SASS Wire Forum

Shooting the 500S&W...

Just now, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I think the hardest 'palm thumper/wrist twister'  I own is a Ruger Bisley SBH Hunter in .45 Colt, loaded to max.

Indeed, it is not a pistol you want your wife or daughter use in learning how to shoot.

..........Widder

I love the Ruger Bisley for 44 and 45 magnum loads. I've not shot the Hunter Bisley but imagine the Hunter is a tad more sane than my 3.75" SBH Bisley. ;)

My Ruger RH with 2.75" barrel and 300+ grain 44 mag loads is actually quite manageable.

I think the hardest hitting “handgun” I ever shot was my friend’s Thompson Center pistol with a 10 or 12 inch barrel (can’t remember)  shooting 30-30 hard hitting lead bullets in Silhouette Matches. I attended several matches with him and  at each match we shot several “stages” - not sure what term they used.
The last match I went to two people showed up in wrist casts on there right arms. They were a married couple that shot competitions with all the folks in my friend’s club. Shooting Silhouette matches pretty much destroyed their wrists. I asked their cartridges of choice “30-30 loaded to top power factor for competition.” That’s how my friend’s loads were. 
I was already having wrist issues and their example prompted me to politely bow out of Silhouette Shooting. 

The dumbest thing I ever did was fire a 12 gauge pump shotgun one handed with the gun not aligned with my forearm. I am pretty sure that was the act that really messed up my thumb joint at the wrist. :blink:

700 grain bullet! You stopping tanks with that artillery? :D

Thanks, Three Foot...

Now I GOTTA get me one of those.

;)

The 700 grainer is horribly inaccurate, until you get the velocity up. If you can control your flinch at the top end of the loads, it will shoot near one-hole groups at 50 yards. It's pretty tough on scope mounts & bases though. ;)

MrShorty2.jpg

Archived