SASS Wire Forum

How do you pay for firearms?

sassnetguy50

Do you pay cash, check, or credit card?  Would you be willing to use other methods?

I've done all three and a money order for gun broker.  Companies like KGC and Buds already offer an electronic pay option.  More would follow and possibly offer the "cash discount"

Read an opinion editorial that recommended controlling purchases by credit card companies blocking transactions, especially for 80% lowers and components.

This is discrimination!!  Banks and credit card companies should have no control over legal commerce!!

There are new recommendations from the comptroller of the currency to that effect!

I still try to deal mostly in cash.

I've used cash, credit cards and money orders.  Have never had a problem with firearms purchases.  There is always somebody trying to start a new conspiracy even when there is no conspiracy.  Sheesh. 

I use a credit card when dealing with firms and a Bank Cheque* when dealing with individuals.

*Yes, that's how we spell CHEQUE (or Check as you folks call them) here in Canada, but it's funny to see what auto-correct tries to provide as a correct option!!

I've used cash, credit cards and money orders, and even PayPal once some time ago. Electronic would be convenient.

Cash. It doesn't show up on the statement at home. There are a few small advantages to being married and I would like to keep enjoying ALL of them.

I mostly like using cash because the transaction is limited in what anyone can learn.  I do use postal money orders for some transactions. I don’t mark what I am paying for on any form of currency and I try to do all of my buying and selling face to face, not only with firearms and ammunition, but with nearly everything but groceries and medical expenses.

I get receipts for business stuff and use a debit card for gas and travel with the band.

Credit card 90% of the time. Never had a problem.

30 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I've used cash, credit cards and money orders, and even PayPal once some time ago. Electronic would be convenient.

No it wouldn't, and it would introduce one more group fiddling around in my business. 

Most things, that I want, I don't have the ready cash to obtain. I mostly use a credit card (NOT a debit card), for the transaction. If the item is not too expensive, I use a Cashier's Check, from my local-yokel bank. 

But, since all things I would like to have, have gone up in price, I have to use the credit card. I just pay it off, over the months, and not use it again until it is paid off.  

Back in the day, when a lot of stores had a lay-a-way plan, I would put the item on lay-a-way, and pay some each month, until I got it payed off. 

Around here, anyway, the lay-a-way plan has kind of gone by the wayside...so...I use plastic.

My Two Bits

W.K.

I use credit, debit or cash. I did have one credit card get declined right after I heard that Citibank was declining gun purchases. Since this was a Barclay card I was concerned that perhaps something was amiss. There was, the clerk entered $6,000 some-hundred dollars instead of the $600 and change that he should have. Duh!

When it occurred he did ask me if it was a Citibank card as they had some customers get declined in their purchases. 
Maybe next time I stop in there I will ask if that trend has continued. 

Some of the local shops do not accept American Express due to the transaction fees being excessive.

1 hour ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Last purchase was with a bank money order. When asked by the clerk what the money was for (which is none of their business), I replied it was for "western artwork".:ph34r:

Nice touch...I will have to remember that one...

Texas Lizard

Cash, some places will give you a discount for cash or at least not charge you the extra 3% with a CC purchase. Plus if I don't have the cash on me it makes me stop and think until I go home or go to the bank to get some!

I don't buy very often online and mostly from SASS members and I pay by check personal or bank or money order. I very rarely use my credit card to buy a gun.

15 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

No it wouldn't, and it would introduce one more group fiddling around in my business. 

Very valid point.

17 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Electronic payment can be helpful.  Instead of typing in the credit card number, type in the routing and account number.  Another store is easier: take a picture of your check.  No more waiting 10 days for USPS to deliver an envelope 5 hours away.  Unless you prefer licking envelopes, then you can still mail the check in, at which point they will scan the check and run it through the same processor.

My last Gun Broker purchase (Vaquero Bisley 44 mag) was US Postal Money Order.
I was *not* comfortable with this, but the seller had all positive comments from other sales.

He took his sweet time about getting the gun shipped out, saying he was "far" from the post office, or some-such.
This went a long way to souring me on buying used... but they don't make OM Bisley Vaquero 44s anymore, so I had to tough it out.

I sent a PayPal friends and family to Deuce Stevens when I bought his Charles Daly 500... did not sweat that one one bit.
Most everything else (new) is VISA, vendor to FFL.
We are not allowed to make private or Face to Face transactions here in the PRK.

14 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Last purchase was with a bank money order. When asked by the clerk what the money was for (which is none of their business), I replied it was for "western artwork".:ph34r:

Did the same once. I said "Machined Parts".

Archived