SASS Wire Forum

Colt SAA Valuation

Chief Rick

Tough call for a price range.  

Questions that beg for answers - Any COLT letter for verification of that serial number?  Black box label, I think, for nickel guns is wrong color?  How used is it?  1960 was the year they started moving away from the black box?  Serial number on the bottom of the box?  All four clicks?  Just how bad do you want it?  If is is for an investment purpose, more research may be needed.  If it is for shooting, well, start a thousand lower than the asking price and see where ya go...;)

31 minutes ago, Oklahoma Dee said:

Tough call for a price range.  

Questions that beg for answers - Any COLT letter for verification of that serial number?  Black box label, I think, for nickel guns is wrong color?  How used is it?  1960 was the year they started moving away from the black box?  Serial number on the bottom of the box?  All four clicks?  Just how bad do you want it?  If is is for an investment purpose, more research may be needed.  If it is for shooting, well, start a thousand lower than the asking price and see where ya go...;)

I don't invest in guns.  I'm not a Colt collector but I'd buy one for the right price.  Those pictures were the best I could get from half-way around the world.  I don't have to have it and won't lose sleep over not getting it, unless I could get it for a steal.

It's not in the best of shape, but it does have the box, paperwork and bore brush.  Again, the box is not pristine, but that does add to the value.  And it IS a second generation, which seems to command a bit of a premium at times.

Based on what I have encountered, I would expect to see a price tag on that gun, locally for 1200 to 1800 depending on the store, and I'd think it was a reasonable price.   Would I buy it?   Well, I have so many .45s that I'd only go for it at the lower end of the range.  On the other hand, if I really was looking for one in that caliber and configuration, I'd jump at the high end price.

Below 1200?  It'd be going home with me.

This was bought through a Rock Island Auction and through a bit of research I've found out what it was auctioned at (not including all the fees) - $2875.  That's a little steep for me.

For Colt SAA second generation pistols, there are at least 2, 3 books that I have for reference guides.  That is why I question the box for one item,  as mentioned earlier, it can add 200 and up in additional costs.  Rock Island Auction has a real hard twenty plus buyers online cost.  Factor that in there.  Production numbers with corresponding years and factory setup can determine cost as well.  One of the many reasons why I am always interested in the Colt SAA Second Gen with a particular year and configuration from the factory.  For a shooter gun, heck, wait and you can find one for what you wanna pay for.  Sometimes the search is more fun, than the actual finding.  LOL.  

18 minutes ago, Oklahoma Dee said:

For Colt SAA second generation pistols, there are at least 2, 3 books that I have for reference guides.  That is why I question the box for one item,  as mentioned earlier, it can add 200 and up in additional costs.  Rock Island Auction has a real hard twenty plus buyers online cost.  Factor that in there.  Production numbers with corresponding years and factory setup can determine cost as well.  One of the many reasons why I am always interested in the Colt SAA Second Gen with a particular year and configuration from the factory.  For a shooter gun, heck, wait and you can find one for what you wanna pay for.  Sometimes the search is more fun, than the actual finding.  LOL.  

Yes, sir.

Just have to bet back in the states...

Soon.

Almost 3 grand?

Either prices have gone way up since the last time I bought a Colt, or whoever sold it at auction got very lucky.

Heck, less than 2 years ago, I got a used 2nd Gen in a fancy box that was GOLD PLATED for less than 2000.   Granted it was a "commorative" and they tend to sell for less than generic ones, but still...

Just now, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Almost 3 grand?

Either prices have gone way up since the last time I bought a Colt, or whoever sold it at auction got very lucky.

Mid $2000's were very common for the auctions that I looked up earlier.  And that does not include the buyers premiums though the auction sites.

The auction prices for Colts seem to be a bit above the real world price.  I bid on a nickled Colt Frontier Six Shooter on one Rock Island auction (7 1/2", 44-40), which was, at that time, in the $1,500-$1,800 range and the final number was around $2,200.  That's more than i would pay for a 3rd generation.

The Colt pictured has some wear on it and I don't know if the nickled ones came in a black box, so $2,875 + 15% for Rock Island, if it's not already reflected in the price, is well above it's value.

I have a Colt single action that was born, according to the serial number, in 1963, and it came in the black box. They did switch to the "stagecoach" box a few years later. The Colt I have, that I purchased new in 1973, came in a "stagecoach" box. 

The Colt I purchased in 1979 came in a sort of "woodgrain" brown cardboard box.

From your serial number, your Colt was created in the year 1960, so it could have come in a black box. The finish on the revolver, whether nickel, or blue, had no bearing on what type of box it came in. They all came in the black box, and later they all came in a stagecoach box.  Of course the "buntline" Colts came in a somewhat longer box, than the three traditional Colt barrel lengths.

Any early 2nd generation Colt will fetch quite a nice price, depending on the condition of the revolver. Some 2nd generation Colts can cost more than 1st generation Colts, again, depending on the condition, and even the caliber. This one could, like as not, fetch at least $1,800.00 and up, if you go by the Colt prices, for new and used 2nd generation Colt's. It would take someone that would need to look at it, in person, and is a recognized gun appraiser, to tell you exactly what it is worth, but from looking at Colts on the web for years, I believe it will fetch a nice price. Most Colts, on line anyway, are fetching over $2,000.00, for 2nd generation Colt's. They don't make the 2nd generation Colts anymore, so that will mean a higher price than a 3rd generation. Nickel plated Colts can cost more than the blue, simply because it takes a special process to put the nickel on them, and nickel is not going down in value. Of course, bluing and case-hardening a Colt is a special process too, but it seems nickel Colt's cost more, than the blue ones. I prefer the blue one's myself, but I do have a couple of nickel ones. 

My Two Bits.

W.K.

Oh....having the box, and the papers, will add value to the Colt. A new-old-stock black Colt box can run you several hundred dollars, and a stagecoach box will run around four hundred. The boxes are rare, and it is always best to retain the box, no matter what make or model of firearm you purchase. 

Having the box, is always better than not having the box. 

W.K.

Just beware that counterfeit boxes are being sold on eBay and other sites. Many new collectors buy them thinking they are original and pay the price. Some unscrupulous sellers buy the boxes and then put them with a gun, bingo-bango, they have a Colt in it's "original" box. You can find more information on everything in this thread on the colt forums.

www.coltforum.com

Found 1 results for 90225SA

Year of Manufacture
Model
SINGLE ACTION ARMY (3RD GENERATION)
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/revolvers/colt-revolvers-single-action-army-3rd-gen.c30_p1_o6.cfm

Archived