SASS Wire Forum

44 Special loads

Marshal Stone, SASS #53366

Looking at helping one of our shooters with .44 special.

Does anyone have a proven load for .44 special using Clays or Tite Group

for 200 or 225 gr. RNFP

Not interested in any other powder choices.

I've looked at a couple of manuals and have an idea of what to use but

would like info about what is actually working.

Loads for .44 mag with the same bullets might be helpful as well.

Thanks

Marshal Stone

Howdy Marshall,

I have used 3.5gr of Clays (the Hodgdon minimum) with a 200gr bullet in 44 Spcl for pistols.  Worked fine, brass was pretty clean.  I don't know if I ever shot those in cold weather since that can affect Clays.

Now that I go back and look at my older data, I also loaded quite a few 200gr 44 Spcl with 4.5gr of Titegroup.  I finally quit using that powder because it is so snappy.  It loosened the screws on my guns worse than others.  :)

2 hours ago, John Boy said:

200gr .... Titegroup From 5.0 grains to 6.2 grains

PS Marshal ... there  are loading data links in SASS FAQ for both smokeless and black powder

John Boy, where did that data come from?  Hodgdon's site shows minimum 4.5 grains and max of 5.4 grains for Titegroup.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Have you tried Unique or WW231? 

OLG 

Lumpy,

As a matter of fact I started with Unique.  I was looking for a powder I could use for both shotgun and pistol and Clays fit the bill.  Then came WB and I use 231 in my .45 ACPs and now my .38s and .44s.  Still use Clays in the shotshells and as backup for the pistol calibers.  Got 8 pounds of each and hopefully have enough primers to make it through the summer.

14 hours ago, Crusty said:

Lumpy,

As a matter of fact I started with Unique.  I was looking for a powder I could use for both shotgun and pistol and Clays fit the bill.  Then came WB and I use 231 in my .45 ACPs and now my .38s and .44s.  Still use Clays in the shotshells and as backup for the pistol calibers.  Got 8 pounds of each and hopefully have enough primers to make it through the summer.

Unique works very well for SG.

12GA, try 17-17.5gn with 3/4-1oz shot.

Less recoil than Featherlite. 

OLG 

The Hogdon cowboy action load data has a warning about their data. It states that they use pressure test barrels and that carbine velocities will be close to the listed data. It warns that from a 4 5/8 inch barrel you can lose about 175 fps and around 50fps from a 7 1/2 inch. Of course you need to chronograph to be sure.

If you're just relying on their data without noticing their warning you could be looking at a 500 fps load instead of 650 fps that you thought you're achieving.  This was in the info written by Birdshot at the front of the cowboy load data.

On 1/19/2021 at 7:25 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Well, max is 4.5gn ;)

OLG 

Lumpy, when I started this game I was loading .44 Magnum and Max Load was 6.4 grains of Clays.  4.4 hrs. grouped best.  Switched to .44 Spl Open Tops and the 4.4 Load grouped the best out of them too.

Unique will work for about any gun in any Caliber we shoot in this game .

It's not the best at anything. 

But it will work for about  everything. 

12 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Unique will work for about any gun in any Caliber we shoot in this game .

It's not the best at anything. 

But it will work for about  everything. 

Has the most fitting name for a powder.

It's the first powder ever released for reloading.

OLG 

Archived