SASS Wire Forum

Computer internet connectivity help

Chief Rick

I'm in a hotel with free internet.  My work laptop and my personal tablet connect fine.

My personal computer connects to the router but shows no internet.

I only have one option to connect to, regardless of which device I use.

I've deleted the cookies and restarted the computer but I get the same thing.

Any ideas or recommendations?

I appreciate the suggestions but it didn't work.  Disconnected everything and tied to connect the laptop - no go.  Connects but no internet.  Turn the tablet back on and it connects almost instantly.

What OS is on the laptop?  On the Tablet?

If it is windows 10 on the laptop when you are connected what name does it assign to the connection? Does it call it an "unidentified network" or something else.

This is going to sound silly, but call the front desk. Maybe one of the staff knows a work around. That worked for me once years ago. The kid that was the Bell Hop came up and figured out my problem in seconds flat. 

10 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

What OS is on the laptop?  On the Tablet?

If it is windows 10 on the laptop when you are connected what name does it assign to the connection? Does it call it an "unidentified network" or something else.

Windows 10 on the laptop. Network is identified the same way on the tablet as it is on both my personal and work laptops. 

My tablet is a Samsung. I have no idea what the OS is other than to say android based. 

I have a 5-6 year old Asus w/Windows 10 on it that does the same thing you describe on my home network. If I manually turn off WiFi and wait a few minutes it will reconnect and resolve the "Connected without internet" issue. Its quite annoying. I suspect its a hardware driver that Windows has screwed up.

My work laptop and our brand new laptop don't do this; both Dell and Win10.

54 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

Windows 10 on the laptop. Network is identified the same way on the tablet as it is on both my personal and work laptops. 

My tablet is a Samsung. I have no idea what the OS is other than to say android based. 

Does it ever update?  It will tell you its name.

15 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Does it ever update?  It will tell you its name.

I'm not sure what you're asking. The laptop says it's up to date but I can't get internet. I'm not having any problems with tablet other than it's slow. 

Here are what I see on the laptop:

20210116_153931.jpg

20210116_154056.jpg

Ok. So I walked over to the libby with the laptop and tried to connect to that router - no joy. 

But, I was able to connect to the other router that's listed and it stayed connected walking back to my room. 

20210116_161032.jpg

Anytime windows 10 shows the network connection name as "Unidentified Network" instead of something like "Network 2" You will not be able to connect to the internet or other devices on the nerwork because Windows 10 treats that connection as a security risk. 

There is no user available settings that will change this fact. I have spent hours way deeper into win 10 security settings than anyone should ever have to go and never got around this issue. 

In your case this doesn't appear to be the cause of the problem. But I still believe that it is an issue specific to windows 10 and its embedded network security.

It appears there is only one router for the entire facility.  I have carried my laptop to both of the pavilions inside the grounds and two of the buildings opposing each other and my "available internet" name never changes.  I have no idea where the router is located, but the facility is not that big.  It's still connected and working this morning.

image.png.77b725e49defb5ce03948d288f417928.png

Archived