SASS Wire Forum

"Hurricane force winds"... in Montana

Three Foot Johnson

I'm 65, and yesterday was one of the worst wind days I've ever seen. Eighty to a hundred miles an hour on the highline, with gusts in the Missoula area hitting 125 mph. Lots of shingles and roofing tin blowing about, plenty of signs down, LOTS of trees down, semis blown over, rail cars blown over, rocks in the air big enough to shatter windshields, buildings demolished, etc. Up north, there were multi-ton bundles of round bales rolling through fences, rolling down the Interstate, and mowing down signs before tearing through the fence on the other side and continuing on their merry way. 

Darn, hope everything is alright at home but on the bright side firewood should be easy to get. 

I have one piece of delta rib roofing tin on my house that's loose on the bottom edge, but other than that, no damage. Crusty's old barn has some pretty severe damage, but may be salvageable. :( 

CrustyBarn.jpg

We are 350 miles north of Missoula as the crow flies but, we only had 55 to 60 mph wind gusts however, a tree fell and missed my horse shelter by literally inches.  Lots of branches on the ground though.

My late father was a logger in the Northwet at one time.  After storms downed a lot of trees the Forest Service would have salvage sales so the downed timber could be harvested before it rotted on the ground.  There will be busy times for loggers and woodcutters this Spring.

Glad you are able to post videos.  That means you still have power.

Living in hurricane territory most my life, I’ve been through umpteen storms of 100+ mph. No fun at all. Glad you’re okay.

We had a 105 mph gust here in Cheyenne. Sustained 50 mph yesterday and today. Weather guesser said something about a recorded 120 mph gust near Wheatland.

There were some trucks blown over. They shut down the trains. Yes, rail cars do blow over. 

Archived