SASS Wire Forum

moving

Do you have any info or opinions on moving company for a interstate move?  safes?  firearms? motorcycle.

My wife and I will be moving and I am looking for information on what is the best way.

Thanks in advance!

My last 4 moves I did myself with a Penske 26’ truck. The last two moves I hired guys through Penske to load and unload the truck. That is the way to go if you want to save a lot of money. 

A learned experience = My company hired  major moving company to relocate me. They came, I got moved and all was good. Until a bunch of checks starting showing up for purchases I hadn't made in a city where I wasn't. Apparently they went through my boxes and found a check book.

Hang onto your important stuff.

I forget to mention; we packed all our own boxes and stuff. My wife stayed in the house to monitor things and I stated near the truck to monitor things. 

We only did one move where movers did everything and we couldn’t find crap when we got to our new home. We had to open every box to figure out what was where. 

Having moved 15 times, sell and give away everything that you have not used recently. We just moved again last year and we finally got our storage unit emptied that we have been paying rent on for 18 months. As we are going through we we are both asking why in the heck we moved and paid rent to store the stuff. This is after we sent a U-haul van's worth of stuff to a local auction before we moved.

We used Allied but rented a trailer and took the guns and other valuables along with some furniture, which was good because the truck got delayed for 2 days.

Box everything and label what room it is for. Kitchen, Garage, Shop.

Contents if you want. Tools, Blender, Circular Saw, etc..

Writing "Glass" on a box is supposed to be more effective for movers to handle carefully than "Fragile."

Guns, live ammo, primers and powder, and any propane tanks for your grill, you take in your own vehicles.

For kitchen/bathroom cleaners, use a moving box designed to hold double rows of glassware.

Clothes on hangers. Lay two bunches on a fitted sheet facing each other. Bring up the corners and tie the bundle. Untie and you are ready to hang em up. Garment cardboard boxes are easy to overload and not very strong.

Use plastic totes with lids (available at home improvement stores) for really heavy items. Bench grinder, etc.

The more you pack yourself, the cheaper it is.

In the middle of packing right now.

Good luck!

LDD

My wife and I decided to put a dumpster on one side of the drive and a truck on the other with the goal being to fill the dumpster. I'll cry parbly but I'll fill the dumpster.

OP,

I'm hearing far too many stories about commercial movers changing the contracts, demanding more money at the last minute, etc.
Here in CA, any U-Haul out of CA is 10x higher price than the same U-Haul coming into CA.

Movers and ammunition are priced through the roof right now.
Both know they have a true captive market.

Jimmy, if doing anything yourself and not sure of dates....we used PODS and that actually worked fairly well and reasonable.  We thought we were moving 6 hours away...PODS dropped off our containers in scheduled day, we filled them, they picked up and took to warehouse.

Our plans kept changing so we told them to hold, ended up moving 12 miles away lol, called and had them redelivered.  Believe they store them in climate controlled warehouses but can’t verify, I will say not a thing inside them moved or was displaced...extremely impressed with that.  Customer service was medium at best....people that seemed to try to help but system wouldn’t store updates etc caused a few glitches.

you could use them to move cross country but might get pricey and you still had to do labor or hire it.

Archived