SASS Wire Forum

Probably been addressed before, stainless pins

Dirty Dan Dawkins

I see some five pound packages in sporting goods stores once in a while from Frankfort Arsenal. My tumbler takes 10 pounds of pins. But mine is about twice the size of the Frankfort Arsenal ones

Look up Southern Shine media.  Haven't had to replace my pins yet but will probably go with these guys when I do.

Never a problem with pin sticking in primer pocket but have had multiple problems with pins getting crossways in 38 special case.  I keep thin needle nose pliers handy and check each case before reloading.  Why, because before that I broke several decap pins.  I did get some more pins that must be smaller because now I have fewer issues but still check them.  I do thongdps the hard way.  I first decap everything and then wet tumble.  Check for stuck pins and then put in my press that does still have a decap/resize die.  This is where I may get my decap pin ruined.  I did order new pins but do not remember size and they work better but it only takes one to mess you up.

20 minutes ago, Runamuck, SASS #49216L said:

Whatever pins you end up buying make sure they are magnetic.

Funny. This reminds me of an industrial tumbler a customer uses. The use these Wheelabrator and BCT shot blast machines to clean aluminum wheels that have been shredded through an SSI shredder. The blasters basically tumble and steel shot blast the shredded aluminum. About 2500 lbs at a time. Most shot remains in the machine but a handful escapes. None can be allowed to remain as it will contaminate the alloy at the foundry.  Before going into the bags, the material runs through about a 30’ incline tumbler full of holes to allow any residual steel shot to fall through. Where the tumbler dumps into the bagging hopper, a very large rare earth magnet which no steel shot can escape. Of course all of this is far too elaborate and complicated to apply to bench top reloading, but principles are quite similar.

Thanks for all of the tips!

15 hours ago, Jack Spade said:

Look up Southern Shine media.  Haven't had to replace my pins yet but will probably go with these guys when I do.

they sell SS "chips" rather than pins.  gets into all the nooks and crannies and doesn't get stuck in cases

they do a quicker job of getting brass clean, too

• 2 weeks later...

I bought some Southern Shine media. Ran it dry in my Thumblers Ultra-Vibe 18. Cleans very fast. Corn cob and porcelain not even close. The SS media cleans in about 1/2-1/3 of the time. I may try to throw a little Lyman media with rouge to see if it will shine it up a bit.

https://www.ammobrass.com/product-page/stainless-steel-cleaning-media-chips-for-wet-tumblers     I have been looking at this.

https://tbbullets.com/stainless-steel-tumbling-media/stainless-steel-tumbling-media-purchase/    This place carries it.

Anyone tried and liked or not?  I have Prime so can order and get free shipping at Amazon.

1 hour ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I bought some Southern Shine media. Ran it dry in my Thumblers Ultra-Vibe 18. Cleans very fast. Corn cob and porcelain not even close. The SS media cleans in about 1/2-1/3 of the time. I may try to throw a little Lyman media with rouge to see if it will shine it up a bit.

So am I reading this correctly. You are using SS pins in a vibratory cleaner instead of corn cob media?

Most of the time in the instructions for using the stainless pins you will see DAWN dish soap specifically called out. It does make a difference if shooting black. If using most others it will leave a dark patina on the brass. With dawn it will clean back to new. Only casings I’ve ever had it stick in were 6.5 case necks, as the pins that were in the right range to stick were found I separated them off and no issue since. 

image.jpg

Not knocking steel pins. They do the job but I got tired of getting the steel pins out and pins all over the place.  I use Strat-O-Sheen and brass juice and brass comes out like new. Strat-O-Sheen is sold by Rio Grande. It is used by jewelers. Attached is a batch of 223 cleaned with this combination. No more need of knocking out stuck pins.   The 5 LB box of Strat-O-Sheen goes a long way. I use a 1/2 cup with a 1/4 cup Brass Juice in my tumbler. 

IMG_3010.JPG

IMG_3009.JPG

1 hour ago, Knucky McPolack said:

Not knocking steel pins. They do the job but I got tired of getting the steel pins out and pins all over the place.  I use Strat-O-Sheen and brass juice and brass comes out like new. Strat-O-Sheen is sold by Rio Grande. It is used by jewelers. Attached is a batch of 223 cleaned with this combination. No more need of knocking out stuck pins.   The 5 LB box of Strat-O-Sheen goes a long way. I use a 1/2 cup with a 1/4 cup Brass Juice in my tum

The Strat_O_Sheen box says for vibratory machines. Does that mean it can be added to corn cob? I've always Turtle wax polish.

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

The Strat_O_Sheen box says for vibratory machines. Does that mean it can be added to corn cob? I've always Turtle wax polish.

Here'd is Rio Grandes web site. They say to mix 3 0z to one gallon of water.   Not sure how well it will work with corn cob. 

https://www.riogrande.com/product/strat-o-sheen-powder-burnishing-compounds/33901725gp

Archived