SASS Wire Forum

How do you pay for firearms?

sassnetguy50

Actually the correct answer is "none of your business".

I was making a $5,000 purchase one time. I held out my discover card to the owner of the store. I told him that discover charged him 3% for the privilege of using the card and therefore he was going to have to lose $150 on this purchase. But if he were to reduce the price from $5,000 to $4,900, I will give him a check.

Seemed like a win-win. I would save $100 on the purchase, and he would make an extra $50 on the sale.

He wouldn't do it. He would rather have discover pay him $4,850, then me pay him $4,900.

As the Buyer, you were thinking like an honest man.
As the Seller, he was thinking about a dishonest buyer.

As the seller, I would have built the 3% into my asking price, and refused a check.

59 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I was making a $5,000 purchase one time. I held out my discover card to the owner of the store. I told him that discover charged him 3% for the privilege of using the card and therefore he was going to have to lose $150 on this purchase. But if he were to reduce the price from $5,000 to $4,900, I will give him a check.

Seemed like a win-win. I would save $100 on the purchase, and he would make an extra $50 on the sale.

He wouldn't do it. He would rather have discover pay him $4,850, then me pay him $4,900.

My LGS posts a cash price and a credit price.  Problem solved.  

Buds Guns does this as well.
One of the irritating things about this, is how LONG it takes for your "cash" to reach their office, then then 7+ days of waiting period for the "cash" to clear.

Bud's has always done right by me... but it is a very slow process.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

He may have known the exact rate charged for that card.  3% is a generic rate.  The card fee may have been $80.  

A small LGS here has happily taken my check, once for a certain revolver, and once for a rifle. On the other hand, both were ordered and the first checks were down payments. So if they hadn't been good, they'd have known it before the final purchase.....

I'm finding in general that checks are sort of fading away. Local places that always took them no longer do, especially restaurants.

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

Well, in his defense transactions by CC are covered by fraud protection and a bunch of other stuff. Checks on the other hand... sweat it out for a week and hope it goes through.

On 1/14/2021 at 12:22 PM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I use a credit card when dealing with firms and a Bank Cheque* when dealing with individuals.

*Yes, that's how we spell CHEQUE (or Check as you folks call them) here in Canada, but it's funny to see what auto-correct tries to provide as a correct option!!

Eh!

2 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Eh!

Eh! in this form is an exclamation of agreement.

Eh  or Eh?i n this form is an interrogative. 

On 1/14/2021 at 1:49 PM, sassnetguy50 said:

Do you pay cash, check, or credit card?  Would you be willing to use other methods?

I've done all three and a money order for gun broker.  Companies like KGC and Buds already offer an electronic pay option.  More would follow and possibly offer the "cash discount"

Read an opinion editorial that recommended controlling purchases by credit card companies blocking transactions, especially for 80% lowers and components.

If the Seller gives me a discount for paying with cash, that’s how I’ll pay.  Otherwise Credit Card to accumulated “rewards” money.

16 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Eh! in this form is an exclamation of agreement.

Eh  or Eh?i n this form is an interrogative. 

Agreement. We are close to British Columbia out here. Eh!:D

On 1/15/2021 at 6:22 AM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I use a credit card when dealing with firms and a Bank Cheque* when dealing with individuals.

*Yes, that's how we spell CHEQUE (or Check as you folks call them) here in Canada, but it's funny to see what auto-correct tries to provide as a correct option!!

I'm with you Kid that's how we spell it down under...them other guys got a lot of words they spell real funny :)

I sometimes get a chuckle from the spelling vs. pronunciation (and vice versa) of Francophone surnames I encounter south of the Medicine Line.

It really emphasizes how far and wide the original settlers and Voyageurs travelled in North America.

9 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

I'm with you Kid that's how we spell it down under...them other guys got a lot of words they spell real funny :)

Just being efficient and eliminating those unneeded letters!:D

44 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I sometimes get a chuckle from the spelling vs. pronunciation (and vice versa) of Francophone surnames I encounter south of the Medicine Line

Not just French.

I was in junior high school with this skinny little black kid. Hosea. Pronounced José. Maybe 10 years later I start with a new eye doctor. Richard Hosea. Naturally I call him Dr.  José. He tells me it is pronounced Hosie.

My brother was in Demolay with this kid named Henry Beechum. I knew Henry, vaguely, for about 5 years. Then one day I saw his name written down. Beauchamps. Yeeeaaaahhh. That spells Beechum.

On 1/15/2021 at 11:49 AM, bgavin said:

Buds Guns does this as well.
One of the irritating things about this, is how LONG it takes for your "cash" to reach their office, then then 7+ days of waiting period for the "cash" to clear.

Bud's has always done right by me... but it is a very slow process.

I bought from them a couple times w Credit and this last time saved some by doing the e-check.   It was a little over a week before they shipped.

Yep.
It is well worth the extra 3% to save two weeks of delays until the cash clears.
When I bought with e-Check from Buds, they still waited a week for the check to clear.

Archived