SASS Wire Forum

1894 Marlin Trapper build

Baltimore Ed

Started another build today. Normally I like long bbl’ed rifles especially muskets but I’ve been enjoying the 1873/76 Centennial build so much I decided to cut my wife’s old never used 1894s .45 down to a 16 1/2 inch Trapper with a src butt and forearm. Waiting on the buttstock and carbine rear sight. Cut the bbl and magazine tube and opened the mag tube channel in the forearm and opened up the front sight bbl band. Used my table disc sander to true up my cuts but I’ll borrow my buds facing tools to do it right. Tomorrow I need to instal a new belt drive on my mini mill to drill the holes in the mag tube for the endcap. 

C7DDAF1E-A781-4A0D-ACB8-AA412D2C97D7.jpeg

Ed,

At one time (I think it was back in the 90's),  Marlin produced some 16.5" barreled 1894's.

I bought one each in .44 mag and .45 Colt.   I still own the .45 Colt.    They were round barrel with NO barrel band.

They did have the fore end cap.

According to the letter which came with them, Marlin only produce 1051 of each caliber.

You'll love the handling of your trapper.   Looks like you've done a good job.

..........Widder

I’ve been reading about Marlins run of these short barreled rifles, too bad they still don’t offer them. A rifle with a 16.5 in bbl, a factory modified lifter and chambered for C45S would be a real big seller for the Marlin lover cas crowd. I’ll probably not mess with the lifter as mine will hold 10 Schofield loads and runs fine. I’ve shortened the mag spring to make more room. I might drill out the endcap to make a little more room for the spring if I need it.  It needs a lever wrap too. Can’t imagine that it didn’t have one at some time but haven’t shot it in a match in almost 20 years using my 24 inch Cowboy Ltd. For many years the Ltd was my only cas rifle. Since retirement I’ve bought ‘66 and ‘73 Muskets and finished my Stoeger build. 

Several years ago I bought a late '70s 1894 in 44 Mag, a rusted pile of... well, rusty metal.  I got a new 45 Colt Cowboy bbl with it, and proceeded to convert it to run C45S.  Cut the bbl to 17", holds enough C45S to shoot all week!  Still need to finish the metal refinishing (polishing) to have the receiver CCH'd.  Yes... I can procrastinate with the best!

I've been watching for a 45 colt barrel at a good price.

I have an 1889 Marlin receiver with nothing else. I think it would take 1894 parts as the 1894 was just an improved version of the 1889. Would be like having an engine block and building a car around it.

I also have a old 1894 in 25WCF that was a project gun just put together from spare parts on hand.  I've thought about trying to convert it to a large caliber.  

All it takes is money, talent and time. 

On 1/12/2021 at 8:38 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Ed,

At one time (I think it was back in the 90's),  Marlin produced some 16.5" barreled 1894's.

I bought one each in .44 mag and .45 Colt.   I still own the .45 Colt.    They were round barrel with NO barrel band.

They did have the fore end cap.

According to the letter which came with them, Marlin only produce 1051 of each caliber.

You'll love the handling of your trapper.   Looks like you've done a good job.

..........Widder

I have one of those in 44 Mag.  They were named the “1894 Limited” .  I bought mine used in 2005 after my first tour in Iraq.  I was with the 1st Cavalry Div and thought it looked good with my Cav Stetson and gold combat spurs.  It’s still one of my favorite rifles to this day! 

6 hours ago, Colt6732 said:

I have one of those in 44 Mag.  They were named the “1894 Limited” .  I bought mine used in 2005 after my first tour in Iraq.  I was with the 1st Cavalry Div and thought it looked good with my Cav Stetson and gold combat spurs.  It’s still one of my favorite rifles to this day! 

Kinda ironic because I sold my .44 mag to a gun dealer around 2005.    I don't have the serial number but it was in VERY GOOD

condition.   I never shot it much because I always enjoyed my .45 Colt, especially with hot loads.

..........Widder

Archived