SASS Wire Forum

Shooting the 500S&W...

So last year my brother in-law bought one of these monstrosities. Today at the farm was my first time to try it. 

I still don’t know their practical purpose, but it sure put a grin on my face. And that’s good enough for me. 

The small cartridge is a 45ACP for comparison. 

35C1E5F5-B604-42B1-A12B-CA7E384AF8D9.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

So last year my brother in-law bought one of these monstrosities. Today at the farm was my first time to try it. 

I still don’t know their practical purpose, but it sure put a grin on my face. And that’s good enough for me. 

The small cartridge is a 45ACP for comparison. 

35C1E5F5-B604-42B1-A12B-CA7E384AF8D9.jpeg

.... for shooting the T-Rex in the backyard, behind the house, from your front yard whilst you are in front of your house ... ;)

I vote yes. :P

I would have definitely wanted to shoot one a few years ago. Shooting stuff like that is one of the reasons my wrist is all jacked up. I reserve revolver round like .44 magnum and more powerful loads to carbines and rifles now. The most powerful handgun rounds I shoot now are .357 Magnum and .45 Colt. ;)

8 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

...the most powerful handgun rounds I shoot now are .357 Magnum and .45 Colt. ;)

.357 mag ain't exactly no slouch and 45 Colt can be a real whompstomper when pushed easily past cowboy loads. I roll some of my own that get close to Buffalo Bore loads. And them ain't no all day shooting extravaganza either. Love 'em, I do. B)

Both however fail to even serve water to the 500 S&W nuke.

One of the shooters at a local shoot brought one for some of us to try afterwards. He had reloads that were somewhat loaded down. Of course it wasn’t bad at all, no worse than a  full load .44 magnum. :)

My neighbor sold his 454 to his brother and replaced it with the 460.
A couple days back, they were out shooting them...
My neighbor says his hand still hurts from that 460.

No thanks..
No thanks, at all.
Nope.
Nada.

I loved mine,  was one of the last to go this summer.   

I would rather shoot it that some of the ultra light .357 snubnose  revolvers ive shot.   There is actually a video floating around of me shooting gf with it and a .460  factory loads

I lucked into mine.   The original owner bought it to carry for bear on his Alaskan moose hunt.  Brought it back after the trip with only 1 round fired out of the box.     He sold it to me for  $500, on the condition I never tell his wife the real cause of the new scar on his forehead.  

I vote yes because we can.

I have an unported 15 inch 460 S&W barrel on an encore pistol. Has a bit of a wallop. I have heard the 500 isn’t really quite as bad. I think I am going to have the 460 ported

1 minute ago, Trigger Mike said:

Whenever my 15 year old says he wants one with the super long barrel, I ask him if he has issues that cause him lack of confidence and a need to compensate.   He says not

Dad, you’re gonna give the kid a complex. :lol:

I use it for my daily walks to the forest because I am in grizzly country. I am an El Rey so on the very rare occasions that I shoot it, it's with both hands.  I am also getting close to the end of  shooting Gunfighter with my .45 Colt OM Rugers. My left wrist is pretty arthritic so two handed is for the .50.  Old age isn't for sissys.

Jerry Miculek ain't a large man nor is he a young man. Although he did say "that's about all the fun he wanted to have" he did it and did it well and couldn't stop laughing.  The gun was compensated and he was only shooting 300 grain bullets. How bad can that really be? :D

20210117_063755.jpg

A recently passed family member had about six in various configurations.  After he passed I was offered my choice of a couple at decent prices.  I had to pass.  I'm a bigger fan of the .460 S&W, though I don't think it will do anything better than the .454 Casull in all reality.

55 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

A recently passed family member had about six in various configurations.  After he passed I was offered my choice of a couple at decent prices.  I had to pass.  I'm a bigger fan of the .460 S&W, though I don't think it will do anything better than the .454 Casull in all reality.

The .460 does offer flexibility that the 500 does not.

454 Casull probably does everything needed and has its own flexibility.

At least ammo is available for these. The .480 Ruger and 500 JRH type stuff, not so much.

10 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Whenever my 15 year old says he wants one with the super long barrel, I ask him if he has issues that cause him lack of confidence and a need to compensate.   He says not

I had a smart aleck ask me one time what was I compensating for because I was carrying a gun. I told him if I was worried about that I would be carrying something with a barrel longer than 4 and a quarter inches.

I shot one and it is formidable.  The S&W .460 was just offensive though......I didn't buy one due to the lack of rouge elephants in my neck of the woods.

I took a cow elk with one of my .500's several years ago. It wouldn't have been my first choice, but I happened to be looking out the front window and saw two elk run across the highway a couple miles off, the revolver was laying right there, already loaded, and a rifle wasn't. I grabbed it, jumped in the truck, and went tearing across the fields to a spot I figured they'd have to cross through. About 15 seconds later, there they were, so I hit the ground prone and dropped one of them. One of the three easiest elk I've ever taken.  :)

35 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

The Big Horn 1889 is a lever gun in .500 S&W that is similar to JMB's Winchester 1886/1892.  Seems like a great combo for bears, moose and such.

Base price, $2559.99, shipped, or $5409.99 fully optioned - $600 non-refundable deposit.  :blink:

That Bighorn is really nice but I'd bet my $600 Marlin 45-70 can do everything the Bighorn can.

:o

As many (if not ALL) of you know, felt recoil is subjective and some of that is due to the grips, etc.....

My 629 V-Comp (.44 mag) hurts my hand somewhat, even more so than the Tauras .454 Raging Bull, even when loaded full bore.

I have a couple .460 Rowlands set up on 1911 frames that are mighty potent, and even with rubber rap-around grips, they still

can leave you with some tingling in your palm after a couple mags run thru..... something like getting hit with a ball bat in

your palm.

At 69, I still have good hands and fingers, etc..... but I'm not a glutton for punishment.  Therefore, I'll stick with my magnums

and .460 Rowlands.   You big boys can play with those 500's.

..........Widder

I watched that video with Jerry Miculek firing the .500 S&W. He laughed about it but I believe those 8 rounds he fired were the first and last he’ll fire of that round. I noticed he didn’t say what he changed in his grip after the first 3 shots. I recall from other videos he likes a painfully tight grip.

Regardless, I will probably never fire a .500 S&W. A little over a year and a half ago I got the bright idea to pursue buying a .44 Magnum. Even though I knew I had wrist issues I figured I would be able to tough it out. The S&W 69 I had my eye on was sold and there were no other local .44 Magnum revolvers about, though truth be told I really didn’t look real hard. 
I had my first appointment with my first hand surgeon. He was an IPSC and IDPA shooter. As he explained everything that is wrong with my right wrist I knew then and there my days of hard hitting handguns were over. 
Oh, I don’t really mind. It’s not that big of a loss. I would rather enjoy my shooting and shoot lesser powered cartridges than lose the ability to shoot with my right hand all together. We also spoke about me never being able to ride a bike again if I didn’t change my ways. 
I am happy to shoot less powerful rounds as long as I can do that and ride my motorcycle, that’s good enough for me. ;)

Oh, Dantankerous, my .357 and .45 loads aren’t pushing the SAAMI Max pressures. The .45 is close but I have toned down my .357 loads to around 1100 FPS with 158 grain bullets. 

I think the hardest 'palm thumper/wrist twister'  I own is a Ruger Bisley SBH Hunter in .45 Colt, loaded to max.

Indeed, it is not a pistol you want your wife or daughter use in learning how to shoot.

..........Widder

Archived