SASS Wire Forum

Gun sites

Having observed the buying feeding frenzy, on the various gun sites, makes me wonder the causes of it all.

I can name a few, that friends of mine have cussed and discussed.

One of the reasons could be that people want to purchase that firearm, before the anti-2nd amendment leftists, get in power and start their hitler/stalin/talaban-style policies of restrictions on our sport, and our freedoms.

My question is: what firearm would YOU purchase, if you believed you needed to purchase just one now, or perhaps lose the right to do so, in the near future?

I have been thinking about what I would purchase. An "assault" style rifle (just to tick off the "beto's" out there)? A collectable, like a 1st generation Colt? A collectable hunting rifle, like a model 70 Winchester, or a model '94 Winchester, or a Smith & Wesson triple-lock? 

I am not saying all this will happen, but as we cussed, and discussed it around here, that could be one of the reasons for the buying feeding frenzy going on, right now. Knowing what is coming into power, in D.C., one can never tell what malarkey (Irish word for cow-patty) they will try to pull. 

I already purchased my Daisy Red Ryder BB gun, several years ago, after watching that movie several times. But what to buy now, while there is yet time? Not sure.

So many choices....so little time.

How 'bout you?

W.K.

Something in 5.56 or 7.62x 39.  Probably find ammo in those calibers.

Been thinking about 5.56 meownself.

You can still find 7.62x39 for reasonable cheap.  I’ve been watching 5.56 go up even further in last couple weeks and it’s around 1 buck a round....9mm is almost the same price.  

I bet gun prices on non collectible stuff keep dropping as no one has ammo for them........but I’m getting more and more likely to spend 150 bucks on 1,000 primers every day that goes by.....

Benelli M4 with factory 7 round cap

I did this 2 years ago, due to state politics. So nothing new for me in that vein. Sadly they were all subsequently lost in the tragic boating accident.

I thought about buying another AR-15 lower receiver just to build later, but I keep thinking that to be perfectly honest, the AR-15 just doesn’t trip my trigger any more. I have 1. I don’t “need” another one. 

I thought I might like a Springfield M1A but I would have to get it accurized and spend a lot of time and money doing so and there are other things I want that are much higher on my list, like maybe a Ruger Super GP100 8 shot .357 Magnum or a Ruger Redhawk.45 ACP / .45 Colt or maybe a Ruger Blackhawk.45 Convertible or maybe a Henry Long Ranger in .308.

All my adult life it seems that every few years there is a “firearms emergency” where everyone panics and buys up “stuff you might not be able to get anymore.”

Quite honestly I am tired of it and have fallen for that crap and wasted lots of money time and energy on those situations. 
I may pick up another AR lower but if I don’t it won’t be the end of the world for me. 

13 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Having observed the buying feeding frenzy, on the various gun sites, makes me wonder the causes of it all.

I can name a few, that friends of mine have cussed and discussed.

One of the reasons could be that people want to purchase that firearm, before the anti-2nd amendment leftists, get in power and start their hitler/stalin/talaban-style policies of restrictions on our sport, and our freedoms.

My question is: what firearm would YOU purchase, if you believed you needed to purchase just one now, or perhaps lose the right to do so, in the near future?

I have been thinking about what I would purchase. An "assault" style rifle (just to tick off the "beto's" out there)? A collectable, like a 1st generation Colt? A collectable hunting rifle, like a model 70 Winchester, or a model '94 Winchester, or a Smith & Wesson triple-lock? 

I am not saying all this will happen, but as we cussed, and discussed it around here, that could be one of the reasons for the buying feeding frenzy going on, right now. Knowing what is coming into power, in D.C., one can never tell what malarkey (Irish word for cow-patty) they will try to pull. 

I already purchased my Daisy Red Ryder BB gun, several years ago, after watching that movie several times. But what to buy now, while there is yet time? Not sure.

So many choices....so little time.

How 'bout you?

W.K.

Got what I need and most of what I want.  A bit short on some ammo, but not in danger of running out to the point where it becomes dangerous.

I don't have any "black rifles" and only a few handguns that most folks would consider survival guns.  My calibers run from .22 short to .45-70 with a .50 muzzle loader just because.  Is it an effective weapon?  'Tis for one shot, maybe more.

I've always wanted an M-1 Carbine.  A friend of mine had one back when I was in High School.  Lots of fun.  I just can't justify the expense, now.  They've gotten way overpriced for me.  It's basically a high powered .22.  (Yes, I know it's a .30 cal.)  Lot's of fun, cool gun, but no real purpose other than plinking.

Angus

3 hours ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

I've always wanted an M-1 Carbine.  A friend of mine had one back when I was in High School.  Lots of fun.  I just can't justify the expense, now.  They've gotten way overpriced for me.  It's basically a high powered .22.  (Yes, I know it's a .30 cal.)  Lot's of fun, cool gun, but no real purpose other than plinking.

Angus

When my daughter shot mine she said "It's my 10/22 on steroids! Thanks dad!". Hey, wait, what?!?!?

On 1/16/2021 at 12:41 PM, Black Angus McPherson said:

Angus

Check out the Ruger PC Carbine in 9mm. Not quite as small and light as an M1 Carbine but it is definitely a fun gun that can be used for serious purposes. 

On 1/16/2021 at 7:22 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I may pick up another AR lower but if I don’t it won’t be the end of the world for me. 

Quoting myself here...

I went to my LGS today to pick up some magazines and see what they might have on the shelves and while there I decided “No, I won’t be buying another AR-15 lower receiver.”

If I do try to buy anything that might be banned it will be more “pinned” Glock magazines. In CA we have a 10 round limit. My LGS sells 17 round mags that have been “pinned” (riveted) so they will only hold 10 rounds. I plan to buy some more of these...even though I have a bunch now. I may look into buying some AR parts and maybe some Glock and PC Carbine parts. 

I was on the fence about buying a SIG M17 for the past couple of years. I finally decided to do so and get some spare mags for it just in case they pass a mag cap law in my state. I also want the closest thing to a genuine Thompson that I can own (semi-auto SBR), but they're too expensive so I will have to wait and take my chances.

On 1/16/2021 at 12:41 PM, Black Angus McPherson said:

Angus

There are several repros on the market but quality can be spotty. Try to find an original if you can. The ones that are import-marked are a lot less expensive. I agree they're mostly plinkers, but that's all I do with firearms anyhow.

14 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Check out the Ruger PC Carbine in 9mm. Not quite as small and light as an M1 Carbine but it is definitely a fun gun that can be used for serious purposes. 

It may be fun, but it just doesn't have the history attached to it that an M1 Carbine has.  Commercial M1 Carbines (Plainfield?) put me off a little, too, for the same reason.

Plus, I kind of balk at buying anything labeled "PC".  Kind of like buying a car called a KIA.  :D

Angus

59 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

It may be fun, but it just doesn't have the history attached to it that an M1 Carbine has.  Commercial M1 Carbines (Plainfield?) put me off a little, too, for the same reason.

Plus, I kind of balk at buying anything labeled "PC".  Kind of like buying a car called a KIA.  :D

Angus

Pistol Cartridge” not Politically Correct. 

Also, you can shoot the hell out of it and not have to worry about messing up a collectible. ;)

Archived