SASS Wire Forum

Would an ethnic joke still be racist

Alpo

2 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Here's an Alpo-esque question: if a minority tells a joke disparaging his own race to you, and  you're a white guy and you laugh at it, is that considered racist?

Answer:  you're a white guy and you laugh at it

Nowadays a white person telling a joke about a green bean would be deemed racist. One of my favorite alternative Christmas songs is Merry Christmas From The Family by Robert Earle Keene. In the song he mentions a Mexican and a couple of times when I had it on for family events this last holiday season I was called a racist for liking and playing that song, go figure. 

At matches that I attend I tell a joke before the last stage instructions are read and before each joke or story I issue a warning that if you’re easily offended to please plug your ears to avoid being offended again. I did it on Saturday on the sixth stage at the Prison Break in Yuma and again yesterday on the 12th stage. They weren’t racial jokes but I issued the warning because there is no telling what will offend some people these days including fellow shooters.

ive never been one to remember jokes told to me leastwise not sos i could retell it in any humorous way , take my word for it - it was funnier when i heard it , but what im most offended by is the intolerance of people that cant allow free speech - we do have the righ6t not to listen , not to laugh and not to associate with the teller if we dont like what we heard , used to be you could decide that for yourself based on your own morals and codes , but now there are a few [seems a bunch lately] that want to tell you what you can hear or say in our land of free speech , 

also seems the press wants to take personal ownership of the first amendment as only for them - they have become propagandists for those that censor the public - where does that leave the common citizen ????

In Texas, what started as Polish jokes were converted to Aggie (Texas A&M) jokes, told mostly by Aggies.

14 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

My dad was a journeyman millwright and made sure that my engineering degree never went to my head when “listening to the men on the shop floor who really understand what’s happening”.  That advice has served me well. 

A young engineer called me out to a large injection molding machine for Corvette fascias. On the way over I peeked inside a control panel and saw a genius block had a comm fault set. When I saw him I told him to call an electrician. He laughed and told me to change a hydraulic valve. I laughed and said ok. I pulled the 50 lb valve and went to get another. Mgmt had moved a lot of our parts off-site and I couldn't find one. An hour and a half later he brought me one and I installed it. Machine wouldn't run. I said call an electrician. He laughed again and suggested another valve. So I changed it  with the same time lag for parts and machine still wouldn't run. He said maybe he should call an electrician. I laughed and went to lunch. As the electrician passed by me I told him what was wrong and to let me know when he was done. He did and I went to the machine and told the engineer he did a good job getting it running. He smiled and started to tell me what was wrong and I cut him off and told him what I saw as I approached the machine the first time. His jaw dropped. I laughed and explained that my years of experience on those presses and all their issues meant when I said it was electrical he needed to call one. If it was mechanical he should probably just stay out of my way. But he was the boss and I would change every valve on the machine if he told me to. He didn't learn his lesson that time. Lol

thinking about this thread, I remembered an old joke about Star Trek

The Saudi Ambassador to the UN has just finished giving a speech, and walks out into the lobby where he meets President Bush. They shake hands and as they walk the Saudi says, "You know, I have just one question about what I have seen in America."

President Bush says "Well your Excellency, anything I can do to help, I will do."

The Saudi whispers "My son watches this show 'Star Trek' and in it there are Russians, Blacks, and Asians, but never any Arabs. He is very upset. He doesn't understand why there are never any Arabs in Star Trek."

President Bush laughs and leans toward the Saudi, and whispers back, "It's because it takes place in the future...."

but, it’s not racist because Arabs are.... Caucasian!

do any of us , in this melting pot , really know what our full ethnicity is ? submit your DNA to the national registry - er genealogy site to find out , then tell me if your really offended by anything in this current world of total "offendedness" , who really cares except those that feel confused ? 

not really trying to make light of the brunt of the joke guy but if you cant make fun of yourself in life you are really missing the point , 

Archived