SASS Wire Forum

209M primers in black powder shotshells?

Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329

Hi Folks:

Going thru the primer stash, I found a brick of CCI 209M primers.
I got them from an old friend years ago, and he has passed, so I thought I would verify my thoughts here.

Planning on using them for my black powder shotshells.

Mike Venturino always advised using magnum primers in BP rifle cartridges.
I figure that in BP shotshells, (essentially low-pressure loads), they would be safe & OK to use.

What does the expertise on the Wire say???

Thanks in advance.

--Dawg 

I use Cheddite standard 209s in everything that I shoot except for those MagTec brass shells that require LPPs!  Absolutely no issues!!  Your CCIs should be just fine!!!

9 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

The current trend around here for quality BP long range loads is match grade large pistol primers.

You need a paper 'wad' at the bottom of the primer pocket to raise the primer, because LPP are not as tall as LRP.

There's also cases of damage to the bolt breechface from primer set back using LPP.

OLG 

Thanks for all your comments.

I was pretty sure they would work just fine, but thought I would get some input just to verify.
--Dawg

9 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You need a paper 'wad' at the bottom of the primer pocket to raise the primer, because LPP are not as tall as LRP.

There's also cases of damage to the bolt breechface from primer set back using LPP.

OLG 

Well, the 15 shooters here that shoot single shot big bore black powder all use Federal LPP match grade. Have been for the last 12 years or so. I guess were just wrong. But we'll keep on doing it.

2 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Well, the 15 shooters here that shoot single shot big bore black powder all use Federal LPP match grade. Have been for the last 12 years or so. I guess were just wrong. But we'll keep on doing it.

You using large pistol primers in shotshells??

I ran pressure tests on this load 4.3 cc of Goex 3f  windjammer wad 1 3/16 oz  7 1/2  in AA cases  and the difference in pressure was less than 200 PSI, between 209- and 209 Mag primers ...

I really like CCI Benchrest LR primers in loading for my .40-65  Highwall, they give lower SD ....

Jabez Cowboy 

When I was actively shooting BP and loading my own shotshells, I used 209 primers with BP and they worked fine.  No issues at all.  As I remember I used a couple different brands, Winchester and CCI. (Edit, I just reread the original post and saw that the question was about Magnum primers-I used standard  primers.)

I will mention that the pressures were more consistent with the 209 Mag. primers ...

As were the velocities not that, this has any real meaning for our game .

Happy New Year to any I might have missed ....

Jabez Cowboy

Archived