SASS Wire Forum

Hat Cleaning?

Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619

Take my fur felt Stetson broad-brimmed fedora. It's silver grey. Bought it three years ago at the last true hat store in Seattle, just before it went out of business. There seem to be no more men's hat stores.

I take pretty good care of it, but with the light color it's getting smudged, now to the point where it's starting to become noticeable.

How do I clean it? The local dry cleaner I've used for years won't touch good hats. The hattery, as I said, is no more. I don't know if there's a real hat shop north of San Francisco.

Figure the cowboys here can help! I don't want to attempt it in ignorance; it's a great hat. I haven't had such a light-colored hat before.

Most smudges that are NOT oily/greasy will come out with a vigorous brushing.  Use a good hat cleaning sponge where possible! You can get the sponges at good western stores, (DO NOT use those sponges treated with chemicals!!) or on line.

Brush the hat in a clockwise direction. Hats are finished by sanding and it is done by spinning the hat counterclockwise.

If the stains or smudges still show, then rub in a little corn starch and let it sit for a while. Brush it out good and repeat if needed.

I used those orange hat cleaning sponges back in the old days. Bought them at Renton Western Wear, but I have been away from Seattle for a long time now, and I see they shut down in 2013. Search for “orange hat cleaning sponges” in your favorite search engine. 

14 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Most smudges that are NOT oily/greasy will come out with a vigorous brushing.  Use a good hat cleaning sponge where possible! You can get the sponges at good western stores, (DO NOT use those sponges treated with chemicals!!) or on line.

Brush the hat in a clockwise direction. Hats are finished by sanding and it is done by spinning the hat counterclockwise.

If the stains or smudges still show, then rub in a little corn starch and let it sit for a while. Brush it out good and repeat if needed.

THIS^^^

I was in Tucson 8 or 9 years ago and had Arizona Hatters clean, reshape, and sew in a new leather band for about $65. Don't know if they still do, or the price, but it would be worth a try. http://www.arizonahatters.com/ They are a respected, trustworthy place, been in business since 1935.

I guess I'm the other way around. I have a silver Tom Mix Stetson that I bought in 1981. I still will wear it occasionally. I took it to a hat shop for resizing several years ago and he asked me if I wanted it cleaned. My response was, "Heck No, It took me 30 years to get it looking this good." 

I kinda like the "Used/Lived-in/Rode Hard and Put Away Wet" look my ownself.

I've even been thinking about adding a bullet hole in the crown!!

3 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I've got a good hat, German-made Mayser, black, that has a hole in the crown. I tossed a hiking pole with a steel tip into the back seat a couple of years back, and naturally it hit the hat that was on one of the seats, and punched a hole. Getting that sort of thing repaired is nigh impossible, it seems, so I have taken to wearing it in all conditions and don't worry anymore about keeping it pristine.

But now I'm going to tell people it's a bullet hole!

As for my silver grey Stetson, it's a dressy fedora, not a cowboy hat, so I want it looking good...

5 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Once years ago Artie Fly came to a match with a brand new big-brim palm leaf hat.  Very first thing he did was fling it down range and shoot it a couple times.  :)

Archived