SASS Wire Forum

Red beans and rice?

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

Got a recipe that calls for chopped onion, bell pepper and celery.....if you want any or all of them.

Also says you can also use"smoked sausage or ground sausage", but doesn't specify what kind of sausage.....

or you can use ground beef ham, or rotisserie chicken.

What kind of sausage?  Andoille (sp)?

Forty . . . Red Beans and Rice.

Oh yum.  I start with a box of Zatarans.  I sauté Green or Red Peppers.  No Celery.  I cut either Beef Sausage or Beef Kielbasa on the diagonal.  I give the meat a light fry and throw it in the pot and let it all simmer for a while.  Yum.  You can't get too much Kielbasa or Sausage in the pot. 

Like Coffinmaker I am a fan of Zatarain’s red beans and rice. I will also use Kielbasa or Polish Sausage or Farmer John’s Hot Links or pretty much any other sausage. 

Just remembered. Costco has smoked beef sausage made by Teton that is fantastic for red beans and rice. Give that a try if you get a chance. It’s darn yummy!

Some how in my many thousands of days on this planer I have never tried red beans and rice.  Watching NCIS NO reruns and decided to give it a shot.

Zatarians was recommended, so I bought a box.  I have all the other stuff, too (and don't like celery as a rule including some Jimmy Dean zippy sausage pattie.  I think two wil be enough, and if it isn't it's only 45 seconds and some chopping to add more.

Guess tonight is the night I lose me red beans and rice virginity.

Just now, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Some how in my many thousands of days on this planer I have never tried red beans and rice.  Watching NCIS NO reruns and decided to give it a shot.

Zatarians was recommended, so I bought a box.  I have all the other stuff, too (and don't like celery as a rule including some Jimmy Dean zippy sausage pattie.  I think two wil be enough, and if it isn't it's only 45 seconds and some chopping to add more.

Skip the celery. That is a sin!

Red beans and rice....that's home cooking for this Kajun...had some for lunch today.   And yes, andouille sausage is great in it.  If you can't get that just use whatever kind of link sausage you like.

Kajun

I picked this up somewhere. The recipe is not mine. The comments are not mine. And I haven't tried it yet.

But it sounds good.

Red Beans and Rice

Serves 3-5

Cost: $2.75

1 Cup dried Red Beans ($.50) (I don't use kidney because of that weird toxin thing; also, I'm going to assume you know how to soak beans etc.and skip that part).

2 cups dried rice. ($.25)

3-5 pieces of bacon ($1)

1 can diced tomatoes (I use rotell, but I like kind of spicy things) ($1, or home canned.)

Soak beans and cook for a few hours (with the bacon) until they're soft, then toss in some salt, garlic, maybe some pepper and a bit of chopped dried onions.

In a large saucepan add about 2 tablespoons of oil and toss in your dried rice with some salt and stir it around until the rice is coated in oil and turning golden, add 5 cups of water, your beans and your tomatoes (I dump the can in, juice and all.)

Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer about 20 minutes. This will cook your rice and leave a bit of extra juice. Stir and serve. I like to top mine with a dollop of sour cream. You can also cook the rice and beans separate and combine at your leisure, but that requires more stove standing, and these are easy dishes, so yeah.

You can use boudin if you can find it.  Truly authentic as a substitute for andouille!!

3 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Oh yum.  I start with a box of Zatarans.  I sauté Green or Red Peppers.  No Celery.  I cut either Beef Sausage or Beef Kielbasa on the diagonal.  I give the meat a light fry and throw it in the pot and let it all simmer for a while.  Yum.  You can't get too much Kielbasa or Sausage in the pot. 

This!  But I like celery too. 

3 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

This has been a staple at Casa Hendo for years. I usually cook up two boxes and use two Kielbasa so I can have lunch at work for a day or two.

I don't know if you can find it out west, Forty Rod, but around here we love to put Conecuh sausage for red beans-n-rice, gumbo, and jambalaya.  Cut sausage into about 1/2" length, saute, and mix into the pot.

5 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

I don't know if you can find it out west, Forty Rod, but around here we love to put Conecuh sausage for red beans-n-rice, gumbo, and jambalaya.  Cut sausage into about 1/2" length, saute, and mix into the pot.

Yep!  Had some just like that when I was visiting my parents in Fairhope this Christmas.

Okay, here's waht I ended up with:

box of Zatarains mix.

cut up six Jimmy Deans link sausage...didn't have any patties left.

about a half cup of mixed red and green bell peppers chopped up.

not an onion in the house so I used a quarter bottle of Litehouse chopped red onion.

added a couple of cloves of fresh garlic.

I think I'' try Alpo's suggestion and use some bacon.

after I cooked it I added about a half tablespoon of red Tabasco sauce...added a bit more as I went along.  That stays with it from now on.

Finagler said shrimp will work and I like shrimp, so that's on list for a later time.

I'll use a little less water like Coffinmaker does to thicken it up.

corn bread sounds good so I'll whip up a pan of it to go along.  Chief Rick's like me: you can't go wrong with corn bread and I have several versions to try out.

Not bad, a bit grainy, but it's something I can work with.

Side note 1: this makes enough for me to get another two meals our of it

Side note 2: that stuff generates enough gas to heat my house until April. 

Thanks folks.  It's  new staple on my list.

I'm in Rota, Spain this week - I'm going to have to go to the commissary and look for stuff to make red beans & sausage...

No oven in the room so no cornbread, though.

19 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

4T if you are using Zatarains you do not need to add anything but the sausage.

All of the seasoning is already in there.

kR

1 hour ago, Kid Rich said:

4T if you are using Zatarains you do not need to add anything but the sausage.

All of the seasoning is already in there.

kR

Maybe, but there is no such thing as "too much Tabasco" and I like more onions.  Zatarains is GOOD, but pobody's nerfect.  :P

21 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

If you travel to the New Orleans area, I highly recommend the red beans and rice at Bobby Hebert's! Here is a link: Bobby Hebert's

2 hours ago, Ethan Cord said:

If you travel to the New Orleans area, I highly recommend the red beans and rice at Bobby Hebert's! Here is a link: Bobby Hebert's

ETHAN!  You're still alive.  Haven't heard from you ages nor seen you in eons.  I appreciate the hint but I wouldn't go to almost anyplace much more than a hundred miles from where I'm living now.  Certainly almost nowhere outside of Arizona....'cept maybe to Las Vegas to see my son and his family. 

If I ever returned to California I'd be a felon the second I crossed the border.

Anyhow stay in touch and there's always room here for visitors.

I don’t used bell peppers for anything. Never liked em. I us Hatch Green chiles. Andouille is definitely best for red beans in my opinion. I use regular rice and add my own spices

Archived