SASS Wire Forum

Marlin Front Sight Needed

Texas ShaDi

If Brownell doesn't have it i look at numrich and track of the wolf. They have hooded marlin sight assemblies

But then my most modern gun was used in ww2

8 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Does your Marlin have a round barrel with a sight that has a ramp base?  Or is it a Cowboy model with an octagon barrel that has a tall sight dovetailed into the barrel? 

May try eBay. 

Yes sir it does.

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

How did that happen?

OLG 

Not really sure what happened. I went out of town for a shooting school and when I got there and took it out of the soft case it was broken.

8 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

It will be a standard 3/8" dovetail so there are many available.   Probably want one .340 wide that's made to fit in a base.  They come in assorted heights.   Here is an example. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1828432350

I was told these newer Marlins made by Remington use a different sight. 

23 minutes ago, Texas ShaDi said:

Not really sure what happened. I went out of town for a shooting school and when I got there and took it out of the soft case it was broken.

Why I like Pelican hard cases.

Be careful removing the sight so you don't tear the ramp off the bbl.

There's another screw under the sight.

OLG 

Sure looks like a MIM (sintered metal) base AND sight insert.    I'd replace at least that broken insert with something more solid, like a short dovetailed bar stock sight from Marbles that should last (until the base breaks).

Dovetail sights are "sized" by the length of the base flat  of the dovetail, and the total height from the flat of the dovetail up to top of sight.   So, if you can pull a pair of calipers or a micrometer out, and find those two dimensions, you can look for just the sight insert and replace it for maybe $15 or so.  Brownells or Midway would be where I'd look once you have made the measurements.

Probably broke because it was in a soft case, and got a good hit during your trip.    A sturdy plastic or aluminum case with good foam will prevent a lot of damage during road trips.

Good luck, GJ

20 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Sure looks like a MIM (sintered metal) base AND sight insert.    I'd replace at least that broken insert with something more solid, like a short dovetailed bar stock sight from Marbles that should last (until the base breaks).

Dovetail sights are "sized" by the length of the base flat  of the dovetail, and the total height from the flat of the dovetail up to top of sight.   So, if you can pull a pair of calipers or a micrometer out, and find those two dimensions, you can look for just the sight insert and replace it for maybe $15 or so.  Brownells or Midway would be where I'd look once you have made the measurements.

Probably broke because it was in a soft case, and got a good hit during your trip.    A sturdy plastic or aluminum case with good foam will prevent a lot of damage during road trips.

Good luck, GJ

Thank you, I will look into a hard case.

16 minutes ago, Texas ShaDi said:

Thank you, I will look into a hard case.

If you have a Tractor Supply near you, mine had Plano hard gun cases on clearance a few days ago.

9 hours ago, Texas ShaDi said:

Here is a picture of the sight after gluing it back on. I think it it taller than most of the sights. 

20210117_202120.jpg

Remove the sight.

Take your calipers and measure from top of sight to the bottom of the dovetail.  That's the height needed.

Looks like that sight is all brass from your other pictures. 

OLG 

12 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Remove the sight.

Take your calipers and measure from top of sight to the bottom of the dovetail.  That's the height needed.

Looks like that sight is all brass from your other pictures. 

OLG 

Not sure what it's made of but not brass and is very brittle

If magnet sticks to the sight, it's steel.   Sure looks like MIM (sintered) steel, and not completely sintered by the factory.

good luck, GJ

Archived