SASS Wire Forum

1873 .45 acp conversion?

Currahee

What changes exactly does the conversion make?

Usually:

barrel set back and new chamber cut for .45 auto case

(which means the barrel's cut for mag tube hanger may have to be recut, and mag tube shortened to match barrel length)

(and making two cuts in breech end of barrel for extractor hook and the cartridge support tab)

new lifter (often from the Smith Shop) fitted (because the round is so short, two rounds jam into the lifter at same time)

new extractor can sometimes be needed to better grab the rimless case

Remember that you normally don't get any shorter lever stroke than a .45 Colt rifle with the same short stroke kit installed in it.  And a few of the conversions I have seen have not run large-pistol-primed (standard) .45 auto ammo, and users have had to use the small-primer cases. 

For all the expense, I have not seen the advantages or economy of converting over a perfectly-functioning 73 to run the .45 auto round.

Good luck, GJ

Just wondering why large-pistol primed cases won’t t work while the small pistol primed cases work?  I thought that the external dimensions were the Sam for both cases.

BTW whomever came up with small pistol primed 45 acp brass should be lined up and shot down.  (Figuratively speaking of course.)

53 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

My question is why would you want this? I'm sure without a proud rim, the ACP round would have issues.

Are .45 Colt rounds that scarce?

The main reason is so folks that shoot Wild Bunch can run the same ammo in pistol and rifle. Plus 45 acp brass is much cheaper and plentiful.

26 minutes ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

why large-pistol primed cases won’t t work while the small pistol primed cases work?

Haven't seen anyone who has figured that out yet, and that includes a gunsmith or two who have done the conversions.

1 hour ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

The main reason is so folks that shoot Wild Bunch can run the same ammo in pistol and rifle. Plus 45 acp brass is much cheaper and plentiful.

Ohhhhh, I'll buy that. Not a Wild Buncher so...

56 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I was gonna say, all you gotta do is change the cylinder.   Then I realized the thread was about the 1873 Winchester rifle, not the 1873 Colt revolver.  :)

Yeah, ACP cylinders for rifles are MUCH harder to find!  :)

I bought one from Cody several years ago.  Initially had a problem but Cody fixed it and it has run

100% since then.  I had a bunch of 45 acp brass from the old IDPA days.   Really nice using the same

ammo for both guns.  I would do it again.  By the way, I shoot all kinds of mixed, junk old brass...both

military and/or commercial.

Archived