SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 73 Competition

Sarge

Thought I'd throw this out there.  This just popped up on FB.  Was supposed to be announced at the now canceled SHOT SHOW.  Supposed to be available for order through your dealer with delivery mid summer.  https://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-1873/model-1873-exclusive-products/model-1873-competition-carbine-high-grade.html?fbclid=IwAR0JgVcgcW87m0pHs253xR0ZYCJfkksMSQzoLl2h8VLiYXdDaXSPK3adcJY

Interesting.  Carbine with 20" barrel and barrel mounted front sight is more like originals.  But no 44-40 :(

Not sure why they are calling it a competition model.

19 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Interesting.  Carbine with 20" barrel and barrel mounted front sight is more like originals.  But no 44-40 :(

In the post on FB, they say it is a factory short stroke, although this ad doesn't say that.  Not sure the ad is all correct, as the original ad said it had a tang safety, but that has since been removed form the ad.

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

So knuckleheads like me will run out and order one. :lol:

I should probably stop by my favorite LGS and check on one Friday. :rolleyes:

The ad says it is drilled and tapped for a tang sight, so someone just got confused somewhere.  Might be short stroked.  Uberti factory "competition" guns have typically needed work.  So I'm curious how this one will stack up.

Hendo, we will expect a full report with pictures of inside as well.  Thank you.

:)

On 1/13/2021 at 10:23 PM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

The ad says it is drilled and tapped for a tang sight, so someone just got confused somewhere.  Might be short stroked.  Uberti factory "competition" guns have typically needed work.  So I'm curious how this one will stack up.

Hendo, we will expect a full report with pictures of inside as well.  Thank you.

:)

Well, I would love to help y'all out, but I just got back from my LGS and that bad boy doesn't exist.

(At least for now)

On 1/16/2021 at 3:45 PM, Hendo said:

Well, I would love to help y'all out, but I just got back from my LGS and that bad boy doesn't exist.

(At least for now)

Welp, I'm gonna stand and correct myself. They moved it from an "Exclusive Product" to a "Current Product".

Looks like I get to go back to my preferred LGS and look stupid. I still can't say if it is short stroked or not, but I do apologize for my previous report.

30 minutes ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

I got a  404 when I tried opening.

Just go to the main page for 1873 rifles. It's under Current Production. The link above takes you to where it used to be under the Exclusive Product section and it's not a good link anymore. 

Here is the current link.  It still doesn't say anything in regard to being short stroked.  https://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-1873/model-1873-current-products/model-1873-competition-carbine-high-grade.html

I thought the current Miroku built ones were considered short stroked already?

2 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

I thought the current Miroku built ones were considered short stroked already?

I'm pretty new to this sport. I call it "half-stroked." Not as short as a competition stroke on an Uberti, but shorter than the original Winchester.

As a result, the Miroku is not legal in NCOWS.

IIRC, bone stock (original and Uberti) is about 110 degrees, the Miroku is about 90 degrees, and a competition short stroke on an Uberti is about 80 degrees. (my numbers may be off a bit)

Many with more experience than I suggest shooting your gun for a year or so (context: Uberti) before deciding if you even need or want to short stroke it. There is no current kit available to stroke the Miroku, it is what it is. There was a kit but it is now out of production, anecdotal reports I found suggest the kit was not durable.

I bought one of the previous Miroku Shot Show specials last year, and must say I like it except for the lever safety spring (not that the rifle won't benefit from the lightest deburring and polishing). So I ordered lever safety springs from two makers and will hopefully void the warranty on mine some snowy day soon. My Shot Show special has upgraded Walnut furniture and excellent CCH on the receiver. Other than those two items, I'm sure it is otherwise the same as any other production Miroku.

I think every Miroku '73 is drilled for a tang sight.

Archived