SASS Wire Forum

LEE Loader 10 ga 2 7/8: Charge table

"Big Boston"

I saw a couple of LEE loaders advertised locally, priced reasonably(ish), and picked them up. The 20 ga and 16 ga were mostly complete but the 10 ga kit is missing the shot dipper, the powder dipper is probably incorrect and it does not have the charge table. 

bnIMYhWl.jpg

I'd like to complete the set, and I've been searching for a copy or a picture of an original charge table, so I can print it out. More for collector reasons as I don't own a 10 ga at this time, and the data on those charts is mostly obsolete. 

Alternately, if someone could share their favourite load,  I'd make up my own charge table and put in the dippers I need and just label it as for Cowboy loads. 

I've found a few loads on the Parker Collectors forum, but I'd rather have some Cowboy data. 

Thanks, Big Boston

22 hours ago, "Big Boston" said:

I saw a couple of LEE loaders advertised locally, priced reasonably(ish), and picked them up. The 20 ga and 16 ga were mostly complete but the 10 ga kit is missing the shot dipper, the powder dipper is probably incorrect and it does not have the charge table. 

bnIMYhWl.jpg

I'd like to complete the set, and I've been searching for a copy or a picture of an original charge table, so I can print it out. More for collector reasons as I don't own a 10 ga at this time, and the data on those charts is mostly obsolete. 

Alternately, if someone could share their favourite load,  I'd make up my own charge table and put in the dippers I need and just label it as for Cowboy loads. 

I've found a few loads on the Parker Collectors forum, but I'd rather have some Cowboy data. 

Thanks, Big Boston

If you could figure out the size of dipper you need I might be able to help you with that. I have quite a few of the black ones.

kR

Kid Rich: thanks. I picked up 2 sets of the old black/red dippers a few years back just for these occasions. The sets were mostly complete, one wit notes on what dipper to use for 303 Br. 

My asking on "The Wire" is one of the resources I've tapped  into. 

So far, I did find a picture of an old Charge Table, an original,  just one load with a #10 (pre black/red) dipper. The load is 1 5/8 oz shot . Al-5 powder, 44 gr.  I found a reference chart, and an original #10 is equivalent to a red/black 230, so I exchanged the 258 that was in the kit with that one.

I enjoy these little projects, always a learning experience.

Yusta B: Unfortunately these shotgun reloading kits were produced by LEE Custom Engineering which later changed their name to MRC Mequon, and they went out of business in the '80's. I had some recollection of that, and seeing as for a time Richard Lee was a minor shareholder in LEE Custom Engineering, i did contact LEE Precision. This is their response to my request: "The Lee Loader for shotgun shells were made by Lee Custom Engineering. For the whole story, read Richard Lee's article in Handloaders Digest, 17 th. ed. Lee Custom Engineering has been out of business since 1988, and Lee Precision does not make parts for those tools. We have no plans in bringing this tool in to regular production. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Cusz M Dutch: Thanks, BP is always an option. 

In addition to Cowboy, I have a bit of a 310 tool and LEE Loader collector habit. I try to only buy them when they are cheap, but sometimes I've been known to pay up for an interesting one. Collecting LEE Loader and 310 tools started on a slow day at our local gunshow, and picked up a pile off a table for a few bucks. I've resold lots, but still have too many. By far the best seller is a 410 LEE Loader, very popular. 

I even started a Lyman Tru-Line Jr, 310 tools and 310 die users group, feel free to join if you'd like at  https://www.facebook.com/groups/246554373429503

Unfortunately you have to join facebook as well.

BB 

10 ga charge table.jpg

10 ga 1.jpg

Thought I’d be able to help out, but my kit is for 3 1/2 loads. Here is the photo anyways just for kicks. Notice the charge card has the same 1964 date as the one Big Boston posted.  I use this to feed my ‘87.  I use the cigar trimmer to cut down the hulls. Works well!

1371E4F5-2104-4BC1-B4C4-B7CF6D602C55.jpeg

8 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Thought I’d be able to help out, but my kit is for 3 1/2 loads. Here is the photo anyways just for kicks. Notice the charge card has the same 1964 date as the one Big Boston posted.  I use this to feed my ‘87.  I use the cigar trimmer to cut down the hulls. Works well!

1371E4F5-2104-4BC1-B4C4-B7CF6D602C55.jpeg

For my purposes, that is good information. It does show me what the dippers looked like. Unfortunately the 10M is not listed in my chart, but a 258 has 47 gr of AL-7 listed as it's charge.

I have a question on the shot dipper, it looks like the adjustable one from the era. My 16 ga in the old red box has a shot dipper that you flip the bottom over to switch from small to large. I've used these to cobble some 16 ga 2 9/16 for my 1897.

Although the LEE Loaders were introduced after 1900, I do think of them as "Cowboy" or "Bunkhouse" tools. 

BB 

LEE 16.jpg

LEE Loader Charge Chart.jpg.jpeg

Archived