SASS Wire Forum

How long will blood last?

Alpo

Let's say that for whatever reason I do not want anybody else's blood put into my body. So just in case of an accident, every month or so I go down and give a pint of blood and they put it in storage. And then if I'm in a car wreck and I need blood, hey, there's a couple of gallons in the refrigerator with my name on it.

Would that work? Can you store blood like that? How long can it be stored before it's no longer any good?

Just go to google

Red cells are stored in refrigerators at 6ºC for up to 42 days. Platelets are stored at room temperature in agitators for up to five days. Plasma and cryo are frozen and stored in freezers for up to one year.

I have a friend with a unique factor in her blood such that the blood she donates must Be reserved for her or six other people on the planet, all with Dutch heritage. Her blood is saved for her and she is asked before her blood is sent anywhere.

one time a pair of twins with that blood type were about to be born With her blood characteristics and she was asked if her blood could be sent just in case.

she wears a medic alert bracelet. Receiving any other blood would be life threatening.

2 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

And it helps to be close to your blood storage place when you get the bleed....

With my luck I'd have two or three gallons on tap....six states away when I needed it.

I'm not overly concerned.  I'm type AB+, an almost universal acceptor....except from Badger Mountain Charley and that stingy old fart wouldn't give me any of his blood under any circumstances.

39 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

With my luck I'd have two or three gallons on tap....six states away when I needed it.

I'm not overly concerned.  I'm type AB+, an almost universal acceptor....except from Badger Mountain Charley and that stingy old fart wouldn't give me any of his blood under any circumstances.

Hey, It is my blood. Besides it also provides  my drinking money. 

Get your own  or we can cauterize that cut  for you.  

4 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

your own?

Oh yes. Caught a .45 bounce back square on the thigh. Bled like a stuck hog. 

I would think if you was in need of blood you really wouldn't care who's it was. Better idea, give blood at the blood bank. May help save someone and I know here if you give and you or a dependent is in ever in need you won't be charged.

6 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Hey, It is my blood. Besides it also provides  my drinking money. 

Get your own  or we can cauterize that cut  for you.  

I'll bet you still think people are avoiding you because of the COVID virus.  May they just don't like your stingy ways.  :P  :D

I've heard of people banking their own blood for surgeries. Didn't know exactly but I know it has a pretty short shelf life. That reminds me, I need to donate again. Was going to a couple weeks ago but there was a chance I was exposed to Covid. Got tested just in case, thankfully was negative, in the meantime they cancelled my appointment until I knew for sure.

JHC

13 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I'll bet you still think people are avoiding you because of the COVID virus.  May they just don't like your stingy ways.  :P  :D

Those are assets, Sir!

On 1/18/2021 at 9:58 AM, Alpo said:

Let's say that for whatever reason I do not want anybody else's blood put into my body. So just in case of an accident, every month or so I go down and give a pint of blood and they put it in storage. And then if I'm in a car wreck and I need blood, hey, there's a couple of gallons in the refrigerator with my name on it.

Would that work? Can you store blood like that? How long can it be stored before it's no longer any good?

Trust me. At today's elevated prices you can't save enough up to buy a new gun. Don't even try......

Money had nothing to do with the question.

Maybe my religion says I can't have other people's blood.

Or I'm the King of Antarctica, and I don't want to risk getting some peasant's blood mixed with mine.

As I said, for whatever reason.

Archived