SASS Wire Forum

National Metallic Rotary Case Tumbler Review

Cholla

I recently bought the Midway branded National Metallic Rotary Case Tumbler. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021666817?pid=825891

Pro:

Huge volume.

Built-in timer

Rubber-lined drum

Con:

Almost too big. 50 cases get lost in it. It supposedly holds 1,000 .223 cases in it. I believe it.

The cover is hard to get off because there is no way to find purchase with my hands. I feel a strap wrench would work well. I currently grasp it between my knees and twist the lid with both hands. It takes some work but it does come loose.

The cover leaked badly until I realized if I smear a little Dawn on the rubber gasket it lubricates it enough I can get it just a little more tight. Hasn't leaked since I started doing this.

It is noisy; more than a vibratory cleaner.

Overall, I am glad I paid the money. Until I resolved the leaking issue I was mad and felt is was a waste of money. I find myself matching up cases that won't nest inside each other so I can use up it's capacity. Mixing nickel and steel cases with brass with cause some orange cases. The steel cases looked like brass but a magnet said otherwise.

5 hours ago, Cholla said:

The cover leaked badly until I realized if I smear a little Dawn on the rubber gasket it lubricates it enough I can get it just a little more tight. Hasn't leaked since I started doing this.

It is noisy; more than a vibratory cleaner.

I had some minor problems with my Frankford tumbler leaking. I took a piece of about 150 grit sandpaper & a 12" long board & squared & smoothed the ends of the tub a bit & used a small bit of Mobile 1 grease on the gasket. Seemed to help a lot.

3 hours ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

Are you guys still using the SS Pins for these style cleaners?  There used to be a few good links on this type tumbling??

I do. Some do not. SS pins do not come with this unit.

Archived