SASS Wire Forum

Never Settle

Subdeacon Joe

On 1/17/2021 at 8:41 PM, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

What are those things wrapped around the horse’s hooves?

Nothing, the hooves are just polished to a shine and the shoes have been polished to an even higher shine.  Percheron's have massive hooves. Need them to make use of all that muscle.

Where the picture originated Eaglesfield Percherons

Here is a picture of a different Percheron that shows the hooves better

percheron_2_by_salsolastock_d1ktbdb-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3siaGVpZ2h0IjoiPD0xNjM2IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNTgzZjA4Y2EtMWViNS00MjY4LTlmMzAtMzIwZmY0NmIzZGVkXC9kMWt0YmRiLWVkYjU0NTBiLWI0ODQtNGNiNy05YmE4LTZiYmRmZmRhNzM1ZS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.3e8oSEgiKakharB90xDyXbl3mKKjgAoK5pPjHj2kmFU

2 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I don’t recall ever seeing horse hooves that flair like that. 

With draft horses the flare goes in and out of style. Th flare is due to their massive weight. With frequent and proper trimming it can be eliminated.

1 hour ago, watab kid said:

did they just jet black them like you do car tires at car shows or did they put "false nails" on that horses feet ? 

Most people use liquid shoe polish.

14 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I don’t recall ever seeing horse hooves that flair like that. 

I can't tell if they are flaired out or if they have an oversized platter, uh, shoe on them.  I know if any of our horses had hooves that looked like that we'd be on the phone with the farrier to get them trimmed.  Actually, I'd probably just trim them myself.  Our horses don't get shod.  Putting on  horse shoes would be way above my pay grade.

Angus

Archived