SASS Wire Forum

911? The Guy I Stole a Towtruck From Just Pulled a Gun On Me

Subdeacon Joe

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/chicago-carjacker-calls-9-1-1-because-his-victim-pulled-gun-on-him/

A Grand Crossing man stole a towing company’s truck and then called 911 himself because he was upset that the truck’s driver dared to pull a gun on him, prosecutors said.

Elliott Scott, 22, is charged with aggravated possession of a stolen motor vehicle, misdemeanor theft, and driving on a suspended or revoked license.

“Mr. Scott called 911?” a befuddled Judge Charles Beach asked prosecutors after hearing their allegations.

“Yeah,” Scott interjected. “Right.”

Scott’s defense attorney quickly advised him, “it’s not best to talk about the charges” in court.

Quite surprised - pleasantly, though - that the cops didn't hassle the truck owner...   :mellow:

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Misdemeanor theft?

Bet for the personal effects and tools on board that didn't equal felony theft.

Here in Canada, the tow truck driver would have been charged and the book thrown at him.

The thief would receive a suspended sentence or had the charges dropped in exchange for his testimony against the tow truck driver.

Don't believe me?

Google Ian Thompson here in Canada.  

6 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Misdemeanor theft?

That’s what I thought, the article called it car jacking but even if he just stole it out of a lot how is that just a misdemeanor? And maybe this is why Chicago has the crime problem they have .

Here in CA, they would have jailed the truck owner for violating the self-esteem of that poor thief..
Obviously, the thief "needed" that truck, so all should be forgiven.
CA would no doubt give the thief a washer and dryer, and an interview on Good Morning Sacramento.

Here in Sacramento, we see the thieves walking/running out of stores with stolen merchandise.
Safeway, and the others, have their employees sign contracts stating they will not confront nor apprehend shop lifters.
IIRC, the law turns a blind eye to thefts less than $900.

2 minutes ago, Whiskey Business said:

A tow truck costs tens of thousands of dollars. How could that possibly be a misdemeanor?

I was kinda wondering that myself. But given the times, I suppose anything goes. 

18 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

I was kinda wondering that myself. But given the times, I suppose anything goes. 

Oh yes. The courts are the problem. 

And why was license suspended? Surely not not for driving under the influence of drugs. 

6 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

Bet for the personal effects and tools on board that didn't equal felony theft.

He was charged with possession of a stolen vehicle AND misdemeanor theft

this has been emboldened with all the unrest [read that looting and burning] of our cities that has not been prosecuted openly and covered by our national press that enjoys their freedom of speech only to be propagandists 

Archived