SASS Wire Forum

Went to the store and saw $100 ammo

Trigger Mike

15 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Person buys gold in 2000 at $275 a Troy ounce. He decides to sell at todays prices of $1850 a Troy ounce. Does that make him a gouger or is he just taking advantage of the current situation and pricing? How much will it cost him to replace that gold in 6 months? What about 8 months? A year?

Sorry folks, no one is twisting peoples arm to buy ammo or primers. There's an old adage that goes something like this "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part".

I understand what you're saying, and I'm familiar with the whole idea of let the market sort itself out, higher demand signals manufacturers to increase supply and forces choices on consumers, etc. I get that.

But I also get that pricing in the market is exacerbated and distorted by speculation, pirating, gouging, profiteering -- whatever you want to call it. 

The shooter who has some extra boxes on his shelves and decides to turn a profit, the LGS that responds to high demand by bumping their prices. I don't see that as gouging. That's the market at work. That forces shooters to make choices that actually benefit other shooters trying to get primers, like more dry firing, fewer practice rounds downrange, that sort of thing.

But I've got a slightly different view of people who buy something for no reason other than to bump the price without adding any value in the process. Their goal is not to help keep cowboys on the stage -- it's to help themselves out by working some angle or advantage to jump in between the sellers and the buyers, and forcing the transaction to go through them.

Yes, it's legal (generally). Yes, it's made possible by people who failed to plan to have enough shooting supplies on hand to get through supply restrictions brought on by an unprecedented perfect storm of political upheaval, pandemic, manufacturer bankruptcy, and looming government hostility to shooters. Yes, everyone has a choice as to whether or not to buy from speculators. 

And I like your example of gold as an investment compared to primers. Before this gets sorted out, I reckon the general price per pound between the two might not be much different.

18 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Gold is an investment metal. Ammo is to use and shoot!

I also invest in precious metals, brass & lead! 

On 1/13/2021 at 8:24 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

All I can say is the ammo store near me is a franchise owned by a husband and wife team.  I was in their store about two months ago and they were talking about their new cars and how they didn't want to haul ammo in them and were considering buying a new store van. The clerk that was helping me told me that the man just bought a new top of the line Ford Raptor 4x4 and he bought his wife a fully loaded Cadillac Escalade...with cash....He said they are now rolling in dough.

So, I conclude from this that maybe their prices might be a tad high, regardless of when they got whatever inventory.

I saw likes 2 blocks long outside gun shops in the past several months. Empty racks and display cases. Shelves stripped of ammo. I’m not surprised guys are buying new cars even without gouging. Shop owners will tell you they’ve never seen anything like it in their lives.

I was at a gun show in Lake Havasu two weekends ago. Factory ammo was $1 to $5 per round depending on the caliber/cartridge and folks were buying them. I saw piles of questionable ammo, reloads, partial boxes of ancient hunting ammo also offered. There is no way I would risk it for unknown ammo.

Archived