SASS Wire Forum

Texas State at THSS

Hoss

I shot with the good folks at THSS today. They have done a lot of work on the range, fixing weak spots in boardwalks, rebuilding some stages, general sprucing up. Range looked good, weather was perfect. (A little chilly at first, but overall really nice!)

they have replaced all odd shaped targets with new mostly (if not all) AR 500 steel. They would not be considered “big and close” but definitely have moved them in from what they used to be (which I kinda miss!) very hitable. THSS had gained a reputation of small, far targets. They listened to shooters and moved them in and replaced most of the odd shaped targets. I’ll admit I don’t miss those train cars! 

They did keep the bears!   If you haven’t already, get signed up. THSS Trailhead 30 is going to be a great match. 

E21DD7A2-CACC-4BA5-B7B5-342F472A6E04.jpeg

0D716121-ADE0-40C0-B1E2-920690EEDCF2.jpeg

I have not shot down there in years because of the. Well, lets just say, ways.

Had heard they have been changing.

So hope they have.

And we just sent ours in a few days ago.

Have they changed enough??

Will see. If not. It will be the last time I give them another chance.  

But hope for the best. Come on THSS. Do it right.

29 minutes ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

I have not shot down there in years because of the. Well, lets just say, ways.

Had heard they have been changing.

So hope they have.

And we just sent ours in a few days ago.

Have they changed enough??

Will see. If not. It will be the last time I give them another chance.  

But hope for the best. Come on THSS. Do it right.

AA, I’m not a THSS member.  So not “selling the brand”  But I can tell you they have moved more towards SASS norms. Did away with the non-sass rules. (Like if aiming at wrong target and miss, it’s a P and a miss) target distances are very reasonable.  They do still have THSS wild bunch as a category, shot with 1911, early model DA revolver, military rifle, model 97. not my cup of tea, but hey, certainly not hurting me. THSS started my favorite category, Cody Dixon.  They also offer sharpshooter, where shooter shoots main match rifle targets with pistols, and another set of targets (shared with Cody Dixon) at 60-75 yds or so for rifle. A little something for everyone! 

Must be danother event going down that way.  I'm finding either no vacancy or very expensive prices to rooms on match dates.  Anyone else finding that to be the case.  Granted i am not calling, just checking on Internet.

Billy,

We are staying at the Americas Best Value Inn.  They look to have availability still in Columbus.  It around $75 a night.  We have stayed there a couple times and it's a nice place.  Will be full of cowboy shooters for sure.  Not far from the range.

Totes

17 hours ago, Hoss said:

I shot with the good folks at THSS today. They have done a lot of work on the range, fixing weak spots in boardwalks, rebuilding some stages, general sprucing up. Range looked good, weather was perfect. (A little chilly at first, but overall really nice!)

they have replaced all odd shaped targets with new mostly (if not all) AR 500 steel. They would not be considered “big and close” but definitely have moved them in from what they used to be (which I kinda miss!) very hitable. THSS had gained a reputation of small, far targets. They listened to shooters and moved them in and replaced most of the odd shaped targets. I’ll admit I don’t miss those train cars! 

They did keep the bears!   If you haven’t already, get signed up. THSS Trailhead 30 is going to be a great match. 

E21DD7A2-CACC-4BA5-B7B5-342F472A6E04.jpeg

0D716121-ADE0-40C0-B1E2-920690EEDCF2.jpeg

Those bears were standing in a field of Texas Bluebonnets during Trailhead 2019. :)

IMG_3302 (1).jpeg

I can attest that the targets are in more reasonable ranges now, fitting for a Texas State match. Don't know if they will have it this year, but at Trailhead last year they had a steel target 4 foot by 8 foot at about 8-9 yards. And yes you can miss that (I have a few times.) Sorry to see the bears are still there--I can't seem to get all my shots on those bears. Maybe this year.

3 hours ago, Totes Magoats said:

Billy,

We are staying at the Americas Best Value Inn.  They look to have availability still in Columbus.  It around $75 a night.  We have stayed there a couple times and it's a nice place.  Will be full of cowboy shooters for sure.  Not far from the range.

Totes

Thanks Totes,  just called and they did have some rooms available.  Now I need to decide what category to enter and get an application in the mail.  Have not shot TSHH in many, many years, 2004 I think.

4 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Must be danother event going down that way.  I'm finding either no vacancy or very expensive prices to rooms on match dates.  Anyone else finding that to be the case.  Granted i am not calling, just checking on Internet.

I called the RV place they listed. They was booked up also.

Did find another down the road. Not as close or as nice.

But was the next best choice.

12 minutes ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

I called the RV place they listed. They was booked up also.

Did find another down the road. Not as close or as nice.

But was the next best choice.

As I remember Thousand Trails is a big one.   

One of the things my traveling Pard Verdadero & I do every year is make a trip into Houston to Collectors Firearms. Biggest gun store I’ve ever seen. New, used, modern, antique,  military, curios, most long guns out where you can get all touchy-feely with them. Prices are a tad high, but they do bargain a bit. 

https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/

Thanks for the kind words, @Hoss. We're very excited to be hosting the SASS State Match for the first time in our history. We will be offering Sharpshooter and of course Cody-Dixon categories for State, but the THSS version of Wild Bunch will not be offered -- only SASS Wild Bunch that Thursday. 

And yes, @Dragon Hill Dave #59561, the Outhouse with the "barn door" will be there. I managed to screw that up pretty royally while trying to slam fire my 1897 shotgun during the TSRA match last month. Didn't miss but my time was way up. Won't do that again!

@Anvil Al #59168 I hope you enjoy the match. I've been at THSS for almost 6 years now, and I have seen quite a change in the target shapes and distances over the past few years. We've been work ing hard at making the stages more accessible to all shooters, whether it's listening to feedback about targets or adjusting stages to make maneuvering them  easier for everyone. Last year we made the Gallows much easier to use with the stairs. This year we plan to work on Fort Finn in time for Trailhead. Let me know what you think!

For those looking at hotels, there's a group of them at IH-10 and Hwy 71, start your search there. There's an RV park near there too. Weimar isn't too far away and also has several hotels.

For anyone interested, you can read up on the match and get an application at www.THSS.org/trailhead.

Best to all, 

Houston -- THSS Vice President

11 hours ago, Will Kane said:

There are also some great places to eat in Columbus. 

Schobels is a must go to place for sure.

Archived