SASS Wire Forum

Grafs Fg vs FFg - it all goes BOOM!

Warden Callaway

Well crap! 

Grafs is out of Grafs FFg and FFFg!  Also Goex.  MidwayUSA is out of most black powder also.  I stopped in at Grafs (in Mexico Mo) this morning to see by chance they had any in their stash. No.  So I got a pound of Grafs FG. 

1172120443_GrafsfgffgJan2021.jpg.7868e4667ebff77744dafe62821f118b.jpg

The difference is hardly noticeable.  I shot 18 shots a bit ago and I expected,  all went boom.

Two observations, 

1) It was harder to get it to run through the powder flask.  I had to do a lot of shaking.  I learned to feel the valve cut powder on closing. 

2) It seemed to compress more.  The same charge seemed to leave the ball seated lower than FFg. I  tried the new capsules.   I found the full capsule brought the ball up near the top when seated.

And, not that it probably matters, but in revolvers especially it will give lower velocities.

good luck, GJ

I just bought 5lbs of 2Fg from Graf’s yesterday, what is there some kind of run on BP now??  I got an email from Midway today about their BP sales event and when I checked the only powder they had was Cannon.  

Yes, the new Graf's Black Powder is made by Goex.  Older Graf's Black Powder was imported by Schuetzen Powder Energetics, Inc. and manufactured be Wano Schwarzpulver GmbH in Germany.

Archived