SASS Wire Forum

Nice Paint.

Subdeacon Joe

Looks like the British Navy's "Dazzle Camoflage" in WW2

2 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

You are right! It was WW1.

It was both. But WWI  was the heyday. 

The French also used it in WWII.   I'll have to dig up the YouTube of Operation Torch that shows the USS Brooklyn and the French vessel Gloire.

ADDED:

My dad was a  Fleet Marine on the USS Brooklyn during this operation. 

Howdy,

I wonder if having that camo would make the car harder to see

on the street and up the odds of having a crash.

Green trucks sort of hide around here in the summer.

They blend right in with trees and lawns.

Lawyer might have fun with that.

Best

CR

yes its cool....

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

It was both. But WWI  was the heyday. 

The French also used it in WWII.   I'll have to dig up the YouTube of Operation Torch that shows the USS Brooklyn and the French vessel Gloire.

Wasn't the story that the horizontal bars in the camo was supposed to ply hob with the prisms in the periscopes?

12 minutes ago, Noz said:

Wasn't the story that the horizontal bars in the camo was supposed to ply hob with the prisms in the periscopes?

More to fool the eye od the gunner at the periscope.   Pattern disruption to make it harder to estimate range, course, and size.  

"Dazzle Ships – The Public Domain Review" https://publicdomainreview.org/collection/dazzle-ships

31 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

I wonder if having that camo would make the car harder to see

on the street and up the odds of having a crash.

Green trucks sort of hide around here in the summer.

They blend right in with trees and lawns.

Lawyer might have fun with that.

Best

CR

yes its cool....

I think it would make it more difficult to estimate its speed. 

Also, consider it in dense fog.

Actually Dazzle Camo was first implemented to punish Deck Apes that drank too much on Liberty and got themselves into trouble. Their punishment was EMI - Extra Military Instruction. They were assigned to paint their ship on their off time. Admiral G. Marx saw it and implemented it on many ships in the fleet. 

Side note: I believe that Admiral’s first name was “Groucho”, but I could be wrong about that. 

:P

I saw a 68 Chevy truck wrapped like this car below to make it look old and rusty...uh, to make it like like it has a nice “patina”, the car guys say. 

034F947F-2AAA-4D4E-B240-EB7F6A8F565F.jpeg.8eef218d4b41f936087165b76b68074a.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I saw a 68 Chevy truck wrapped like this car below to make it look old and rusty...uh, to make it like like it has a nice “patina”, the car guys say. 

034F947F-2AAA-4D4E-B240-EB7F6A8F565F.jpeg.8eef218d4b41f936087165b76b68074a.jpeg

I don't think rust is supposed to have a high gloss sheen to it. :P

4 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I don't think rust is supposed to have a high gloss sheen to it. :P

No, it was just a picture I grabbed for an example. 

7 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Some of those car guys actually clear coat over the rust to preserve the "patina". I don't know why.

I am thinking it is the same reason some folks strip blue from a new gun or even rough it up to make it look old and well used.

23 minutes ago, Prof. Fuller Bullspit said:

I am thinking it is the same reason some folks strip blue from a new gun or even rough it up to make it look old and well used.

Good to do that to a new suitcase when traveling. Less likely to get the attention of customs.

56 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Some of those car guys actually clear coat over the rust to preserve the "patina". I don't know why.

Yep, I saw one in Oregon like that. Odd. 

The human eye/brain gets programmed to identify car and larger sized objects on the road. There was a study done years ago that showed motorcycles can be virtually invisible to someone who is not concentrating sufficiently. That paint pattern would play hob with someone’s visual sense. Especially in low visibility conditions. 
His friends should start a pool on how long it’s going to take to get a severe wrinkled finish on it.

12 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Rat Rods are a big deal. Some guys spend a fortune to get their car to look like a rusted POS! We had a Rat Rod show here a couple of years ago. One guy said he had nearly 20k in his 53 Chevy. :blink:

Archived