SASS Wire Forum

Rifle to shoot 45 schofield

Marshall Matt Dillon

I now own a pair of S&W schofields. So,,,,i NEED a rifle that would shoot 45 schofield. 

What 45 colt rifle will shoot, or is best to rework to shoot 45 schofield? 

What has to be done to get reliability from a 45 colt rifle shooting schofield?

i can see extractor work may be needed for the larger rim. What else?

I ran a lot of Schofields through an unmodified Marlin Cowboy a few years ago with no trouble at all.  All were loaded with 250-255 grain bullets and mostly with blackpowder.

I shot my Uberti 73 built in 2005 with45 Schofield with no adjustments at all for over ten years with no problems. I did try shooting the 45 Schofield I an older Uberti 73 and with no luck. You might contact Uberti and see what they may have changed to allow their 45 Colt rifles to shoot 45 Colt as well as the Schofield round.

It will be the "Luck of the Draw."  Some toggle Link Uberti rifles will run Schofield cases right out of the box.  Some won't. The Big Bugaboo is the case rim diameter and the shape of the leading ramp on the extractor.  May need a little touching up for Schofield.  Running Schofield may also, in some cases, change your head space.

Had a Rossi 92 that would not let the 45 S&W through the loading gate. Had that opened up and it worked fine as did my Marlin. The 45acp 200 gr  swc is a great bullet for Scofield in a rifle since it is a little longer than a round nose flat point

As long as the bullet is long enough most Ubertis run then OK, but Uberti's are a bit length sensitive. My wife's carbine ran them OK, but it was easier to just run 45CS brass and use a modified carrier from The Smith Shop.

Never had one personally, but a 73 with the short carrier might be exactly what you are looking for. Some of the suppliers make one set up for cowboy special, S&W and Russian length and makes the 73 use the shorter rounds. Might be worth checking into. I never really tried the rnfp in a S&W case, in my Marlin but it will feed a full wadcutter in a Colt case so I suspect it would work fine, Every rifle is different so hard say just what will work perfect for you. Good Luck.  

Schofield ammo is too long to work with the modified carrier for short rounds.  Not needed, anyway.  Schofield rounds with a 200gr bullet (or larger) should work fine in a toggle link gun.  I shoot Schofields in my 16" '73 trapper carbine.  It will hold ten 45 Colts but it is really hard loading it, so I have switched to Schofields.  In my rifle, no modifications were needed.   I use a 250gr bullet (same profile as the 200gr) because this is my Wild Bunch rifle and easy to make power factor plus I have a lot of those bullets.  I had access to some 180gr Black Hills rounds.  Those were too short for the carrier and would jam.  With a '73 you can short stroke or any other go-fast mods, and still run 45 Colt in it with no problems.

3 hours ago, Marshall Dillon said:

I now own a pair of S&W schofields. So,,,,i NEED a rifle that would shoot 45 schofield. 

I can only tell you about my rifle.  It is a Uberti '66 and it feeds and fires .45 S&W Schofields fine with a 200gr. TCFP.  160gr is too short.

32 minutes ago, McCandless said:

I can only tell you about my rifle.  It is a Uberti '66 and it feeds and fires .45 S&W Schofields fine with a 200gr. TCFP.  160gr is too short.

Same here except I load an RNFP.

3 hours ago, Marshall Dillon said:

I use 200gr round nose in my reloading. Does not sound like that is the best to feed thru a rifle. I was hoping to use same ammo everywhere.

i shoot 200s thru all my revolvers and rifles without issue at all , 

Is a marlin legal rifle? In the rule book i just read at the very last of the rifle requirements,, a list of “other approved rifles” on Page 39. This statement was there in the list. 

Marlin 1894 Tube Feed Rifle—.32 H&R Magnum” 

Does that mean only the .32 h&r magnum is the only marlin allowed since it was specifically named? 

I prefer marlin lever actions in real life and already own a few. I Could easily be convinced to buy a marlin 45 colt rifle.  

I said that out loud as i was typing. My wife mumbled something about how i did need another one, but she was walking toward the kitched with her back turned,,so i am not sure if sarcasm is involved. I probly will just take it as good advice and buy one.

9 minutes ago, Marshall Dillon said:

Is a marlin legal rifle? In the rule book i just read at the very last of the rifle requirements,, a list of “other approved rifles” on Page 39. This statement was there in the list. 

Marlin 1894 Tube Feed Rifle—.32 H&R Magnum” 

Does that mean only the .32 h&r magnum is the only marlin allowed since it was specifically named? 

I prefer marlin lever actions in real life and already own a few. I Could easily be convinced to buy a marlin 45 colt rifle.  

I said that out loud as i was typing. My wife mumbled something about how i did need another one, but she was walking toward the kitched with her back turned,,so i am not sure if sarcasm is involved. I probly will just take it as good advice and buy one.

Yes, Marlin 1894s are legal rifles.

The one on pg 39 is listed specifically because it is a tube feed; doesn't have a side loading gate like typical Marlin 1894s.

2 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Yes, Marlin 1894s are legal rifles.

The one on pg 39 is listed specifically because it is a tube feed; doesn't have a side loading gate like typical Marlin 1894s.

Thanks, i get it now. That kicks out a bunch of henry rifles too. Maybe that is why they added loading gates to the new rifles. To appease you guys!

23 minutes ago, Marshall Dillon said:

Thanks, i get it now. That kicks out a bunch of henry rifles too. Maybe that is why they added loading gates to the new rifles. To appease you guys!

No, the Henry Big Boys are allowed too, just not listed separately anywhere(that I remember)

They aren't suited for CAS, tube feed or otherwise though. Jam-O-Matics.

30 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

No, the Henry Big Boys are allowed too, just not listed separately anywhere. 

They aren't suited for Cas tube feed or otherwise though. Jam-O-Matics.

I am back to confused then. The rule book needs updated? I need to figure out what is allowed or disallowed before i buy.

5 minutes ago, Marshall Dillon said:

I am back to confused then. The rule book needs updated? I need to figure out what is allowed or disallowed before i buy.

Ok I forgot, HBB is listed on pg. 39

OTHER APPROVED FIREARMS
The following additional firearms have been approved for use:
- Small frame Model P revolvers such as the Cimarron Firearms Lightning, Uberti 
Stallion, and Ruger Single Six .32 H & R Magnum
- Henry Big Boy Rifle (not legal in Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl Categories)
- US Firearms Omni Potent Revolver
- Marlin 1894 Tube Feed Rifle—.32 H&R Magnum
- Original or replica Nagant Single Action Revolver

You do NOT want a Henry Big Boy for CAS though.

Have you actually been to a match and tried anything out? That's your best bet. Me personally, I doubt I'll ever shoot anything besides a 1873 Uberti

I have never been to a match. I am gathering guns to do it. I am not concerned with competing or being fast, so i will not find guns for that direction. I will use guns that i will also enjoy outside of sass/cas whether they will be the best or worst for the games. Just need to be sure i have a gun that is allowed.

45 schofield is my latest infatuation.

14 minutes ago, Marshall Dillon said:

I have never been to a match. I am gathering guns to do it. I am not concerned with competing or being fast, so i will not find guns for that direction. I will use guns that i will also enjoy outside of sass/cas whether they will be the best or worst for the games. Just need to be sure i have a gun that is allowed.

45 schofield is my latest infatuation.

Rifle Requirements are on page 39 of the SHB (above the "Other Approved Firearms" list).
Some models will function with .45 Schofield (often depending on cartridge OAL)...some will not without being modified.

I understand the appeal of having the same exact caliber for both pistols and rifle, I think in SASS you might find it simply easier to load 45Sch in the revolvers and 45colt in the rifle.  (Unless you are absolutely flooded with Schofield brass and have no 45colt brass.)  45Schofield and 45colt can share the same bullet, powder, primer, load dies (with minor adjustment) and even be tumbled together.  Really all you need is a different shell holder and focus at the loading table and there is no reason you cannot easily shoot both Schofields and Colts.  That way you are not limited to finding a rifle that will run Schofields unmodified and can simply focus on what rifle you like.  All that being said once you start to attend matches you will see that the 1866/73 toggle link style rifles are easily the most popular in this sport and they are also the best bet for running 45 Schofields in their unmodified configuration. 

On 1/13/2021 at 6:57 PM, Marshall Dillon said:

The Marlins, Henry Big Boys, and 92s are more sensitive to the overall length of the cartridge.  Those made for .45 Colt will not usually feed the shorter Schofields well.  But, some will... go figure.

The types of rifles that are most likely to feed the shorter cases properly are the Uberti made Toggle-Link rifles, (the Henry 1860, Winchester '66, and Winchester '73 types).  That is because of their ramped carrier block which is different than the original flat-face block that required a specific length, (the original calibers, .32-20, 38-40, and .44-40, were all the same length).

Both of my old 1894 Marlins run 200gr rnfp Schofield loads fine and my old Stoeger [uberti] 1873 will also feed Schofield. The way that the carrier is shaped [on the magazine side] cams the next round back into the mag when the lifter is raised. 

I have a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Model in .45 Colt.  For a short while I was shooting .45 S&W (Schofield) in both my pistols and my rifle.  Never had a problem with the Marlin shooting either cartridge.  No modification done to the rifle at all.  FWIW I shot a 200 grain RNFP in the .45 S&W and 250 grain RNFP in the .45 Colt.

Welcome to the game.  You're going to have a blast.

Angus

49 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Welcome to the game.  You're going to have a blast.

Angus

I am counting on it!

If i buy a marlin, it needs to have the deep rifling? Will that be marked on barrel?

^_^  Marshal Dillon  

Here is a really easy solution.  Start with A Uberti Toggle Link Rifle.  '66, '73' Henry.  Put a Smith Shop carrier for Cowboy 45 Special ammo in the rifle.  Shoot C45S cartridges in the Rifle and the Schofields.  Easy Peasy.

19 hours ago, Marshall Dillon said:

I am counting on it!

If i buy a marlin, it needs to have the deep rifling? Will that be marked on barrel?

I know folks use both the Ballard rifling and the Micro-Groove rifling.  Some say you should avoid Micro-Groove for lead bullets, some say it makes no difference.  I say I don't have the expertise to tell you which, if either, is best.  Likewise, I don't know how the barrels are marked.

Glad I could help.  :D

Angus

Most Marlins that have the Micro-groove rifling are so marked on the barrel.

Archived