SASS Wire Forum

Went to the store and saw $100 ammo

Trigger Mike

As you know any ammo you find is a miracle.   I went to my local store yesterday and they had 2 boxes of eley 22 lr for $25 for 50 rounds, 2 boxes of hornady critical defense for $44 each, and a couple of boxes of winchester 150 anniversary edition 200 grain 44.40 for $99.99.  

I looked at the girl and  said $100!  Wow.  That is too high.  She said it is for a lot of rounds.  The 20 round box of hornady 205 grain was $24.99.  I did not buy any 44.40

I wonder if these prices are here to stay or will they come down? I doubt it, not with Biden/Harris!!! :angry:

I just remember to write down all these stores that are gouging prices  for future reference on who not to spend my money with.

One store near me  has rifle rounds they rarely sell and had in stock before this  silliness that are now  priced ridiculously high. 30-30 at $3.00 a round? C'mon!

These same guys are charging 80 cents a round for 9mm. They no longer need my money, apparently.

6 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I just remember to write down all these stores that are gouging prices  for future reference on who not to spend my money with.

One store near me  has rifle rounds they rarely sell and had in stock before this  silliness that are now  priced ridiculously high. 30-30 at $3.00 a round? C'mon!

These same guys are charging 80 cents a round for 9mm. They no longer need my money, apparently.

The rounds that they had in stock and raised the prices is certainly gouging but the 9mm rounds at .80 a piece is what a lot of places are charging. The LGS around here are paying more for the ammo.  

I got a Wish List notification from Midway last night.
Looking for Nosler #30150, 150gr .308 ballistic tip.
By the time I got online to Midway, they were already sold out.

Apparently, one has to have their email client running constantly, and be watching it constantly, or miss out.
I missed out.

17 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Might not be the stores, it might be the distributor's that are gouging the gun stores, who have no choice but pass that on to the consumer.

And prices had to go up at least some to cover the cost of raw materials, shipping and the extra money for new employees or employees working overtime.

11 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The rounds that they had in stock and raised the prices is certainly gouging but the 9mm rounds at .80 a piece is what a lot of places are charging. The LGS around here are paying more for the ammo.  

All I can say is the ammo store near me is a franchise owned by a husband and wife team.  I was in their store about two months ago and they were talking about their new cars and how they didn't want to haul ammo in them and were considering buying a new store van. The clerk that was helping me told me that the man just bought a new top of the line Ford Raptor 4x4 and he bought his wife a fully loaded Cadillac Escalade...with cash....He said they are now rolling in dough.

So, I conclude from this that maybe their prices might be a tad high, regardless of when they got whatever inventory.

If the LGS works the same as the gas stations, he prices his product at what it costs to get the next shipment, not what is currently in his tanks or on the shelf.
If he has nothing to sell, he has no income.

To me, the price increases are Econ 101.
I don't like it, but it makes sense to me.

My LGS has 44-40 in stock at $45 a box. Might need to grab a couple more.

I just came from Grafs retail outlet and lots of empty racks and shelves.  I got a jug of Grafs fg to try. They are out of ffg and fffg in Grafs and Goex.  

Midwayusa is out of black powder too. 

1 hour ago, Chantry said:

...And prices had to go up at least some to cover the cost of raw materials, shipping and the extra money for new employees or employees working overtime.

Vista group said all of their prices would go up 8% to cover increased costs.  Some distributors have increased above that.

Friend was in the Houston area last week and walked into a gun store there. They had pallets of ammo in several calibers. All of it was priced at 90 cents a round take your pick.

I can understand SUPPLY and demand. What I can’t abide by is people taking advantage of others in extreme ways. 

Example: 3 months ago my LGS had Winchester white box 9mm at $30 a box of 50. They apologized to customers for that price. The ammo store I mentioned above had the same exact ammo at 80 cents a round and you could only buy in lots of 500 rounds. Both store’s ammo came off the same truck that was delivering to both stores. 

Now, which store would you think was gouging and which one was operating under the laws of supply and demand?

I would rather see LGS raise their prices then see the handful of people who always seem to finagle a way to buy almost of the ammo (offered at lower price  even with limits that the finaglers will get around somehow). Then they turn around and gouge their fellow shooters because stock is low. Actually they aren't gouging their fellow shooters because most of them don't actually shoot and are merely opportunists.

3 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

The girl told me the 22 ammo cost them $18 a box that they were charging $24.95 for.  

And I remember when a box of.22LR cost 47 cnts and you could but a round for a penny  at Anderson General Store in Logan, Utah.

I used to go in and buy five rounds of  2 3/4" 12 ga. 7 1/2 chill shells for a dime a piece.  .30-06 was about the same price.

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

All I can say is the ammo store near me is a franchise owned by a husband and wife team.  I was in their store about two months ago and they were talking about their new cars and how they didn't want to haul ammo in them and were considering buying a new store van. The clerk that was helping me told me that the man just bought a new top of the line Ford Raptor 4x4 and he bought his wife a fully loaded Cadillac Escalade...with cash....He said they are now rolling in dough.

So, I conclude from this that maybe their prices might be a tad high, regardless of when they got whatever inventory.

These are the folks that should have been managing Remington and Colt!  They know how to make money!!

:)

3 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

The girl told me the 22 ammo cost them $18 a box that they were charging $24.95 for.  

Sunday I got 300 rounds of CCI 22LR Mini-Mag for $27

Those stores that are sticking it to you. I am writing off and will never buy from.

Same store I have been getting 9mm for .27cents a round.

The distributors that my local gun shop deals with...when they do have ammo...just tell him what they have...won’t give a price. He doesn’t know what it is going to cost him until they send him the invoice.

Not saying there's not gouging going on, especially in the private resale (e.g., gunbroker, et al.) market.

But truth be told, just like gas stations that mark up the price on the gas in their tanks, reloading components are now a volatile futures market, and retailers that want to stay in business have to sell their stock marked up for what they expect their replacement cost to be, not what the cost of their current stock cost was.

That isn't likely to effect big retailers with contracts much, but at the local level it's got to be tough.

I don't know what the cost of primers is going to on the distributor, wholesale market but I don't expect it to be what it was a few months ago. Especially with the anticipation of new regulations, restrictions, etc. effecting the price.

Person buys gold in 2000 at $275 a Troy ounce. He decides to sell at todays prices of $1850 a Troy ounce. Does that make him a gouger or is he just taking advantage of the current situation and pricing? How much will it cost him to replace that gold in 6 months? What about 8 months? A year?

Sorry folks, no one is twisting peoples arm to buy ammo or primers. There's an old adage that goes something like this "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part".

5 hours ago, Chantry said:

Might not be the stores, it might be the distributor's that are gouging the gun stores, who have no choice but pass that on to the consumer.

And prices had to go up at least some to cover the cost of raw materials, shipping and the extra money for new employees or employees working overtime.

Exactly, the gun shops are paying more from the distributors which are paying more from the manufacturers!!! Chain of supply.

Just ordered more AR mags from MIdway and some tools to help me process all my Lake City brass. Not that I have an evil Black rifle mind you. 

Not just supply, but demand, let's not forget. I'm not too concerned about the prices because I have enough, bought a box or two at a time over the years. So I can shoot at the range for several months. Thus I won't pay the high prices. But I've struck it three times at Bass over the months and topped up ammo at 'regular' retail prices. I appreciate that when they get it in, they limit quantities, but they keep the old pricing.

If it's still like this in six months with no end in sight, then I'll be paying the high prices, too. Right now it's wait it out.

I am going to wait until the supply is better, and the prices are not obscene. I flatly refuse to pay out the kazoo (I have often wondered where, exactly, a kazoo is on a person...but perhaps it's better to not know) for ammunition, primers, or powder, or bullets. I have several pounds of black powder, and I have some flintlocks, that I will shoot, until, hopefully, some sanity, returns to the market. I can't fault a business owner in trying to maintain a certain percentage of profit You have to have gain, in order to stay in business....but, I have to spend wisely, or simply refrain from spending, until things settle down...if they ever do. I cannot justify spending several hundred dollars for primers. I will de-prime the brass, put it in my brass tumbler/vibrator, and have clean brass ready to prime, and load, when/if things get more reasonable.

Now would be a good time to consider buying a flintlock. No one has the market cornered on rocks that spark...yet. I don't need no stinkin' badges...err...I mean primers.   

3 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

I would rather see LGS raise their prices then see the handful of people who always seem to finagle a way to buy almost of the ammo (offered at lower price  even with limits that the finaglers will get around somehow). Then they turn around and gouge their fellow shooters because stock is low. Actually they aren't gouging their fellow shooters because most of them don't actually shoot and are merely opportunists.

Go easy on the finaglers:P  Can't say as I disagree with you.  I went to the local store, hardware store that also sells firearms.  Their selection of firearms was pretty decent.  The shelves for ammo were bare.  Oh a couple boxes here and there, some odd calibers but for the most part, bare.  They did have some shot shells but I didn't pay them any mind.

My Local gun shop is also a indoor range, without ammo to sell they’re cooked. They’ve been getting reloads from Tennessee Cartridge co. who raised their prices to the gun shop. $30.00 for 50 rounds of 9mm that used to be $18.00. That’s the retail price. The owner said Tennessee raised his price by 50%!!!!

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

And I remember when a box of.22LR cost 47 cnts and you could but a round for a penny  at Anderson General Store in Logan, Utah.

I must have been buying the good stuff. 22LR was 52¢ for 50 at Mills Hardware in Robertsville, OH in the early 60's.

4 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Person buys gold in 2000 at $275 a Troy ounce. He decides to sell at todays prices of $1850 a Troy ounce. Does that make him a gouger or is he just taking advantage of the current situation and pricing? How much will it cost him to replace that gold in 6 months? What about 8 months? A year?

Sorry folks, no one is twisting peoples arm to buy ammo or primers. There's an old adage that goes something like this "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part".

I used to have a sign that said that above my work bench 

2 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Just got a email from cheaper than dirt,

American Quality .380 ACP Ammunition 100 Rounds FMJ 95 Grain Loaded in Winchester Brass W38095VP100

Our Low Price $199.89

$2.00 a round before shipping!

Why anyone would buy from them is beyond me.

They are the worst at jacking up prices.

Think they even got brought up on charges for it if I remember right.

1 minute ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

Why anyone would buy from them is beyond me.

They are the worst at jacking up prices.

Think they even got brought up on charges for it if I remember right.

Texas AG I believe.

5 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Gold is a completely different market.  If you had a buddy who sells gold bullion and next week he has some coming in but instead of offering it to everyone he's not going to sell it all to you for $1000 an oz. (Just for an example) letting you corner the local market, and let you turn around and sell it for $1600 per oz. Not going to happen.

Archived