SASS Wire Forum

SASS Membership

Harvey Macy

I would like to know if I join the Local Club of the SASS will that be enough to become a member of SASS?  Also whether there is an age limit for membership?  Finally to costume up can you do that on your own?  I would like as much information as I can get on how to become involved with this organization.  Please send me all the information you can via email.

Thank you for your assistance.

Harvey Macy

On 1/13/2021 at 2:07 PM, Harvey Macy said:

I would like to know if I join the Local Club of the SASS will that be enough to become a member of SASS?  Also whether there is an age limit for membership?  Finally to costume up can you do that on your own?  I would like as much information as I can get on how to become involved with this organization.  

Thank you for your assistance.

Harvey Macy

No.

No.

A "Costume" isn't really needed, but is encouraged. To start out Jeans, long sleeves shirt, and non-athletic shoes will suffice. 

Suggest you find a nearby club and go visit and of course ask questions here:

https://www.sassnet.com/clubs/

To join S.A.S.S. it's best to call(in my opinion)

https://www.sassnet.com/mercantile/Merc-Membership-001A.php

Hey Harvey,

SASS is the national organization.  You pay dues to SASS and get a member number, registered alias, and a lot of other perks.  Your local club may or may not charge annual dues.  Some clubs require that you are a member of SASS, some do not.  Jump on in and have fun.

If you help at a shoot by picking up brass after each shooter, that is getting involved in a helpful way.

SASS membership comes from SASS, not any local club. Membership get you a magazine each month, secures the unique alias you pick, a "badge" with your number on it, the privilege of selling in the classifieds on this forum, and whatever. I also got an official certificate suitable for framing, a sticker, and some lip balm.

Just show up at your local club and ask questions, help out if you can, and accept offers to try out other's guns. Then (and only then) go buy what you like.

Costuming? There are two official costume divisions with a bunch of other requirements. Don't worry about them yet. At a local shoot, jeans and a long sleeve shirt and non-athletic shoes is fine, and a cowboy hat is optional but recommended.

Realize you can start out with shooting in age based categories until you really decide if you want to get serious about the "costumed" categories. As has been said above , jeans, long sleeve shirt, boots and cowboy hay will get you started. See what you like first, then start investing in guns, holster, etc. Have fun!

As Allie said "Welcome". As much fun as gun buying is,  we ALL suggest that you go to local matches, even big ones like state championships and talk to everyone. Look at vendor items and try out any guns people are willing to hand to you. There are a few costume directed categories and some of those have specific gun requirements, most do not as long as the arms are SASS legal. Age categories will get you the opportunity to use adjustable sighted pistols and plenty of competition with others in the same age range, some are very fast. This is a competition and you will at some point have to decide how competitive you want to be,. Finances will dictate that, some, but just buying whatever you find or what is cheap is often the route to frustration, especially as some great firearms work perfectly but are not well suited to this particular game. There are lots of great shooters in FL, and I suspect they will welcome you at shoots. Jump in to the game my ex- called Cowboy Heroin" You will have a ball.

Imis  (Hats are not a requirement but style points help)

Just go to the match next Sunday at Doodle Hill in Ruskin. Introduce yourself around. Just throw on a cowboy hat of some kind and look, ask questions and watch. Info is in the link below. In the meantime, if this is your real address, I highly suggest that you delete it from public view. I'm sure that the folks that quoted your post will have the kindness to do the same in the quotes.

https://actionshootingnetwork.com/dhr/info

HM, joining SASS protects your alias from being assumed by other members.  National membership allows you to compete in in State and higher level matches.  I hope you progress enough to start shooting more than local matches.  Our bigger events are a hoot.  Since you mentioned age I suspect you are a youngster.  Our matches have reduced entry fees for youngsters and some are even free.  When I ran a club we had a set of firearms (.22s) for youngsters and provided free ammo. 

On 1/14/2021 at 2:21 PM, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

HM, joining SASS protects your alias from being assumed by other members.  National membership allows you to compete in in State and higher level matches.  I hope you progress enough to start shooting more than local matches.  Our bigger events are a hoot.  Since you mentioned age I suspect you are a youngster.  Our matches have reduced entry fees for youngsters and some are even free.  When I ran a club we had a set of firearms (.22s) for youngsters and provided free ammo. 

SASS membership is very reasonable for the year fee.

You not only have priviledge to shoot matches...you have access to all sorts of benifits.

Say you want to come to EOT this year, but your aren't 'ready' to shoot.

You can, with your SASS membership, register as a conventioneer or as someone's guest.

You get to stay and participate in the after hour events, and can get to know folks better! Stay on range with RV, ect.

And that is anywhere.

Little perks everywhere.

Like SASS members can dress and wear badge, get in free to Old Tuscon...

Hope you become a SASS member, join as many clubs as you choose, travel and get involved!

Archived