SASS Wire Forum

Packing cowboy hats

Lawdog Dago Dom

Walmart has 16x16 boxes for 1.34. Pile peanuts in there and they would hold several hats.

2 minutes ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

$26.00 each?

Ouch.

Gotta be a better way.

I guess it depend on how much you paid for the hat.

$50.00 = It gets put in the back seat and is used at monthly shoots.

$500.00 = I am putting it in a box.

$1000.00 = I am putting it in a STRONG BOX and watching how it is packed in the van!

U-Haul and Lowes sell various Boxes. One will be sure to fit properly.

1 minute ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

I guess it depend on how much you paid for the hat.

$50.00 = It gets put in the back seat and is used at monthly shoots.

$1000.00 = I am putting it in a STRONG BOX and watching how it is packed in the van!

I am in agreement with this.

1 minute ago, Cholla said:

U-Haul and Lowes sell various Boxes. One will be sure to fit properly.

We have those all over the house. Just wondered if anyone had a good method using a U-haul/Home Depot/Loews box.

7 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Walmart has 16x16 boxes for 1.34. Pile peanuts in there and they would hold several hats.

How deep are they?

Just now, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

We have those all over the house. Just wondered if anyone had a good method using a U-haul/Home Depot/Loews box.

How deep are they?

Just looked, 16x16x17

I have a couple of cardboard hat boxes that you could make yourself.  It's basically a tall, square box with a cardboard tube in the center for the crown.  You can cover the top edges of the tube with foam to protect the crown.  Fill around the hat with padding, peanuts or such and you should be good.  I'll check the dimensions when I get home.  I agree with Ace also. 

Just go to your local western wear store.  They should have tons of extra hat boxes in the back room.  Every time I buy a new hat from my local western store, they look at me like I'm weird for asking for the box.  They usually just throw them away when folks buy hats "off the rack".

I guess it would depend on how many you got. I don't know where I got this from. Got it from a vendor at Mule Camp many many years back. The first Triple Decker I'd ever seen, but I've seen many of the singles. This is designed to hold three, but I've carried six in it with no problem.

IMG_20210113_072741724~2.jpg

I'm cheap.  I would fill the hat with other clothes that I need to pack anyway.  Fill in and around, making a solid, full, box containing a hat and other clothes.  That way the box can be a regular old box, but still protect the hat.

10 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

A $500 hat would ride in the truck with me.

A $1000 hat would get to ride in the front seat.

If you have a Boot Barn or  Western Wear shop in your area call and find out if they have any extra hat boxes.

I got a nice hat box from Boot Barn that had the cardboard insert in it that allowed me  to put my hat in upside down so it wasn't resting on the bottom side of  the brim.

Just get ya a sturdy 14x14 inch box about 8 inches high it will hold how every many hats you have, just toss all the hats in it. Then get a nice 25 lb iron free weight and drop it on top of the hats and you're all set to go.  :D

Those collapsible banker’s boxes that you can buy at Staples or other office supply stores are inexpensive and should hold some hats, as long as the brims aren’t huge.

Archived