SASS Wire Forum

Booming Gun Prices

bgavin

I have been given the go-ahead to shoot 22LR at a local match.
Apparently I am not the only one who is quite concerned about spending down my center fire stock when I cannot replenish it.
So, I dragged out my pair of Single Six Bisley to use at matches in lieu of my Vaqueros.

Just for grins and giggles, I took a walk over to Gun Broker to see what prices are asked for my 2019 model Single Six Bisleys...
Over $800 each.. I'm glad I got them for half of that before they went out of production.

I understand the market forces of supply and demand, and the scarcity of items no longer in production.
I remain astounded at how MUCH higher the prices are, than when I bought them over the last 18 months.

I called Mallory at Ted Blocker today, to order a set of holsters for the Single Six to fit on my existing Drifter rig.
Even those prices are up since I bought the rig.

6 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Apparently I am not the only one who is quite concerned about spending down my center fire stock when I cannot replenish it.
So, I dragged out my pair of Single Six Bisley to use at matches in lieu of my Vaqueros.

Just for grins and giggles, I took a walk over to Gun Broker to see what prices are asked for my 2019 model Single Six Bisleys...
Over $800 each.. I'm glad I got them for half of that before they went out of production.

I understand the market forces of supply and demand, and the scarcity of items no longer in production.
I remain astounded at how MUCH higher the prices are, than when I bought them over the last 18 months.

I called Mallory at Ted Blocker today, to order a set of holsters for the Single Six to fit on my existing Drifter rig.
Even those prices are up since I bought the rig.

Blocker just was sold to a new owner.  I got a holster for my 1911 and within a week I saw the prices go up.

42 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Blocker just was sold to a new owner.  I got a holster for my 1911 and within a week I saw the prices go up.

Ted Blocker was sold many years ago. Was it just sold again?

OLG 

All I can say is... if you've got any old shootin' irons in the safe that you've been thinking about getting rid of, now's the time. Nobody can say "these just aren't in demand anymore" to you unless you're trying to get rid of something that looks like a rusty sewer pipe.

The nice young lady I spoke with is one of 9 children.
Her parents are running the business now.
Her siblings are not all there, many are scattered around the country.

I am hopeful the product quality remains high.

8 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Yep.  I got my holster about three months ago and it had just been sold.

I still use some holsters made by the original Ted from the early Leather Slap days.

Used them for IPSC shoots at Lk. Piru, Ca.

OLG 

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I still use some holsters made by the original Ted from the early Leather Slap days.

Used them for IPSC shoots at Lk. Piru, Ca.

OLG 

I have some earlier holsters by Ted when he was still in San Dimas.  Can't seem to wear them out.

21 hours ago, bgavin said:

So, what are you using for rifle and shotgun? I see shotgun ammo is now through the roof as well.

25 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

So, what are you using for rifle and shotgun? I see shotgun ammo is now through the roof as well.

Yup, as late as last autumn you could still find shotgun shells and .22LR ammo, even if all the centerfire ammo was gone. Last time I visited Cabelas I noticed the rimfire is now all gone and shotgun shells are nearly cleaned out as well. In another few months we'll all be down to using slingshots.

Saturday I picked up the on sale for $260 Henry AR-7 from Sportsmans Warehouse that I bought online.  The clerk who processed the transfer asked if I needed ammo?  I said I have plenty of 22LR but do you have any 45ACP?  He asked how much?  I said 2 boxes of FMG.  He put two boxes of Sig on the counter which was a very reasonable $22.99 each.  Since it is on my way home I stopped at Scheels in Sparks.  Scheels  had a 4 1/2' high by display rack long stack of case lots of shotgun ammo.

P.S. I suspect Sportsmans Warehouse kept most of the ammo behind the counter to sell to customers who buy a firearm.  The only ammo on the self were a few boxes of magnum rifle cartridges.

I have a Henry Frontier in 22LR, and my regular Miroku 500 12-gauge.
My trap shooting buddy had to move to NV and live with his daughter, so I'm not burning through my cases of Gun Club shotshells anymore.
I have 3 cases of AA featherlites as well.

Archived