder, or dig me out of a collapsed structure or wrecked vehicle, or...................well, you get my drift.

Not sexual prejudice, just a well-developed sense of self preservation. 

Once I get to the place I need to be and am safe I have no objection to women surgeons, nurses, dentists, records keepers, pharmacists (all of which I now have through the VA and my civilian dentist) at all.  I love all of my ladies, I just don't' see them in combat roles or some first responder venues.

I taught PLDC and BNCOC for 10 years to co-ed classes.  Some of the women I would count on in any situation - they would find a way to get the job done.  

Some I would not count on.  The same applied to the men.

Duffield

49 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I never felt a reason to see that movie a second time.

Just read the Wikipedia synopsis of the plot and I'm glad I never felt a reason to see the movie in the first place

Utah Bob, I believe you may be wrong about the black troops. He was an officer with the black unit that fought along side of Teddy and the Roughriders. Teddy had high praise for them.  That is, I was told, where he got His nickname 

19 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I have an acquaintance whose daughter joined the Army to become a combat medic.  She's as big a nickel's worth of peanuts and weighs about as much half full lunch pail.

I don't think I want to count on someone like that to drag me out of the line of fire, patch me up, and cart me back to safety..... nor to haul me down a fire ladder, or dig me out of a collapsed structure or wrecked vehicle, or...................well, you get my drift.

Not sexual prejudice, just a well-developed sense of self preservation. 

Once I get to the place I need to be and am safe I have no objection to women surgeons, nurses, dentists, records keepers, pharmacists (all of which I now have through the VA and my civilian dentist) at all.  I love all of my ladies, I just don't' see them in combat roles or some first responder venues.

The military now sets the standards of physical fitness required for the job, then requires that everyone meet the standard regardless of sex or age. True, fewer women than men can meet the standard, but those who do are just as capable of dragging you to safety as the men in the squad. 

21 hours ago, Smoken D said:

Of course old school in me believes the commando female is very low percentage as compared to the male.

A correct statement, but for the percentage who can meet the standard, why deny your unit the unique strengths that a woman brings?

21 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

They are all that you said. But men are hard wired in peculiar ways also. And at the age where we are still young, dumb and gullible enough to want to go fight for no other reason than we can, watching a female comrade bleed and scream tends to elicit a different reaction than watching another male in the same situation. 

As someone who’s been through some pretty tough training cycles with women, it didn’t take long to get over my protective hard wiring and to see them as fellow soldiers. 

52 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

The military now sets the standards of physical fitness required for the job, then requires that everyone meet the standard regardless of sex or age. True, fewer women than men can meet the standard, but those who do are just as capable of dragging you to safety as the men in the squad. 

I saw "equal standards" in 'Nam.  At that time we were lowering the standards on everything so almost everyone could pass.  Remember McNamara's Misfits?  They were guys with IQs under 94 who we were supposed to allow "to die for their country, too."  Supposed to have only one in any battalion sized unit:  I had two at the same time when was a company commander.

One was a pretty good soldier if you didn't demand too much of him.  Loyal as a puppy and strong as an ox.

The other was there less tan 90 days when I got him on the next stage out of Dodge.

I also worked with a female Major at our regimental HQ.  She went out one time and she was in a bunker with me when we got hit HARD.  My only complaint was when she fired a .45 with the muzzle too far inside and blew out everyone's ear drums.  She never did that again to my knowledge and she did what was needed.  She was about 5'4" and maybe 130 lbs.  She was hell on wheels in a bunker and a marvelous shooter, but I wouldn't have wanted her beside me if it had gotten into a hand-to-hand situation.

23 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

What cracked me up isn’t women in the military. The real ones are awesome. For me it’s Demi Moore (who’s a little bitty gal) wearing eye makeup while performing as a commando. 

When the Navy first put women on ships at sea, the first few days you saw lots of makeup and hair done just so. By the end of the first week makeup was no where to be seen and very simple hair styles.  

2 hours ago, Irish-Pat said:

Utah Bob, I believe you may be wrong about the black troops. He was an officer with the black unit that fought along side of Teddy and the Roughriders. Teddy had high praise for them.  That is, I was told, where he got His nickname 

I was addressing General Pershing in France. He gave his black units to the French Army. They fought splendidly.

9AF0BF7C-AC75-4A85-8DDF-577885CDFB4A.jpeg

4 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

As someone who’s been through some pretty tough training cycles with women, it didn’t take long to get over my protective hard wiring and to see them as fellow soldiers. 

I served with women as a combat medic, we had a coed training platoon in 91 i think at Sam. And on duty stations when i was hospital assigned. I don't care Who somebody sleeps with, what underwear they have on, what their ancestry is or what color they are. All I have ever cared about was if they can do the job. 

I don't disagree that they are fellow soldiers, but its my understanding that even the Israelis no longer integrate their ground combat units.  

I know several women who are ' very good with their hands' as the saying goes. And i love my wife but at 5' 4 " and petite againt my 6' 1" 215 pounds ,I want a Samoan in my fighting position position. 

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Plenty of female soldiers in China and Russia. Maybe they know something we don't?

Trust me, if you're on the front lines and you see a bunch of angry Asian women with PMS coming over the hill you'd better RUN... :o

they are not front line combat troops. Just like the ones you see in IDF uniforms. Reservists and support troops. The uUS is one of the few countries to have mixed m/f units. 

29 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

they are not front line combat troops. Just like the ones you see in IDF uniforms. Reservists and support troops. The uUS is one of the few countries to have mixed m/f units. 

Well that's a relief, I feel safer now. A bayonet charge from a bunch of women like my ex would strike fear in even the hardiest Marines. :wacko:

If you Kipple under the knives of women has a particular meaning, as does the fact that most soldiers are not plaster saints B)

Archived